Unlicensed driver Crashes into Hatfield

mrs.cos

(why cant i edit my title and correct my horrible mistype?)

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/jan/04/unlicensed-driver-crashes-through-dealership-door--ar-884437/

Unlicensed Driver Crashes Through Dealership Door, Hits New Vehicles

http://www2.nbc4i.com/mgmedia/image/294/0/69690/crash-hatfield-hyundai/

A unlicensed driver crashes through a dealership’s service-bay doors, into three new vehicles on the lot and into a tow truck Wednesday afternoon.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A driver crashes through a dealership’s service-bay door, into three new vehicles and into a tow truck Wednesday afternoon.

A female brought the Hyundai car she purchased Tuesday into Hatfield Hyundai, 1400 Auto Mall Dr., for help because she couldn’t get the key out of the car’s ignition. She did not purchase the car at the West Side dealership.

She drove the vehicle into the service bay and thought the vehicle was in park. It actually was in reverse and started going backward.

The car crashed through the service-bay door and into three brand-new Subaru vehicles.

At least one of those vehicles was totaled.

When the car was traveling backward, she also crashed into a tow-truck that was bringing in another vehicle for service.

The tow-truck driver was transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.

Columbus police told NBC4 the driver doesn’t have an operator’s license and isn’t insured. She will be charged with operating a vehicle without a valid license.

CPD did not identify her or give any identifying information.

The incident happened on private property so Columbus police only can charge her. The rest is between her and the dealership, CPD said.

The dealership did not comment.

A unlicensed driver crashes through a dealership’s service-bay doors, into three new vehicles on the lot and into a tow truck Wednesday afternoon.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A driver crashes through a dealership’s service-bay door, into three new vehicles and into a tow truck Wednesday afternoon.

A female brought the Hyundai car she purchased Tuesday into Hatfield Hyundai, 1400 Auto Mall Dr., for help because she couldn’t get the key out of the car’s ignition. She did not purchase the car at the West Side dealership.

She drove the vehicle into the service bay and thought the vehicle was in park. It actually was in reverse and started going backward.

The car crashed through the service-bay door and into three brand-new Subaru vehicles.

When the car was traveling backward, she also crashed into a tow-truck that was bringing in another vehicle for service.

Columbus police told NBC4 the driver doesn’t have an operator’s license and isn’t insured. She will be charged with operating a vehicle without a valid license.

The incident happened on private property so Columbus police only can charge her. The rest is between her and the dealership, CPD said.

The dealership did not comment. [/Quote]

I went a head and hi-lighted the problem areas. Hopefully we as a society can learn for out mistakes and take action to prevent future disasters.

The dealership did not comment.]

I went a head and hi-lighted the problem areas. Hopefully we as a society can learn for out mistakes and take action to prevent future disasters.

Quoted in case someone missed it

Maybe dealers should make sure a lisence is valid instead of just making a copy or taking down your number

You don't have to have a license to buy a car. As long as you have a state ID, you can purchase a car. You just can't drive one off the lot. Also, the story clearly stated she didn't buy it from the dealer. Could have been purchased private party and then gotten a 30 day tag from the registrar.

But sure, blame the dealer....

What is the penalty for not having insurance?

A pretty costly ticket, both in price and how it affects your insurance (assuming you got insurance after getting a ticket for not having it, can affect your rate as much as an at fault accident). In some cases you might be required to carry an SR-22 with your car insurance too which can hurt you for up to 3 years.

oted from an employee on my facebook;

"A woman was in the service drive and when she started the car the engine revved all the way up, She put the vehicle in reverse, slammed through the door and hit a tow truck driver dropping off a vehicle, then she smashed into 3 brand new Subarus totaling one. No ops, no insurace, she just bought it a couple days ago!!! Not here!"

She's screwed. Didn't even buy it there.

She's screwed. Didn't even buy it there.

Ehh.. They'll try to sue her and find she has no money. The courts will eventually release the car to her rather than sell it off to pay the dealership because people "need" cars. And she'll be back to driving uninsured and unlicensed.

As for totaling new, unsold, cars, I don't think it'd be that difficult. I'll bet rather than cost of repairs vs value of car that the dealership's insurance looks at cost of repairs vs potential profit. If it costs more to fix than they'll make selling the car I bet it gets "totaled." Then the dealership buys it from the insurance company for a song and sells it used for a massive profit.

Ehh.. They'll try to sue her and find she has no money. The courts will eventually release the car to her rather than sell it off to pay the dealership because people "need" cars. And she'll be back to driving uninsured and unlicensed.

As for totaling new, unsold, cars, I don't think it'd be that difficult. I'll bet rather than cost of repairs vs value of car that the dealership's insurance looks at cost of repairs vs potential profit. If it costs more to fix than they'll make selling the car I bet it gets "totaled." Then the dealership buys it from the insurance company for a song and sells it used for a massive profit.

Sometimes. Its too bad Hatfield is Self Insured.

A pretty costly ticket' date=' both in price and how it affects your insurance (assuming you got insurance after getting a ticket for not having it, can affect your rate as much as an at fault accident). In some cases you might be required to carry an SR-22 with your car insurance too which can hurt you for up to 3 years.[/quote']

Anytime you are ticketed for no insurance, you have to have an SR22 for the next 3 years.