Android Phags...Thunderbolt is Dying (Not Software Related)

Bigbird

Alright, so the "Up Volume" button on my Thunderbolt has started to stick. I'm not entirely sure why. It was fine earlier today, and I haven't dropped it since then. I'm thinking that because of this, I'm stuck on the ROM I'm currently running. Those of you that are Rooted/ROM'd see the issue with this.

Not only this, but its annoying as hell when trying to turn my ringer volume down, media volume, etc. It's obviously not impossible (can still use the menu), but it's very annoying. My question is, what do I do now?

I could use my insurance and get a CPO Thunderbolt (I'm assuming they're still giving them out). However, that requires paying my $99 (RIDICULOUS) deductible.

I read online that Verizon now does trade-in's on phones. I appraised mine on their website (only parameters being that you can turn it on, the screen works, and it isn't cracked) and I would get $99 for it. I could use this to put towards the full price of a new phone, most likely the Rezound. Does anyone know of any coupons out now that I could use to lower the full cost of a phone more?

Which would you go with and why? I suppose it makes more sense to go with the CPO Thunderbolt, and wait patiently until July for my upgrade. The uber phone nerd in me wants to say screw that, get a phone now, and have a sweet backup phone (Rezound) for when I upgrade to something not even released yet in July.

My screen on/off just started doing that on my incredible sometimes...ive only got 2.5 months left so i said screw it, ill wait...but when i press it to turn the screen off, it acts like i held it down and the shutdown menu pops up

But id wait to get the upgrade if i were you

Get the galaxy nexus at all costs.

It's that good.

Ehhh...I'm not terribly impressed with the specs. I didn't really get to play with one, but I also didn't like how light it was when I did get to hold it for a minute. Also, while I do really like ASOP, I like to have the option of running Sense if I want to.

My screen on/off just started doing that on my incredible sometimes...ive only got 2.5 months left so i said screw it, ill wait...but when i press it to turn the screen off, it acts like i held it down and the shutdown menu pops up

But id wait to get the upgrade if i were you

See that's the problem though. I want good backup phone I can depend on in the event whatever phone I'm using really bites it. One way or another I'm getting a new phone. I just have to decide if it's going to be a new Thunderbolt through Asurion, or if someone can hook me up with a coupon, I'll go with a new one. I'll still consider the Nexus (especially since I'll have another upgrade this summer), but the Rezound has the better specs, and is a smidge cheaper.

I'm really glad I didn't throw the new ICS ROM on my Bolt to play with, and then have this happen. I'd be ultron screwed.

I like to hear someone else that likes sense...there were so many non-sense (lol) roms when i rooted mine, i was glad to find SR3.5. Next phone will be something htc just for the fact i like the sense UI.

I've honestly ran into more problems with CM7 ROMs than I have with various Sense 2.1/3.0/3.5/hybrid ROMs on my Bolt.

Loving my rezound. Hands down the best phone I have ever owned... and I get new phones to play with weekly. The nexus is a good phone for customizing the way you want but the rezound takes better pictures, especially in low light. I use that feature a lot on vacations so the nexus was a no go after test pics. Its a shame they did all that work and put just an ok camera in it. I wanted one bad too...

I also don't mind the way sense was incorporated in the rezound. Not as customizable as a nexus but also not annoying or in the way.

Edited by V8 Beast

I've had just about every android phone since the D1, including a host of Phones with sense. Always could not wait to get a de-sensed rom.

just giving you shit. For the average user like me though, I enjoy it...i had i think it was CM7 and immediately said fuck this and switched back

Get the galaxy nexus at all costs.

It's that good.

Yup. I paid full price, totally worth it. People don't understand what it's like to have a nexus device over any other Android phone until you own one.

touchwiz:dumb::dumb:

Sense :dumb::dumb:

blur :dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

not getting the latest version of android :dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

Ryan,

Just get an iPhone and call it a day :fuckyeah:

3G :lolguy:

Beyond that, Carly has one and I'm not the least bit impressed.

Yup. I paid full price, totally worth it. People don't understand what it's like to have a nexus device over any other Android phone until you own one.

touchwiz:dumb::dumb:

Sense :dumb::dumb:

blur :dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

not getting the latest version of android :dumb::dumb::dumb::dumb:

I do really really like AOSP. However, I've ALWAYS had problems with it. With this current ROM (ThunderShed CM7.2 RC1) I can't even answer the phone when I'm listening to the FM radio with my headphones on. The phone just freezes, and that doesn't happen on my Sense ROM. And now I can't change the ROM on this phone. Maybe this is fixed in ICS, and I would gladly run an ICS AOSP ROM if that's the case.

That's because its a user built rom and there hasn't been a nexus phone that had a FM app stock. I know the nexus ones CPU was capable of sending and receiving FM, I've used it, but I'm not sure if the galaxy nexus' has that.

Please please test out the nexus before hand if you plan on getting one. The return rate on that thing is getting crazy.

That's what I've heard. What are people bitching about? The verizon car dock is a joke though, typical verizon to sell some cheap-o version of the OEM dock.

I love the sense lock screen with the circle and 4 apps shortcut.

ICS has that too to an extent, except it's right to unlock, left for camera. It would be cool if they would just add a few spots up top for custom quick launching of apps.

I nearly had myself completely talked out of the whole thing. I was just going to get another Thunderbolt and be done with it...then I went and played with the Rezound and Nexus on my break, bad idea.

Honestly I thought the Rezound felt a bit snappier initially, but I only spent a few seconds on it. I threw Go Launcher on the Nexus and themed it and really started to like it. The YouTube video I watched looked better on the Nexus to be honest. The only really bad thing was that the back of the display phone was held on with duct tape. Dammit...I'm now leaning Nexus.

That's what I've heard. What are people bitching about? The verizon car dock is a joke though, typical verizon to sell some cheap-o version of the OEM dock.

Verizon customers have been using sense, blurr, etc for years. Vanilla is too bland for them out of the box. Having all the hype then having a blank canvas wasnt what they expected.

P.s. Eric, I use magic locker to customize my lock screens. The sense lock screen is an option to use on non sense phones. They have some cool ones in there.