Parents, don't teach your kids to "play" like this.

TimTaylor751647545500

Connell (Wash.) High's Cole Vanderbilt was a relative unknown in the basketball world, but all that changed two days ago, when a viral YouTube video turned him into one of the most hated players in Washington.

As the Tri-City Herald reported, Vanderbilt turned into public enemy number one when Michael Christenson decided to film a game between Connell and Highland (Wash.) High to prove to parents at Highland that the basketball league needed better officials.

As it turns out, the clip did more than just spotlight an officiating problem; it also made seniors Cole Vanderbilt and teammate Kennan VanHollebeke look like the dirtiest players on the court.

Someone apparently didn't appreciate the fouls -- the fifth foul is definitely of the flagrant variety -- because before anyone could blink, the video had gone viral, with one website proclaiming Vanderbilt to be "the dirtiest basketball player in America."

While Christenson certainly proved his point with the video, what he didn't expect was the outcry on YouTube from commenters who viewed the clip. The negative and sometimes hurtful responses to the fouls forced Vanderbilt's coaches and family to go into damage-control mode.

"[Cole Vanderbilt] a tough kid, but those that know him know he's a teddy bear," Connell coach Oscar Garza told the Tri-City Herald. "My 7-year-old son loves him and lights up when he's around. But on (YouTube) he's the world's meanest, ugliest kid. It's not fair, but I just want him to know his teammates and coaches are behind him."

Even though you could probably make a case that most of the fouls, while aggressive in nature, weren't of the flagrant variety, there's no doubting the fifth foul is definitely the kind of bushleague garbage that should get you kicked out of a game.

It's clear from the way Vanderbilt goes after the Highland player that he had no intention of going for the ball; he was merely trying to make sure the player never had a chance to make it to the hoop.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Video-of-flagrant-foul-no-calls-at-basketball-ga?urn=highschool-wp10756

Sickens me the way he's smiling while the kid who's head he tried to rip off is shooting free throws.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks just like any team that 1. has aggressive kids 2. has no real basketball skills other than their kids being aggressive. Instead of beating them on a skill level it appears they try to do it by intimidating already intimidated high school kids. Its funny how one group or community can have a whole group of kids that are far more aggressive than anothers and for no apparant reason. When I moved to Pickerington in 93 the whole dynamic of the kids confidence was different from where I had come from, always found that interesting.

Someone needs to whip that fat white trash ass. You can argue some of them are unintentional, but from the looks of things, all of them are flagrant fouls. Those refs needs to be fired as well.

i would probably be angry and commit fouls if i were fat like that too.

LOL

Someone needs to whip that fat white trash ass. You can argue some of them are unintentional, but from the looks of things, all of them are flagrant fouls. Those refs needs to be fired as well.

LOL

Thats probably the problem, if your allowed to get away with that especially as a kid, your going to do it as an adult. Now if someone smacked him like a bitch the first time he did it, chances are it would have been his last.

Cent 1. Coach needs fired! It's his responsibility to keep their team in line. He's probably a douche bag also!

Cent 2. The parents are also responsible, bet the dad is a douche to.

Cent 3. The ref's are just fucking stupid and need fired also. Did you see the bald one laughing after the first foul?

This shit just flat pisses me off.

There, now I feel better and I got to give my 3 cents.

Fouls...

#1, not flagrant, kid is just not that good, lacks coordination and missed his swipe at the ball and hit hte kid... personal foul, good call.

#2, not 34 this time, 42... it is a foul, from another not very good player, going after the ball in a very uncoordinated sloppy manner.... personal foul, good call.

#3, again, fatty just sucks, thought he was going to take a jumpshot and went for a very uncoordinated swat... personal foul, good call.

#4, Number 42.. flagrant personal foul, shoves the guy in an attempt to get ball/defend hoop. But that kind of push is pretty forking common so, if it had been his first foul, a lot of refs would have just called it a personal foul. But he shoved the kid, that is excessive. Not a great call.

#5, Flagrant intentional foul, though borderline to just flagrant personal foul. Fatty is uncoordinated and not good at basketball, and uses his weight to get an advantage. He was clearly going ot stop the kid from driving to hte lane, but no way did he mean to wrap up and drop hte kid beforehand. I am sure he didnt mind it at all though. Bad call.

#6, Personal foul, but at this point, a lot of refs would call the T just because of hte previous fouls.. but again, fatty sucks and was using his weight combined with this poor basketball skills hoping to get the ball, not trying to throw the kid on the ground. Not a horrible call...

Basically, the guy that put on the video is clearly a whiner that doesnt know much about how sports are. The team definitely had 5 good fouls, two of which shold have been Technical, but those fouls probably go on in eleventy billion games every month.

PS, the slow motion shit is retarded, things arent that slow, reactions and poor coordination dont work that slow

Flagrant fouls are excessive fouls, with "severe" contact... pushing, shoving, elbowing, tripping, spitting, swinging on... any action that is clearly a "fighting" move... The shove on #4 qualifies and hte severe contact to the guy driving the lane probably qualify... the rest do not.

If you look at each foul, you could say most were not flagrant, but if you take all six into consideration, you cannot deny what roll these two have on the team and what their actual goal was here.

that's not how calling fouls is suppose to work. The severity of the call doesnt increase just because you have had some before... you just foul out.

also, if you ask me, I think the comments in that video, just further prove that the Pussification of America is a real threat.

Fouls...

#1, not flagrant, kid is just not that good, lacks coordination and missed his swipe at the ball and hit hte kid... personal foul, good call.

#2, not 34 this time, 42... it is a foul, from another not very good player, going after the ball in a very uncoordinated sloppy manner.... personal foul, good call.

#3, again, fatty just sucks, thought he was going to take a jumpshot and went for a very uncoordinated swat... personal foul, good call.

#4, Number 42.. flagrant personal foul, shoves the guy in an attempt to get ball/defend hoop. But that kind of push is pretty forking common so, if it had been his first foul, a lot of refs would have just called it a personal foul. But he shoved the kid, that is excessive. Not a great call.

#5, Flagrant intentional foul, though borderline to just flagrant personal foul. Fatty is uncoordinated and not good at basketball, and uses his weight to get an advantage. He was clearly going ot stop the kid from driving to hte lane, but no way did he mean to wrap up and drop hte kid beforehand. I am sure he didnt mind it at all though. Bad call.

#6, Personal foul, but at this point, a lot of refs would call the T just because of hte previous fouls.. but again, fatty sucks and was using his weight combined with this poor basketball skills hoping to get the ball, not trying to throw the kid on the ground. Not a horrible call...

Basically, the guy that put on the video is clearly a whiner that doesnt know much about how sports are. The team definitely had 5 good fouls, two of which shold have been Technical, but those fouls probably go on in eleventy billion games every month.

PS, the slow motion shit is retarded, things arent that slow, reactions and poor coordination dont work that slow

I agree with all of this. I think in #5 he went for the ball, missed, and thought "ah fuck it" and threw the kid down.

The rest just looked like a bunch of bad slow basketball players.

that's not how calling fouls is suppose to work. The severity of the call doesnt increase just because you have had some before... you just foul out.

also, if you ask me, I think the comments in that video, just further prove that the Pussification of America is a real threat.

Yeah, I know how fouls work, I'm just commenting on the perception of the overall situation.

I would have really enjoyed seeing someone from the other team just jack fatty right in the fucking face. Legitimate fouls or not, that shit is bush league. Fatty comes across like a bully, not just a terrible fucking basketball player.

I would have really enjoyed seeing someone from the other team just jack fatty right in the fucking face. Legitimate fouls or not, that shit is bush league. Fatty comes across like a bully, not just a terrible fucking basketball player.

This.

And after each foul he walks away with a cute fucking smirk on his face and a careless attitude, knowing what he did.

Completely agree. Someone should have smacked fatty in his teef the first or second time it happened.

Completely agree. Someone should have smacked fatty in his teef the first or second time it happened.

+1

Fat shit kid is getting away with it every time, so who is gonna stop him? Yeah he's playing like a chump and its bullshit that the refs aren't doing anything about it, so one of those pussies on the other team needs to get in the kid's face.