Cam Choice for ls3 vette..

LivnTheDream23

Hey guys. I was going to do a nitrous setup, but decided to do a cam instead. I figured I would ask CR what cam they think works best for my needs.

Car is a 2010 c6 GS MN6

What I want.

470+rwhp

Great driveablitly. No surging or stalling

I will more than likely port my TB and Intake as well.

Not looking for anything radical. Just something that pulls hard through the powerband and drives well.

Also what parts should I look at changing out. IE. Pushods, rockers ect.

Lastly. I have a brand new nitrous setup in my closet if anyone is interested. (PM me if interested)

Let me know what you think.

Mike

We have pretty much the same car sitting in the shop right now getting everything you are talking about and the goals are roughly the same. We are using a custom grind from designed by Micheal Rauscher from L&M engines. He is not a huge name in the lsx world but he does a lot of our Ford stuff for us and has been involved in some of the nastiest modular stuff out recently. We finished up an 04 Z06 a month or so back that Michael did the cam for as well and he hit our goals for the car square on the head.

You are more than welcome to stop in the shop and we can walk you through what we are using in this car and maybe it will help you determine what direction to go in your car. IPS has obviously had some good success in the LSX field as well and I dont think you would go wrong stopping in and talking with either one of our shops.

Brady

Hey guys. I was going to do a nitrous setup, but decided to do a cam instead. I figured I would ask CR what cam they think works best for my needs.

Car is a 2010 c6 GS MN6

What I want.

470+rwhp

Great driveablitly. No surging or stalling

I will more than likely port my TB and Intake as well.

Not looking for anything radical. Just something that pulls hard through the powerband and drives well.

Also what parts should I look at changing out. IE. Pushods, rockers ect.

Lastly. I have a brand new nitrous setup in my closet if anyone is interested. (PM me if interested)

Let me know what you think.

Mike

Mike,

Your best bet if you can is to shoot me a phone call at the shop and I can go over some options. I will address some points briefly though.

There are several cams out there that can get your goal, but the unique part about a few is their driving characteristics. Most LS3 cam only cars making 470+ whp do not drive all the smooth per say, due to the overlap and aggressive cam lobe profile necessary to generate the power goals. Now there are a few we have worked with that we would recommend. Oddly enough I believe one member above mentioned the LG cam, which is one I may suggest from a shelf grind a vendor offers. That cam drives fairly well so long as you do not try to put the car in sixth gear going 65. There are a few other cams additionally that we may recommend, MTI makes one that works well, we have an options, Livernois has an option, Texas Speed ect. But again not all are created equally when we talk about drive-ability, and unfortunately some manners will just have to be sacrificed to a certain extent.

As for the parts you should change out - You should get a billet timing set if you are able to, valve springs and retainers (dual springs will be a must for this aggressive of a cam) , chrome-moly push rods (length around 7.425"), gaskets and such are also going to be necessary. Your stock rocker arms are fine, the only thing to consider is a triunion upgrade from Comp or Harland Sharp.

Good luck let me know if I can help.

Regards

why do you suggest the billet timing set? Just for the added tunability? or if he decides down the road he wants gobs more power?

everything else you recommended I would say pretty much is a MUST for any more-than-mild camshaft (valvesprings/retainers/pushrods/gaskets) and the comp trunion kit is very nice, and easy to install, when I get around to posting my build, I snapped a few pictures showing how simple of a job it is.

Seems like maybe a 238/246 .625/.625 112 LSA cam is about what you're looking for. (not sure if that is an actual shelf spec'd cam or not).

Also, not sure if the drivability will be great but that also has a lot to do with your tune.

You would really really be pushing it on that setup, the ls3 heads do not like a lot of overlap (thanks in part to the ginormous intake valves), w/o having serious PTV issues. depending on the ramp rate from your lobe choice, I would be wary w/o flycutting.

For example, one of hte other lsx camshaft gurus, SpinMonster, high recommends very low overlap cams on ls3's. He gets lots of success from cams like 230/234 114+2... as well as a few zero overlap cams (230/230 115) ..he even likes the idea of reverse split on the ls3, though I am not one to do that :lol:

You would really really be pushing it on that setup, the ls3 heads do not like a lot of overlap (thanks in part to the ginormous intake valves), w/o having serious PTV issues. depending on the ramp rate from your lobe choice, I would be wary w/o flycutting.

I think he should be okay, I'm not sure exactly on the LS3 heads, but stock LS1/LS6 heads (853,241,243s) can run an MS4 without flycutting (but that is the limit).

I think he should be okay, I'm not sure exactly on the LS3 heads, but stock LS1/LS6 heads (853,241,243s) can run an MS4 without flycutting (but that is the limit).

LS3 rect port large valve dia, is NOT the same as the LS1/2/6 cathedral port, as far as what works, and what they like. This is why if you go to any major cam supplier (texas speed, vengence, Thunder, etc...) most all of them recommend very low overlap cams for the ls3 applications. I can bet shiny nickels an MS4 would have some VERY poor PTV results on an ls3... the G6X3 is pushing it, and about half with that cam even flycut.

We have pretty much the same car sitting in the shop right now getting everything you are talking about and the goals are roughly the same. We are using a custom grind from designed by Micheal Rauscher from L&M engines. He is not a huge name in the lsx world but he does a lot of our Ford stuff for us and has been involved in some of the nastiest modular stuff out recently. We finished up an 04 Z06 a month or so back that Michael did the cam for as well and he hit our goals for the car square on the head.

You are more than welcome to stop in the shop and we can walk you through what we are using in this car and maybe it will help you determine what direction to go in your car. IPS has obviously had some good success in the LSX field as well and I dont think you would go wrong stopping in and talking with either one of our shops.

Brady

was it a yellow 04 z06? if so, I am friends with that guy. He said he did a H/c package correct.

He said you guys did a fantastic job.

Mike,

Your best bet if you can is to shoot me a phone call at the shop and I can go over some options. I will address some points briefly though.

There are several cams out there that can get your goal, but the unique part about a few is their driving characteristics. Most LS3 cam only cars making 470+ whp do not drive all the smooth per say, due to the overlap and aggressive cam lobe profile necessary to generate the power goals. Now there are a few we have worked with that we would recommend. Oddly enough I believe one member above mentioned the LG cam, which is one I may suggest from a shelf grind a vendor offers. That cam drives fairly well so long as you do not try to put the car in sixth gear going 65. There are a few other cams additionally that we may recommend, MTI makes one that works well, we have an options, Livernois has an option, Texas Speed ect. But again not all are created equally when we talk about drive-ability, and unfortunately some manners will just have to be sacrificed to a certain extent.

As for the parts you should change out - You should get a billet timing set if you are able to, valve springs and retainers (dual springs will be a must for this aggressive of a cam) , chrome-moly push rods (length around 7.425"), gaskets and such are also going to be necessary. Your stock rocker arms are fine, the only thing to consider is a triunion upgrade from Comp or Harland Sharp.

Good luck let me know if I can help.

Regards

I will be calling you on wed. morn. If that works.

Might actually stop by.

was it a yellow 04 z06? if so, I am friends with that guy. He said he did a H/c package correct.

He said you guys did a fantastic job.

No, that car is currently in our showroom. We have another 2010 Corvette Gran Sport convertible sitting in the back shop. We should be starting on it once all the parts are in and we finish up a few vehicles in front of it.

why do you suggest the billet timing set? Just for the added tunability? or if he decides down the road he wants gobs more power?

everything else you recommended I would say pretty much is a MUST for any more-than-mild camshaft (valvesprings/retainers/pushrods/gaskets) and the comp trunion kit is very nice, and easy to install, when I get around to posting my build, I snapped a few pictures showing how simple of a job it is.

Tune-ablility if he chooses to actually degree the cam in instead of setting it straight up, which is fine either way, and then the added security of a HD timing chain. Granted the LS3 chains are fine in most applications.