Chase fraudulent activity

dragknee66

"Freemsg" from Chase. My bank card is cancelled in a few days, hopefully my new one will be here by then, and theyve limited my ATM withdraws to $100 a day and $500 max debit.

I look just about everyday and havent seen shit for fraudulent activity. I called and they didnt have a clue as to what the activity COULD be, but they were tipped off by a third party fraud company that it MAY be compromised.

Anyone have this happen? This is a pain in the ass really, not I need to change all of my auto withdraws, FFFFFFFU :fuuuu:

Similar just happened to me with Bank of America... logged on last night to check my CC, and it wasn't even there! Called and the automated answer bot said "Account has been closed." It took a human to tell me that someone hacked a merchant, and BoA cancelled the account as a precaution. The new number's already online and the cards are in the mail, but ya, would have been nice to have warning, as opposed to logging on and thinking they'd summarily dropped me.

I had this happen to me 2x before. Both times it was caught by USBank's fraud department. The charges never hit my account but it was a PITA to switch all my auto payments for bills and such. The first time I got a call in the middle of the night, I was kind of pissed but was also glad they caught on that fast. I guess my check card was swipped at a walmart in Texas for 600+ dollars. But it wasn't my card, someone got the magnetic info from my visa check card and made their own swipeable card.

Interesting posts.. I wish they could have at LEAST told me what the heck happened! Whatev then, maybe I should just be happy about it instead ha. When my anger settles maybe the smiles will set in :lol:

Jer, pretty much this. Granted, changing all your auto-bill pays is a pain, but it beats having to file 50 separate fraud reports.

i am at work and know of the issue ;)

Frankly, this is what's wrong with the system. Who got hacked? Was it a utility? A big box retailer? The pizza shop on the corner? I know you personally can't do shit about it, but as long as consumers are left in the dark like this, the issuing institutions increase customer anger and make the CSR's bear the brunt of it. Knowing who got sliced helps people determine their own potential exposure... If it's McDonald's, well, no big deal. They swipe my card and it's over with, there's no potential for username/password shenanigans. If it's Amazon's one-click checkout, well, it would be very helpful to tell folks that there could be collateral damage, and changing their passwords is a Very Good Idea (because using the same user/pass for multiple websites is something nobody ever does, right??)

My wife has had this happen 3 times in the last 6 months. She litterally just shut down her chase account and went with a different bank over this. We had no idea her card was canceled and was attempting to buy gas, luckily we had some cash on us or else we would've been fucked. The charges were nothing over $10.00 but were to places such as Hostel World.com, Facebook tokens.com ect...she asked if they could find who did it and they said no. I find that sort of funny since they are a fraud department, I am sure those type of things can be tracked.

I find that sort of funny since they are a fraud department, I am sure those type of things can be tracked.

Only to a point... if someone buys gas with a duplicated mag stripe, you might get them on camera and have something to go on. But if it's an online transaction made from a public library, McDonald's WiFi, or via TOR proxies, good luck.

Only to a point... if someone buys gas with a duplicated mag stripe, you might get them on camera and have something to go on. But if it's an online transaction made from a public library, McDonald's WiFi, or via TOR proxies, good luck.

Most public libraries require the user to swipe card in order to get online, or atleast enter in a number. I think if they tried hard enough they could find the people behind it lol.

Most public libraries require the user to swipe card in order to get online, or atleast enter in a number. I think if they tried hard enough they could find the people behind it lol.

Must be new and/or local... last summer I could hop onto any terminal at the NW Library (Hard Rd) without any ID, and I could use the wireless at 4 different Cuyahoga County libraries without fuss, either.

Quite your bitching, the company was looking out for your own well being. When it comes to just shutting down someones card they wont do that without trying to call you first. Whether they call you to say hey we are noticing these coming through are they yours? and you dont answer, well they have to make a decision, take a huge loss or try and save the customer the hassle of filing multiple claims and possible lost money.

If it happens again Ill definitely switch to something else. Still pissed about this ha

Hint - chase isnt the only bank affected by fraud...it happens across the board.

I also work there, and while all my accts are currently with the bank ive been with for almost 20 years, im thinking of switching over to chase...id rather them freeze my acct for fraud suspicion than let that shit go through..

And most banks arent gonna look for people who do fraud for small amounts. They know its gonna happen, and expect X amount to be a loss. It'd cost more for the bank to investigate it, and in the end still probably still not get paid because the fraudster is probably some broke ass which is why hes a thief.

Quite your bitching, the company was looking out for your own well being.

Depends on who you are addressing... current law indemnifies the client in cases of theft/fraud, leaving the issuing bank on the hook for any bad charges. In the case of debit cards, though, getting your money back can be a real bitch (I was just discussing this with future wifey tonight).

When it comes to just shutting down someones card they wont do that without trying to call you first.

Not if you're a Bank of America customer. First sign my card wasn't good anymore was its complete non-existence on my online statement-checking session. I would have been very pissed had I attempted to use it to pay for something (like, say, entertaining prospective clients?) and had it come back denied because it was closed without so much as a phone call.

Whether they call you to say hey we are noticing these coming through are they yours? and you dont answer, well they have to make a decision, take a huge loss or try and save the customer the hassle of filing multiple claims and possible lost money.

Truth... but again, at least as far as BofA was concerned, they didn't bother trying to call, or if they did, they didn't leave a message on the machine.

One piece I'd like to add for consideration is that the world's best fraud prevention systems are ALWAYS a step behind the world's best fraudsters. While I have personal disdain for Chase (USAA is a better bank by the numbers in all aspects anyway), their fraud department, and pretty much every other bank's, truly has no intent on upsetting the customer. Don't hate on them for shutting your card off. Hate on them for shutting your card off and not being able to reopen it when you contact them back.

One piece I'd like to add for consideration is that the world's best fraud prevention systems are ALWAYS a step behind the world's best fraudsters. While I have personal disdain for Chase (USAA is a better bank by the numbers in all aspects anyway), their fraud department, and pretty much every other bank's, truly has no intent on upsetting the customer. Don't hate on them for shutting your card off. Hate on them for shutting your card off and not being able to reopen it when you contact them back.

It is odd to me you don't bank with Chase.