Weak spots in the GTO

blue98ls1

So the time has come, I am selling my Firebird. It will be going to its new home tomorrow or friday. :cry:

Anyways, with that said. The GTO is now the primary car. It will be the daily and will also be taken to the track just like the Firebird was. I don't plan on doing many modifications to it right away as far as making it faster. It will be tuned though and have some minor things done to it this year.

I know these cars have a few weak spots and I want to do preventative maintenance and fix those before I start truly beating on the car. It is an automatic - I don't have the best track record for automatics, I have broken every single one of them I have owned that has been a daily driver to date except for the one in the truck. :no:

I was told there where issues with wheel hop on these cars, and that replacing some bushings/mounts would fix that. What else should be done to "reinforce" the car for someone who has a decent amount of road rage, drives faster than they should, and will hot lap the shit out of the car on the track?

So the time has come, I am selling my Firebird. It will be going to its new home tomorrow or friday. :cry:

Anyways, with that said. The GTO is now the primary car. It will be the daily and will also be taken to the track just like the Firebird was. I don't plan on doing many modifications to it right away as far as making it faster. It will be tuned though and have some minor things done to it this year.

I know these cars have a few weak spots and I want to do preventative maintenance and fix those before I start truly beating on the car. It is an automatic - I don't have the best track record for automatics, I have broken every single one of them I have owned that has been a daily driver to date except for the one in the truck. :no:

I was told there where issues with wheel hop on these cars, and that replacing some bushings/mounts would fix that. What else should be done to "reinforce" the car for someone who has a decent amount of road rage, drives faster than they should, and will hot lap the shit out of the car on the track?

Have you looked into an aftermarket trans cooler? also do they make some sort of girdle for the IRS? I am no guru when it comes to autos or IRS so I'm sure someone can give you better advice lol.

If you are expecting to drive in snow....blizzaks or scorpion ices or the equivalent will be your friend. Mine was pathetic in snow with the stockies even. Also...the steering rack to sub-frame connection is weak and can cause slop over time. If you ever move it for something like a header install....torque the hell out of those bolts. Wheel hop will be your enemy at the track...seek expert advice and get your wallet out. If your battery is still stock...and I doubt it....grab an ultima before it gets too cold. The factory batteries were Australia spec. and stranded a lot of owners in cold climates. At this point I would seriously consider hording GTO-specific and hard to get parts if I was going to DD one. I've heard getting a new windshield is a test of patience. The auto may be a benefit for DD since the shifter is a weak spot on manual cars. I've heard of tranny issues too. My boss had his tranny fail on the jersey parkway. I don't recall the specific problem. Overall...I found my goat to be a nice DD when I had it. Easier to live with than the Z06 I replaced it with in terms of lots of in-town driving. Waaay more clearance friendly.

Tina, when I bought my 04 gto this summer I researched a ton on the cars and tried to find the most pros/cons about them. I was really nervous since the gto I bought was relatively modded (cam,boltons,etc.). A stock gto seems to last pretty well. Its only when you start playing the modding game that things start getting sketchy. The main concern I found on these cars are rear end/ differential/axles. The diferentials in these cars aren't very stout at all esp when you start putting some power down. This also applies to the axles. I have the 6spd version w/ the ls1 vs. your ls2 with auto but this still applies. One site I found to be a great help is http://www.ls1gto.com this site also is dedicated to LS2 gto's as well. after all the rearend/ dif/axle talk mostly everything else on the car is similar to fbody's in terms of engine/tranny concerns, etc...

EDIT: forgot to talk about wheelhop. I myself haven't had any issues with wheelhop. BUT the car has the Peddlers rear suspension kit installed on it so that may be the reason. Either way its a hit or miss. I hear ppl talk about wheel hop all day then you got ppl like me or Kirkso5o talk about never having wheelhop when he owned his GTO.

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

The only real issue I've encountered was the rear end because mine is an 04 and since I went to an 05/06 rear everything has been good.

As far as wheel hop, I get a whole bunch of it at the track, but it's really no issue for me at all on the street, the tires just light up with no hop if traction control is off.

If you are going to be in it a bunch do a search to learn how to adjust the stock amp for the stereo system and it will sound 100x better than before.

I'd say the main thing is the gas mileage if that even matters to you, that along with it being difficult to keep women's mouth's off of my penis after they see me driving it, hahaha. But in all seriousness, it's a great car that you are lucky to get to drive every day. :D

Have you looked into an aftermarket trans cooler? also do they make some sort of girdle for the IRS? I am no guru when it comes to autos or IRS so I'm sure someone can give you better advice lol.

Tranny cooler. If you haven't already. I feel like given your xp with auto's, we don't even need to tell you this. This is an absolute given for any auto, right off the bat.

The only real issue I've encountered was the rear end because mine is an 04 and since I went to an 05/06 rear everything has been good.

As far as wheel hop, I get a whole bunch of it at the track, but it's really no issue for me at all on the street, the tires just light up with no hop if traction control is off.

If you are going to be in it a bunch do a search to learn how to adjust the stock amp for the stereo system and it will sound 100x better than before.

I'd say the main thing is the gas mileage if that even matters to you, that along with it being difficult to keep women's mouths off of my penis after they see me driving it, hahaha. But in all seriousness, it's a great car that you are lucky to get to drive every day. :D

lol You're a dumbass. Littleguy/Norm here has had his share of rear-end/diff issues, as well, though his is a manual and I don't know how many parts are shared.

Still, I can tell you from experience, it's not so big you can't enjoy it on a windy road to help make up for lost fun due to wheel hop at the track. ;)

My father has an 04 GTO and had an issue with the rear end leaking. It was coming from the center inspection plate cover where it bolts to the frame/uni-body. With that said I know an aftermarket part is out there that remounts it in some fashion so it is less prone to leak/break. I sure with some digging I could find the part. This happened after it was drag raced a couple of times. Not saying this happens to all GTO’s but it did happen to my dad’s.

I'm kind of new to this forum. I am constantly on ls1gto.com. There is a lot of useful info there about preventing wheel hop. I have an m6 so mine is guaranteed a lot more severe as yours. A4's don't suffer from it quite as bad. There are several fixes. Bushings, and g force anti-wheel hop half shafts are the best route imo. http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/product.sc?productId=178&categoryId=5

Lots of good info in here. Thanks everyone!

I have a transmission cooler, completely forgot about it though, I need to get that installed asap.

The battery was "weak" on the car when we bought it, so the dealer replaced it under warranty. Hopefully with one that doesn't have issues.

I think i'll focus on upgrading the bushings and mounts. Getting the car tuned. And adding a few minor things that it lacks as a starting point and then take it out to the track this spring and see what else it may need.

One thing that everyone is kind of forgetting is the strut rub with the inner front wheel to the strut tower. Keep an eye on your inner front tires. One way to clear up any and all suspension issues is to go with Pedder's, you can contact Rich at Back Street Performance up in Medina Ohio. He's the cheapest and the supplier for Pedders. For the wheel hoop, good luck. You can sink alot of money into your suspension, Anti-wheel half shaft axles from G-Force and you will probably still get wheel hoop. The cheapest fix for wheel hoop would be drag bags. The other way to try (and I mean try), go with a soft compound tire which will help with the wheel hoop. Like I stated, you can throw alot of money at this wheel hoop issue and more than likely you will still have it. Feel free to PM me any additional concerns you may have, they reason I say to PM me is that I may not check this thread out again. Congrats on the Goat and have some fun.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that these Goats love to eat batteries. If for some reason you have your car sitting for a while, put a battery tender on it. Man I could go on and on, but I'm sure every car manufacturer is somewhat like this.

Has anybody here tried the anti-wheel hop axle's?

I'll be ordering myself a set of level twos soon. I can't personally tell you they work, but I've heard literally nothing but good things about them. Have not once, and I mean once, heard someone say they didn't work.

Man, Nitto drag radials made my wheel hoop worse. Yes I have the Anti-wheel hoop half shafts on my Goat and I still get wheel hoop, you would have seen this in my signature but the moderator removed it. The guy from G-Force claims I need to get a softer tire compound.

One thing that everyone is kind of forgetting is the strut rub with the inner front wheel to the strut tower. Keep an eye on your inner front tires. One way to clear up any and all suspension issues is to go with Pedder's, you can contact Rich at Back Street Performance up in Medina Ohio. He's the cheapest and the supplier for Pedders. For the wheel hoop, good luck. You can sink alot of money into your suspension, Anti-wheel half shaft axles from G-Force and you will probably still get wheel hoop. The cheapest fix for wheel hoop would be drag bags. The other way to try (and I mean try), go with a soft compound tire which will help with the wheel hoop. Like I stated, you can throw alot of money at this wheel hoop issue and more than likely you will still have it. Feel free to PM me any additional concerns you may have, they reason I say to PM me is that I may not check this thread out again. Congrats on the Goat and have some fun.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that these Goats love to eat batteries. If for some reason you have your car sitting for a while, put a battery tender on it. Man I could go on and on, but I'm sure every car manufacturer is somewhat like this.

The strut mounts are broken on both sides of my GTO. It makes cracking noises when turning sharp. I had Cordell do a full inspection on the car where he works at right after we first bought it. Most issues where taken care of grudgingly by the dealership we bought the car at, except those mounts as I wanted to do after market. (Biggest issue with the car when we bought it was the steering shaft was broken, from what I understand it was a costly repair, and they had to take the car apart twice as they half assed putting it back together the first time and I took it back.)

The car is awesome, love it enough that I sold my Firebird. But the wheel hop issue seems like it is going to be a nightmare to deal with. I guess once we get all of the stuff done to it that we have planned this spring, i'll see how bad it is at the track before tossing a bunch of other stuff at it. :no: I'll probably be PMing you after the first track rental. ;)