Raising the Speed Limit to 70 on I71

mrs.cos

God its about fucking time... nothing worse than driving from florida all the way home at 80, to have to drop down to 70 because the freaking cops on I71 are retardedly excited about giving out speeding tickets.. makes that drive from cincy to cbus agonizing..

CINCINNATI (AP) -- A state lawmaker wants to raise the speed limit on Ohio's interstate highways from 65 mph to 70 mph to be consistent with the Ohio Turnpike and the speed limit in neighboring states.

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that a similar 2009 effort by other lawmakers failed. Still, Republican state Rep. Ron Maag recently introduced a bill in the House that would make 70 mph the limit on all Ohio interstates.

He says neighboring Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia also use the 70 mph limit adopted for the Ohio Turnpike last April.

A State Highway Patrol spokeswoman says that agency has safety concerns about raising the speed limit.

But Maag says the interstates are designed to handle higher speeds and vehicle safety has improved.

if you don't survive a crash at 70, slowing to 65 isn't going to help either.

+1

No doubt.

I read the article and it said The Ohio Highway Patrol has great saftey concerns. So it must just be Ohioans who are in Danger and not all our surrounding states who have been 70 for a while now.

+1

No doubt.

I read the article and it said The Ohio Highway Patrol has great saftey concerns. So it must just be Ohioans who are in Danger and not all our surrounding states who have been 70 for a while now.

The Ohio Highway Patrol is only concerned with loss of revenue. I guess we are all risking our lives by driving 70 in the surrounding states.

These quotes were on the news tonight. I love the guy trying to discredit the lower # of crashes on the turnpike because it's straight. Uh, wv is 70 mph and full of curves

"2011 was the safest year on the Ohio Turnpike in history since 1955. So to say increasing the speed limit would be increasing accidents, I just don’t think that’s accurate," Magg said.

"When he sites the turnpike statistics that's a very limited situation. A straight road for 243 miles. No kinks, curves, I mean it goes straight," said Larry Davis, President of the Ohio Trucking Association.

Amen to this!!

If the highway patrol worry about loss of revenue, there still plenty crazies out there that'll do 95+ to offset the loss.

Or, instead of giving BS speeding tickets they could cite people for ACTUALLY doing dumb shit like I don't know... Blocking the passing lane(s)? Or maybe tailgating? Or driving at night without their fucking lights on? Or maybe they could just fuck off.

The speed limit could be 140mph, and I could still only go as fast as the fucktard ahead of me.