Finance Guys - Is it "worth it"?

KillJoy

Say you have a home w/ a Mortgage in the $100k to $105K Range on a 30 Year fixed at 5.5%. We have 20 years left.

You are wanting to sell the home, but will not be able to "get out w/o bringing $ to the table" for a year.

Is it worth it to refinance at "today's" lower rates to lower the payment so that "extra" money can be added to Principle payments?

KillJoy

Edited by KillJoy

run that through the bankrate mortgage calculator. probably save 1.5% on refi. so on a 100k house, thats roughly $1500. if you can get someone to refi it for less than that, then id go for it. likely the difference will be small, you might save a few hundred?

idk what refi costs, so it could be up in the air.

you might save a few hundred?

idk what refi costs, so it could be up in the air.

I just looked into a refi and there was a 1% (of loan) rural fee. Made it not worth it for me to save a couple hundred bucks a month.

Say you have a home w/ a Mortgage in the $100k to $105K Range on a 30 Year fixed at 5.5%. We have 20 years left.

You are wanting to sell the home, but will not be able to "get out w/o bringing $ to the table" for a year.

Is it worth it to refinance at "today's" lower rates to lower the payment so that "extra" money can be added to Principle payments?

KillJoy

Probably not

The bolded words can only make me assume you owe what it is worth and don't have equity (maybe even under water)

With a high LTV you will need PMI which has gotten more expensive from what I have seen.

Also you will have a hard time finding a lender on a high LTV loan that won't charge things such as:

appraisal 250-500

title 700-1500

and more.

If you are talking the course of one year going from 5.5 to even 4.0 (on 125k)would only save $1400 in interest

Now a 5/1 arm at under 80 loan to value would net a 3ish rate.... but sounds like you would need to bring a huge chunch of money to the table