C5 Z06

Sparky

Sorry I did not break out all my mags to quote all the differences. They are both 5.7l motors. The ls6 is just an upgraded ls1 period the end. Did they do a few different things to the motor and add a few changes to the body and suspension yes. But really its the same car sitting lower with different heads, cam, and intake manifold, titanium exhaust manifolds which everyone will change anyways, and slightly different cylinder heads, netting a 50hp difference that again will not matter if you go to a heads cam car.

I believe you meant to say titanium cat back. The manifolds are cast iron like all the rest. The titanium cat back is a good set up. Light weight , good flow. I still have mine with a set of Kooks headers. Plenty loud. Lot of guys change it out for a different sound I guess. As far as a Z06 sitting lower, not true. I had to lower mine,it was a 4x4 when I first got it.

I believe you meant to say titanium cat back. The manifolds are cast iron like all the rest. The titanium cat back is a good set up. Light weight , good flow. I still have mine with a set of Kooks headers. Plenty loud. Lot of guys change it out for a different sound I guess. As far as a Z06 sitting lower, not true. I had to lower mine,it was a 4x4 when I first got it.

and I believe you meant to say titanimum axle-back, because the "mid-pipe" is just steel.

and the problem with the c5z ti, is that it is still 2.5", anyone running more displacement really wants 3", but yea, most people change them out for sound.... only 3 companies really offer 3" full exhaust. (LGM, XSP, SW)

and I believe you meant to say titanimum axle-back, because the "mid-pipe" is just steel.

and the problem with the c5z ti, is that it is still 2.5", anyone running more displacement really wants 3", but yea, most people change them out for sound.... only 3 companies really offer 3" full exhaust. (LGM, XSP, SW)

and I believe you meant to say titanium axle-back and not titanimum, just having fun here. 2.5" is plenty big for the displacement of these engines. These are not big cube engines. Maybe this is just my opinion but a 346 ci engine is small and a 3' exhaust would be over kill to me.

Sorry I did not break out all my mags to quote all the differences. They are both 5.7l motors. The ls6 is just an upgraded ls1 period the end. Did they do a few different things to the motor and add a few changes to the body and suspension yes. But really its the same car sitting lower with different heads, cam, and intake manifold, titanium exhaust manifolds which everyone will change anyways, and slightly different cylinder heads, netting a 50hp difference that again will not matter if you go to a heads cam car.

Technically its a 5.67L ;-)

If you want to look at it that way then the ls1 is just an upgraded generation 1 sbc period the end. A Saleen SR351 is just a mustang, and ZR1 is just an old teardrop 57 vette with some carbon fiber. The z06 never has been and hopefully never will be a stickers and show marketing gimmick like the SLP f-bodies from the 90s (with exception to the 92 firehawk).

Another good read for anyone considering one of these cars- this one details all of the differences:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z06-discussion/1187875-c5-z06-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

Am I biased? Yes- very...

So how big of an issue is the '01 ring issue? Is this a common 01 issue or is it exaggerated? The 20hp is not so much of a bother.

Don't let the oil consumption issue scare you away from the right 01 at a good price. The guys who have the problem report it being about a quart between oil changes.

If we didnt have snow/ice/salt my Z would be a driver. They dont melt in the rain and active handling + traction control help a lot on slippery roads.

Ground clearance is another issue with chunks of ice and snow in the middle of the lanes, even at stock ride height the front air dam is only a few inches from the road.

There are also some issues with 02's dropping valves from broken springs, mine did it to the previous owner when it was under warranty.

Get the VIN of any vette youre thinking about, take that number to a dealer and ask them to run the service and warranty history. Its free and it will tell you all sorts of stuff like where it was purchased new and all the work done on the car at GM dealers. If you see a report that has tons of electrical issues run away as fast as you can.

So I see there are a few C5 Z06's and Base C6's in an overlapping price range. Same power wise. The C6 looks better in and out but isnt as track ready. Thoughts?

Well in my opinion its a pretty mixed bag, the C5 has the better engine if left alone, with the C6 base having better asthetics. It's really personal taste, I don't like the extra electronics they put in the C6, but for modding the drivetrain you'll get great results. The C5Z is great if you aren't going to do a lot, but I don't care as much for the look of the car to the C6. Really as similar as these cars are most of it is personal preference, and what you want to do.

I hate the multitudes of electronic in C6; it's bad enough in a C5 but it's even worse in C6. I'd pick the C5 Z06, it is also lighter than a base C6 (my '3 Z06 weighed 3,080 lbs). There are always electronic quirks haunting these cars and I'd rather deal with those of a C5.

The C5ZO6 is more like a real race car, more connected and more feedback than the C6. C6 will be less harsh and a marginally more attractive.

this.

One of the reasons one of the fastest vette owners (road racing) owns 2 c5z's and zero c6s....

A z51 c6 vs c5 zo6 road race comes down to the driver with a very slight edge to the c5z in regards to weight power and feedback

Interesting. The interior of the C6 looks to be light years better than the C5. Planning on keeping the car for a long time so these things matter.

Interesting. The interior of the C6 looks to be light years better than the C5. Planning on keeping the car for a long time so these things matter.

This is one of the reasons I hadnt looked at corvettes till the C6. I really didnt like the old school american interior. Felt and looked very outdated.

If you get a good deal on one (19k and under) i would go with the c5z. I learned a lot with the two c5z i had but i think now in todays economy you can get a better deal on a c6 for your dollar spent.