Digital RPM Gauge, working design complete!

12oclocker

Finally got the design done, took all weekend, and was a hundred times harder than I thought it was going to be, but was bored while waiting for my speedohealer project parts, and its been raining all weekend...

The final unit will look very nice, and be very tiny on a PCB board, this picture is of my prototyping board.

It uses a single ATMEL microcontroller chip which does everything! drives the display, measures the frequency coming from the coil on the bike, and does the calculations to convert to RPM and format the display data!

So far its probably the most complicated microcontroller project I've done.

The processor will sample the frequency coming from the bike in 1sec intervals, and while sampling, it displays the data it collected from the previous second.

This unit will measure from 0 to 65500 RPM's! (shows 0.0 to 65.5 on the screen)

Displaying 2500 rpm (2.5k RPM)

2500rpm.jpg

Displaying 12,000 RPM (12.0k RPM)

12000rpm.jpg

screen shot of the ATMEL AVR Development environment...

asm.jpg

thats sweet! man i would have never thought to do a crazy ass wiring circuit board like that, i can do simple things lol but i would have no idea how to hook that up. I wish i had the knowledge to do stuff like that when im bored.. i just fiddle around with shit on the computer.. lol i need to start workin on stuff when i get bored

thats sweet! man i would have never thought to do a crazy ass wiring circuit board like that, i can do simple things lol but i would have no idea how to hook that up. I wish i had the knowledge to do stuff like that when im bored.. i just fiddle around with shit on the computer.. lol i need to start workin on stuff when i get bored

I just let the smart guys invent this stuff, then pay them for their time :)

Finally got the design done, took all weekend, and was a hundred times harder than I thought it was going to be, but was bored while waiting for my speedohealer project parts, and its been raining all weekend...

The final unit will look very nice, and be very tiny on a PCB board, this picture is of my prototyping board.

It uses a single ATMEL microcontroller chip which does everything! drives the display, measures the frequency coming from the coil on the bike, and does the calculations to convert to RPM and format the display data!

So far its probably the most complicated microcontroller project I've done.

The processor will sample the frequency coming from the bike in 1sec intervals, and while sampling, it displays the data it collected from the previous second.

This unit will measure from 0 to 65500 RPM's! (shows 0.0 to 65.5 on the screen)

Displaying 2500 rpm (2.5k RPM)

2500rpm.jpg

Displaying 12,000 RPM (12.0k RPM)

12000rpm.jpg

screen shot of the ATMEL AVR Development environment...

asm.jpg

circuit pron almost as good as server pron

server-wires.jpg

seriously kudos are you etching the pcb or having it made

I make all my pcb's they actually come out looking like they came from a board house.

that sounds good dustin, I'll let you know as soon as I have a few built...

well many years ago I used to do this stuff as a job jesse, but then I started working in telecommunications field, and now I just do this stuff for fun.

What signal are you using to calculate the RPM, Crank pulse, cam pulse, or ignition pulse?

I just looked at some of your code you put in the picture and I see you are using the ignition pulse. It seems like you are counting the number of pulses, would it be easier to measure the lenth of the the pulse and calculate the rpm?

Edited by shittygsxr

What signal are you using to calculate the RPM, Crank pulse, cam pulse, or ignition pulse?

I just looked at some of your code you put in the picture and I see you are using the ignition pulse. It seems like you are counting the number of pulses, would it be easier to measure the lenth of the the pulse and calculate the rpm?

same way the other companies like trail tech do it, from the 12v lead before the coil which feeds the spark plug.

http://www.pcbexpress.com

if you want to have some boards fabricated that look nice, ive designed a board with their free software. you use their software and design the board, then send in the design and they rpint it for you. i had a 3x2 dual layer board done for like $120 for 4 boards, unpopulated. might be a tad expensive, but its professional if you want to sell them, and easier to case.

http://www.pcbexpress.com

if you want to have some boards fabricated that look nice, ive designed a board with their free software. you use their software and design the board, then send in the design and they rpint it for you. i had a 3x2 dual layer board done for like $120 for 4 boards, unpopulated. might be a tad expensive, but its professional if you want to sell them, and easier to case.

thanks for the tip, I think my homemade board look pretty professinal now, after 12 years of making them I finally got it down to a science, I can even make traces as small as a human hair, lol, here's one I did back in 2006, it does not show hair traces, I dont have any pics of my hair trace design, I used that one on a midi controller back in 04 I think, I'll see if I can dig any of the boards up...

flipper-controller-board.jpg

What would one cost for the 400ex? Could you do rpm and speed in one? How much for that?

I'll know the cost soon, I got to figure out what enclosure to buy

I'll work on one that does speed pretty soon probably, I was tossing that idea around as well ;)