power steering problem

gt-titan

i just picked up a 2000 dodge caravan and the power steering has a problem..a little noise and the wheel is hard to turn until you bring up the rpm and then it gets easy. it has a leak that was there when i got the van. it is full of fluid...if anyone can help....thanks.. oh and it has the 3.3 motor if it matters...

Sounds like there might be some air in the system. Put front end on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground and turn wheels from lock to lock back and fourth a few times. Look to see if there are bubbles in the reservoir, if so, there is air present in the system. Continue turning wheels lock to lock back and fourth until there are no bubbles.

This is after you fix the leak because it could be drawing air into the system from the leak point.

Sounds like there might be some air in the system. Put front end on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground and turn wheels from lock to lock back and fourth a few times. Look to see if there are bubbles in the reservoir, if so, there is air present in the system. Continue turning wheels lock to lock back and fourth until there are no bubbles.

This is after you fix the leak because it could be drawing air into the system from the leak point.

there is air in the system and it is the return line leaking.so i will be replacing the the line today and will follow your directions ....thanks.. for the help..

There are about a bajillion TSB's to resolve this problem. Three of the main fixes are to use MOPAR ATF+4 for the fluid, the second is they re-designed the resovoir where you put the fluid in, the third is they added an extra loop down near the cooler on the sub frame. AND if you don't have a cooler that is another TSB to add one.

Yeah, Chrysler pretty much re-designed the system on the fly AFTER it was released. Air is a possibility, but don't stress over that when half the system was re-designed due to this issue.

Although your other issue states that you have difficulty turning the wheel unless the rpm's are up. I would have to re-read some of the TSB's to see if there is some direction there in them. In short the P/S on those is a pain in the butt unless you are looking at it and can tell what has/has not been changed.

so after i drain the system and fix the line i should refill it with tranny fluid not power steering fliud??? ok will do...thanks...and i dont think the pump is bad now because after i refilled the system and let it sit over night it worked fine until the fuild got low and i had bubbles in the fluid...thanks for the help.

so after i drain the system and fix the line i should refill it with tranny fluid not power steering fliud??? ok will do...thanks...and i dont think the pump is bad now because after i refilled the system and let it sit over night it worked fine until the fuild got low and i had bubbles in the fluid...thanks for the help.

You do realize a plenty of cars use ATF for power steering fluid right?

And I apologize for looking at the wrong part # in the TSB I was looking at for your piece.

You do realize a plenty of cars use ATF for power steering fluid right?

And I apologize for looking at the wrong part # in the TSB I was looking at for your piece.

no man i didnt....lol... but i do know that my dump truck i drive at work takes motor oil in the power steering..i never seen that before....lol

thanks again for your help

ok i got this thing back together.new line new fluid tryed to bleed it.it was fine for most of my drive home.then right before i got home it started to get harder to turn on turns and has to give it gas to make it turn easier.. not sure why... maybe air in the system....anyone know why???