Optimum Opti-coat Paint Coating technology now offered

AudiOn19s

Opti-coat application will be in my services offering for 2012.

Coatings have finally evolved from dealership snake oil sales tactics into a real and proven segment of the detailing world. When propery applied opti-coat acts as a thin layer of clear coat on the car, however one with characteristics of a wax instead of the characteristics of paint. These coatings can be mechanically abraded to be removed (polishing the paint will remove them) but otherwise offer levels of protection and longevity not seen before.

Here is a great read done by one of the most respected guys in the detailing business. I think stating that most pros thought this was the next great snake oil product when it was first released was an understatement, it's been proven to be legit and ground breaking in the industry.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/126661-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html

Application costs for Opti-coat will be $150-200 for stand alone application service or $100-150 when added to one of my standard detailing packages.

Andy

Fixed the link, There's tons of info there, too much really but it will get you started, I'm more than happy to field further questions.

As an additional note this product has been on my Audi since Late July. That car lives outside 24/7 and still beads water like the day I applied it. It's MUCH easier to wash and clean up thanks to the dirt shedding properties of the opti-coat and wheel cleaning is also now a breeze requiring only soap and water and no harsh cleaners.

To be fair in my own assessment this has also been on my best friend's Mercedes which not only lives outside 24/7 but since he refuses to wash his car by hand it offers another unique perspective on the protection abilities. The coating has been scratched from automtic car washes but continues to bead strong and protect the paint despite it's abuse under his watch.

It's also on my wife's daily and my brother's wife's daily. My wife's daily actually gets treated pretty well and hand washed, my brother keeps his out of "tunnel" washes with brushes but still uses the touchless wash and it's holding up with no issues.

Downside to this product you might ask??? Not the nicest looking protectant I've ever seen. Very shiny but lacks depth. Also if you like the feel of a freshly waxed car this is not for you. It feels like bare paint all the time, none of your friends will be impressed if they walk up and run a finger across your paint..then again you should be chopping their fingers off if they do that anyhow :D

Andy

I had Andy help me do this to my wife's TL as he mentioned. The car is never garaged and a daily for her. I've been very happy with the way that the coating has held up and makes cleaning the car easier. I was worried about salt eating the coating up, but it hasn't seemed to slow it down at all.

I do run her car through touch-less car washes during the winter as I don't have the facility to be able to hand wash her car when it's this cold and nasty. Last winter, when we'd run it through the wash it would not completely remove the salt and muck from the car, but clean most of it off. This year with the coating on it is definitely cleaning the car much better when going through the washes. I'll try to get some before-after photos.