Home build vs purchase

99ta

My wife and I want a bigger home. We just listed our current home with a realtor and are debating on building or searching for a home. Has anyone built a home recently that could provide some input (ie cost of building vs value). And I will not build in a subdivision. I would purchase my own land and contract out as I have many contact for concrete, electritian, ect.

Eric,

If you know what your doing, you can save some big money. On the other hand, not knowing what you are doing can make you lose big, too. I've seen some good deals on land lately, too. I'm sure there is some good deals on houses as well. Lastly, be sure you know what your doing. I saw a friend get burned pretty good on being a little over confident.

Eric,

If you know what your doing, you can save some big money. On the other hand, not knowing what you are doing can make you lose big, too. I've seen some good deals on land lately, too. I'm sure there is some good deals on houses as well. Lastly, be sure you know what your doing. I saw a friend get burned pretty good on being a little over confident.

yeah, thats why I hesitant. to many unknowns. I personally am not real handy ie I can't build my own house. However, my father in law has built many houses, my dad is very handy, my brother in law has own conrete comp, my best friend is an electritian, ect. so I have many resourse to save some money on the build.... But I would want a custom builder to build the house, but I think I could do them interior stuff. drywall, insulation, flooring, ect myself...

I'd buy existing. WAY too many homes on the market with upgrades and additions and it's a buyers market. You might be able to save on a new build but the value you'll get in an existing will be greater. An easy example is to consider a fence and decent patio area which will easily run you 5-8k and most homes you'll look at will already have them. I'm not sure of your financial situation but I'd look into those in trouble too. Wife and I have flipped more than a couple she's found at auction/bank sales. Point being you can easily find a home that would normally list at $350 for $200-250-275.

I'd buy existing. WAY too many homes on the market with upgrades and additions and it's a buyers market. You might be able to save on a new build but the value you'll get in an existing will be greater. An easy example is to consider a fence and decent patio area which will easily run you 5-8k and most homes you'll look at will already have them. I'm not sure of your financial situation but I'd look into those in trouble too. Wife and I have flipped more than a couple she's found at auction/bank sales. Point being you can easily find a home that would normally list at $350 for $200-250-275.

I am with you...the inventory of homes is too good to pass up right now. I wouldn't totally rule out building but look around first.

-Erik

After months of looking at b.s. bank owned, short sale, this and that, offers rejections, assholes I'm building. With the deal im getting, its in a neighborhood that would normally start out 20-30k out of my comfort level I can get brandy new, snobby neighbours, with plenty of space till the kids are all run off to college.

After months of looking at b.s. bank owned, short sale, this and that, offers rejections, assholes I'm building. With the deal im getting, its in a neighborhood that would normally start out 20-30k out of my comfort level I can get brandy new, snobby neighbours, with plenty of space till the kids are all run off to college.

youll be in with the snobby neighbors until you start running that methed out powder coat booth and major payne is dumping gear oil all over your minty streets.

:gabe:

youll be in with the snobby neighbors until you start running that methed out powder coat booth and major payne is dumping gear oil all over your minty streets.

:gabe:

LOL That won't happen bruh. Monika put that shit on lockdown. It's far enough out he wont ever visit because itll cost too much in gas to come out. As for the Meth lab it is going into its own little shop elsewhere once I'm settled in. Waay to messy to have at home really. And I need a break.

I planned on building, but decided to wait one more year trying to find something used.

Ended up picking up a 5 year old house almost identical to what I wanted to build for about half of what I would have had into building it. Find a real estate agent familiar with working short sales.

Full disclosure: be prepared for it to be a long drug out process,... But way worth it.

I just moved into it last week, and it's probably the best deal I've ever got on anything I've bought. (and that says a lot)

Be patient, always be looking, and be prepared to pull the trigger the instant you find that deal. Because if you aren't, someone else will be.

yeah we can def be patient. im not sure about the sherrif sales as we cant see the inside of the houses (my wife has specific requirements ie walk in closets and garden tubs, ect). I suppose if we came across a good enough deal we could always add what we want with the equity...