home defense weapon opinion

V8 Beast

What do you guys think of using a p90 as a home defense weapon? I was going to get a 5.7 but found a used p90 in great shape for around the same price. I have read reviews and hear its great in close quarters.. but as always I run things by CR first.

This will be in addition to a sig 9mm, ar15, and a .50 desert eagle.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think of using a p90 as a home defense weapon? I was going to get a 5.7 but found a used p90 in great shape for around the same price. I have read reviews and hear its great in close quarters.. but as always I run things by CR first.

Who says it's great in close quarters? How much experience do they have killing people with that weapon? I like the 5.7 and p90 as toys, but there are better options available for home defense (AR for example) from what I've read. Also, the ammo is pretty expensive.

Read a little here if you like: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

and here too: http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/716105676/m/94120578763

That being said. I really wouldn't want to be shot by one (or anything). Nearly all police departments have gone away from subguns to 5.56 ARs and for good reason.

Agree with RymerC. It doesn't seem to fill a role that the AR15 you already have doesn't.

Additionally, though I have the SKS-M around, I don't consider it a proper home defense gun compared to a good pistol or shotgun. At least not one of my first choices. A good handgun is good close up and fine for any home defense range shots you would be taking. Both offer adequate power without much fear of over-penetration (though maybe the 5.7s would disintegrate in wall material?).

Who says it's great in close quarters? How much experience do they have killing people with that weapon? I like the 5.7 and p90 as toys, but there are better options available for home defense (AR for example) from what I've read. Also, the ammo is pretty expensive.

Read a little here if you like: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19913

and here too: http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/716105676/m/94120578763

That being said. I really wouldn't want to be shot by one (or anything). Nearly all police departments have gone away from subguns to 5.56 ARs and for good reason.

There have been more recent tests that show it outperformed the 9mm, less recoil allowed for better and faster grouping. I'll have to double check and see if that was the government armor piercing rounds or the over the counter 5.7. I've read so many pros and cons. Its funny how biased most sources are.. its definitely a love it or hate it situation with the round. I'm not thinking primary gun, but I still want it to work. For $1100 its making me consider it.

Also.. why is the 5.7 pistol so popular if so many people think its basically a .22?

Also.. why is the 5.7 pistol so popular if so many people think its basically a. 22?

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

Do some reading on there. The "effectiveness" of the 5.7x28 has long been argued again and again. A .223 5.7x28 & .22 rimfire are all ".22's" technically speaking. ;)

I've put plenty of rounds through my FiveSeven and love it. Dad carries his nearly every day as well.

Lots of charts and ballistics information & tests are being done on that forum.

I'm not going to try and sell you on the gun, as that is up to you to decide.

I've seen what happens when various rounds from the ss197 all the way through to some of the hottest (S4 Ultraptors) are shot into various test objects, (pork shoulders, 1/4" steel armor plates etc.) and would hate to be on the receiving end of that mess.

But, at the end of the day, you have to be comfortable and have trust in your weapon. I do, you may not.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

Do some reading on there. The "effectiveness" of the 5.7x28 has long been argued again and again. A .223 5.7x287 & .22 rimfire are all ".22's" technically speaking. ;)

I've put plenty of rounds through my FiveSeven and love it. Dad carries his nearly every day as well.

Lots of charts and ballistics information & tests are being done on that forum.

I'm not going to try and sell you on the gun, as that is up to you to decide.

I've seen what happens when various rounds from the ss197 all the way through to some of the hottest (S4 Ultraptors) are shot into various test objects, (pork shoulders, 1/4" steel armor plates etc.) and would hate to be on the receiving end of that mess.

But, at the end of the day, you have to be comfortable and have trust in your weapon. I do, you may not.

I'm here for the info on both sides. The guys at the gun store were arguing about it too lol.

So... question.. if you could get a ps90 or a 5.7 for the same price which one do you get?

The glock gets grabbed first. Forgot to list that one. Sig second, ar15 third.... DE when I want to look good on the news afterwards. This will probably be a fun gun but want to double check its limits.

I'm here for the info on both sides. The guys at the gun store were arguing about it too lol.

So... question.. if you could get a ps90 or a 5.7 for the same price which one do you get?

I have both, but It depends on what you want it for I guess.

Does the P90 have the factory optic or the flat rail ?

For something to take to the range and have fun with as a toy, the PS90.

For something to have around the house, possibly carry, or just keep handy, the FiveSeven for sure..

I have both, but It depends on what you want it for I guess.

Does the P90 have the factory optic or the flat rail ?

For something to take to the range and have fun with as a toy, the PS90.

For something to have around the house, possibly carry, or just keep handy, the FiveSeven for sure..

Flat rail... we be 5.7 buddies?

There have been more recent tests that show it outperformed the 9mm, less recoil allowed for better and faster grouping. I'll have to double check and see if that was the government armor piercing rounds or the over the counter 5.7. I've read so many pros and cons. Its funny how biased most sources are.. its definitely a love it or hate it situation with the round. I'm not thinking primary gun, but I still want it to work. For $1100 its making me consider it.

Also.. why is the 5.7 pistol so popular if so many people think its basically a .22?

Jones is right, there's quite a bit of controversy about the testing of this caliber. Generally disregard any testing done by the company trying to sell you ammo, as well as fanboiz who have no experience. When a bunch of people have shot bad guys with it and dumped it for an AR (which they then found acceptable) it sends a pretty good message. The 5.7 can and will kill people dead, so can a .22LR, .380, and many other calibers. A pistol caliber is a compromise in the extreme, and should never ever be used when a rifle caliber can be. You're kinda sorta taking a 5.56 nato and cutting it in half.

If you are just dead set on the 5.7 (and it's a cool little round), I'd go with whichever is cheaper (pistol vs. carbine) and spend the rest on training and practice.

^^ This

It's on my "if I found the right deal" list. Weapons are more of a tool the way I see them. It's good to have options and sometimes one hammer will work better than another, given the situation. How many times are you going to have to hit it? How hard are you looking to hit it? What's around that you might hit with it?

Ammo is pricey. I found hollow points in Vermont for $21.99 for 50 rds. That's the best counter price I have seen. Even buying in bulk, there aren't great deals out there. You basically have to be ok with $.50 every time you pull the trigger.

I'd still grab it up.