So lets hear from you long distance riders...

FocusDave01

It really depends on the sportbike. I spent my first season learnin on my GS500F. The longest I ever rode it at once was 1.5 hours, and I was hurting pretty bad. Consequently I only put less than 1500 miles on it that season. After selling it, I was able to drive out to Toledo, buy my FZ6, and ride it back in 40 degree weather for over 160 miles and about 2 hours. Since then I've taken 3 hour rides (backroads) and not had any problem with my back, just a sore butt from the stock seat.

Cruisers really aren't all that much more comfortable for distance that sportbikes. The position locks you into place so you can't move around and puts all the weight on the butt so all the road bumps go right into the butt and lower spine.

I'll take a sport on a long distance ride over a cruiser any day as long as I can set it up right, risers, different seat and maybe lowered pegs.

All true, my poor ass and lower back!! Cruisers can be more comfortable, or not... depends on your bars, seat, and how fast you ride and I would assume your own personal posture and body make up too.... After a few hundred miles I have to stand up on the pegs a bit and adjust my junk, my poor balls get all smashed when my jeans ride up. Oh, and cruiser without windshield, plus full face helmet can mean neck strain too at speed....

Lots of people on here with many more miles than me, but generally speaking endurance in anything is gained only one way... Do it till it hurts, then go a bit farther. Repeat until nothing hurts or you die. Take Ibuprofen if necessary.

Alright, this may sound like a stretch but true. I usually only ride non stop when I'm heading back home from my trips. My longest stretch was from North Dakota to Columbus, Oh back in 2005. Total miles, estimated 1800 and 23 hrs. Stopped only for gas, munchies and to relieve myself

Next long haul was 1500 mi from Nova Scotia (Cape Breton Island) back to Columbus, OH. Stopped only for gas, muchies and to relieve myself total time 28 hrs. On the way back from NS the rain and fog especially during the night caused the delay in me getting back any sooner.

My bike is actually a little tall for me, so i have to tiptoe it at red lights and stop signs, but that fact makes it an excellent long tourer, i didn't need to lower the pegs, and i have a pretty long torso, so the handlebars are at a great height, too

Join the DTC, We'll get you used to long distances...