Cam upgrade LS1

BrendanB

Anyone on here know what the average cost of a new cam install is for an LS1? I'm thinking about buying one this summer for my '00 Trans Am, and would more than likely have the work done at IPS, where my car's been worked on before. Seems like a good way to make easy power and torque, just iffy on the price of install

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well parts will vary depending on the size of the cam and how many things you feel need replaced. The absolutly needed parts are the cam, pushrods, valve springs, and gaskets. The springs can vary some based on the cam, bigger more aggressive cams will need stiffer somewhat more expensive springs. Then there are the optional parts that would be a good idea for a higher mileage car or for added piece of mind, oil pump, lifters (but would require head removal), timing chain. If it were me I'd put a fresh timing chain, and oil pump in as these are very important and not too expensive parts.

Cam $400

Valvesprings $200-$400

Pushrods $125

Timing Chain $125

Oil Pump $125

Gaskets/Fluids $200+/-

As for labor you're on your own, I've never paid for work. This is all off the cuff so its just meant to be close.

Valve springs don't cost $300-450 lol, more like $180-$300. PRC .650 dual springs with seals and retainers cost $270 on WS6store if I remember correctly and those are pretty top of the line.

Fine, I'll give you $180 Comp 918s, but an aggressive cam would need more then PRD .650" lift dual springs, ever priced Comp 921s? or the newer 928s?

What do you consider an "agressive cam" for an LS1? Specs?

24x duration or bigger, LSr cam lobes or any cam lobe that has a fast ramp rate. Just because it has under .650" lift doesn't mean those basic dual springs are going to control it very well. You actually go really aggressive and spring pressures and coil bind come into play, but I doubt the OP really wants to get this that far off topic, so just let it go bud.

Buddy got a quote from performance Theory before ips bought then out. There estimate was 3400 no oil pump but included injectors

Injectors brings up a good point, just about anything more then a mild cam will need some bigger fuel injectors.

Short term goals?

Long term goals?

Budget?

Purpose for mods.. racing, sound and appearance, gas mileage, everyday fun.. all of the above?

All of the above lol, and just a cam that's daily useable all year round, but relatively cheap. I'm hoping to budget 1500-1700 or so if that helps narrow it down

All of the above lol, and just a cam that's daily useable all year round, but relatively cheap. I'm hoping to budget 1500-1700 or so if that helps narrow it down

Sounds like you should be looking for a cam in the 22x duration range, .500-.560 lift, you may want to check out Thunder Racing's line of cams. I really liked my 224-112 cam when I had it, it used basic Comp 918 springs, and provided a nice bump across the RPM band. A buddies full bolt-on 6 speed car made just over 400 to the wheels, and needed a set of injectors.

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by/vehicle/1998-2002-LS1-F-Body/Cylinder-Heads-and-Valvetrain/Camshafts/

Sounds like you should be looking for a cam in the 22x duration range, .500-.560 lift, you may want to check out Thunder Racing's line of cams. I really liked my 224-112 cam when I had it, it used basic Comp 918 springs, and provided a nice bump across the RPM band. A buddies full bolt-on 6 speed car made just over 400 to the wheels, and needed a set of injectors.

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by/vehicle/1998-2002-LS1-F-Body/Cylinder-Heads-and-Valvetrain/Camshafts/

What kind of power gains did you get with that cam?/What else does it need than is provided in the package (minus injectors and a tune)?

What kind of power gains did you get with that cam?/What else does it need than is provided in the package (minus injectors and a tune)?

I honestly couldn't tell you on my car, it was just street tuned. The same cam in my buddies car picked up about 40 horse. Cam package, gasket set, injectors, tune, and I'd do a fuel pump just for safety. Should get most cars over 370 wheel with bolt-ons.