Workout Supplements

Hahn

LOL. I got up to 190ish shredded just over a year ago. Haven't lifted since because I wanted to take a break bc i've lifted all my life from wrestling years to just stayin fit. Never touched the sauce lil guy. I'm sure if I just ate ate ate I could hit over 200 and still stay lean bc of my metabolism. You sound like all those guys on the bb.com forums that say they're %100 nattie and have a small chemisty lab going on inside of them. Either way its all good bro. Keep pushin heavy weight. I'm done bashing. :)

well i've been lifting for 20 years, gains never came fast, just with constancy and hard work. I got up to 193 shredded this past summer but have dipped down in the weight since i had a break up with a girlfriend that throw me into a mini-depression, plus a couple of small injuries and going back to school full time while working full time. Never took the sauce, as i compete in a lot of tested federations, like i said i shy away from most supplements also, as i never had strength gains from any except creatine.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the supps that I am on really just help me intensify my workouts, get through the intense workouts and then to recover faster afterwards. The only thing that I have ever taken and seen strength gains was testosterone and as soon as I stopped taking it, they went away. I agree with smokinghawk and gains never come fast, no matter what you are taking. Hard work and determination is what play the biggest part.

Now that everyone has had their say. Hahn you are over looking a couple of things to you benifit. Your environment. I'm pretty sure you'r walking everywhere you go. For me, It's an easy10 miles a week in getting places, plus the workout. This is a plus. Never count a hard days work, as any part of your workout. It's just an extra, but don't over look it as what you need to eat for and recover from. I'm guessing you are having fun with the snow up there, as the next 4 days are going to be shit here. Add to that, if you guess are wearing your gear all the time like at TK.

You are in a structured environment and your gains and progress should be multilied by that as long as you are disiplined to your diet and training program. Between the gear I wear and the raining schedule I've been able to have, shit is simple and the PT test I took yesterdays was a joke. Maxed PU and SU with 25 sec to spare on each, and 80% on the run. I never run or train for it, so I don't really care if I'm still getting 80%. Point being, workout and be disiplined to your training and eating, and shit gets easy. Plus, you're are 4400 ft in elevation, I'm at 3500. Breathing suuuuucked for the run. But back home, the run will feel easier.

Eat to train and eat to recover. There is some good info in this thead, but you have to sift through what you understand, before you use it. Never use something unless you know exactly what it's purpose is. Creatine and whey are a good start point. Then read and learn. Try what you re interested in if you can before buying. There is always 5 real meat heads who know what does what, and 10 of their friends in the platoon who just bought it because their buddy has it or said to.

Thanks Mojoe. This week has been a pretty good starting week. Just need to up the cardio but thats hard to do with all the snow/ice and sports getting nixed by higher. If i tighten up my diet a little bit more i should be golden and start to see some results quickly. No PT test here yet, but thats ok since i havent ran 2 miles since October.

Now that everyone has had their say. Hahn you are over looking a couple of things to you benifit. Your environment. I'm pretty sure you'r walking everywhere you go. For me, It's an easy10 miles a week in getting places, plus the workout. This is a plus. Never count a hard days work, as any part of your workout. It's just an extra, but don't over look it as what you need to eat for and recover from.

We have different opinions on this. I feel anything you do on a consistent basic you should count. If you're focused on a balanced work out you shouldnt ignore significant physical exertion. If its a light sparatic workout definitely.. but spending time on cardio after walking 10 miles everyday isnt really needed for most people. Count that 10 miles and focus on other aspects of your workout. If its enough to calculate in your recovery (and you are burning calories like a boss) I say count it.

Eat to train and eat to recover.

This is all working out is in a nutshell. Im probably going to print this off and post it up.

Creatine and whey are a good start point

I've never been a fan of things like creatine. It definitley works, but I have always like using food... Im old fashioned that way. What worked for me to get the bursts of energy was eating 2 bananas, whole grain cereal, and drinking V8 about 30 - 45 minutes before working out. Following it up with boneless chicken (or fish), almonds, and grape juice right after the workout gave me the quickest results.

We have different opinions on this. I feel anything you do on a consistent basic you should count. If you're focused on a balanced work out you shouldnt ignore significant physical exertion. If its a light sparatic workout definitely.. but spending time on cardio after walking 10 miles everyday isnt really needed for most people. Count that 10 miles and focus on other aspects of your workout. If its enough to calculate in your recovery (and you are burning calories like a boss) I say count it.

This has to very based on what you train for. If it's a day where you are training a certain muscle that you may have used a lot at work that day(think construction worker), then to stay on track, you still train that muscle. You may have some fatigue already going into it. But for balanced development, I still train it. The key to what I said was " a HARD days work". I can see your approach too. It simply comes to how much demand you put on yourself for you goal and what you can really handle.

Creatine is a natural protein. I read at one time, to get the effect equal to supplementing it, you would have to eat 10 steaks a day. I wouldn't call what you do old fashion. How about basic human being, hold the happy meal. You're all real food. That's freaking awesome, at least to me. That's my norm on or off using supplements. You won't have the ability swings to manage, so no reason if it works for you to do other wise.

I'm a fan of supplements and have used them on an off over the last 20 years. I have seen people over use thinking "more is better". And I have seen failures with them. You have to find your balance, once you do, that's you and it works. Stick to it. I have a young guy training with me now that I know if I told him it was prove eating camel shit would get you ripped, he would be outside the wire in the mine field gathering camel shit. I'm trying to get him to learn and know what things do and how the body works. People treat it like a chemistry set. "Let's add this to it and see if it blows up"!!!! They will be on all this shit and then still drink pop, energy drinks, and alcohol to excess.

At this point I'm ranting. You guys get the picture.

This has to very based on what you train for. If it's a day where you are training a certain muscle that you may have used a lot at work that day(think construction worker), then to stay on track, you still train that muscle. You may have some fatigue already going into it. But for balanced development, I still train it. The key to what I said was " a HARD days work". I can see your approach too. It simply comes to how much demand you put on yourself for you goal and what you can really handle.

Nevermind, I agree with you completely. Youre speaking to building good habits and pushing yourself. I misunderstood.

Been eating healthy all week and i could deff feel it at the gym tonight. Just felt like i could go bigger on everything. Then i had to play medic when a civilain passed out. Ruined the rest of the workout after that lol.

Is good stuff

if your a girl..

speaking of which this lifter chick i knew and hadnt seen for a while showed up at my gym and she was jacked. Had more muscle mass and definition then me.

Im guessing that, that stuff works (for chicks)

if your a girl..

speaking of which this lifter chick i knew and hadnt seen for a while showed up at my gym and she was jacked. Had more muscle mass and definition then me.

Im guessing that, that stuff works (for chicks)

My buddy did a 30 day Anavar cycle. He chose that because its so soft and he has some mediacal conditions . I watched him go a lot heavier in the gym when he was on it.

so I run out today to grab some whey protein. I stopped at Grandview Nutrition and I just wanted some cheap Gold Standard. They wanted $38.00 for a 2lber, GNC has it on sale for $25. Needless to say I went to GNC. I walk into GNC b-line straight to what I want grab it and go straight to the register. The guy there will not stop trying to upsell me on everything in the damn store. I finally just tell him look just ring me up I dont need other shit. I'm ordering online for my shit from now on.

I know I know cool story bro, but I'm so tired of that shit. If you say you know what you want leave the person alone.

If you're just trying to drop some fat while staying fit it sounds like you're already on the right track, just reduce your caloric intake and keep up the excercise. I see no need for supplements for simple weight loss.

End of story. Just started counting calories myself and it's going to be the missing link in my workout life. Go get an iPhone app like loseit - super easy to use and tells you all kinds of great stuff. This will be my most fit summer yet.

so I run out today to grab some whey protein. I stopped at Grandview Nutrition and I just wanted some cheap Gold Standard. They wanted $38.00 for a 2lber, GNC has it on sale for $25. Needless to say I went to GNC. I walk into GNC b-line straight to what I want grab it and go straight to the register. The guy there will not stop trying to upsell me on everything in the damn store. I finally just tell him look just ring me up I dont need other shit. I'm ordering online for my shit from now on.

I know I know cool story bro, but I'm so tired of that shit. If you say you know what you want leave the person alone.

Vinces Muscle shop on Sawmill is a really good spot. If I dont oreder from bodybuilding.com then I go see him. He is a lot cheaper and doesnt try to upsell you on anything.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't read the rest of the thread. That being said, you don't need supplements.

Agreed, i decided this past week that im not going to bother with anything more than a one a day multivitamin.