Geico cancels my insurance because "Performance Characteristics"???

On3Performance

I had this issue many years ago with a small independent insurer. I bought of all things a Fiero - and they would not insure it. I called around and found a good State Farm agent - Bob Zedeker (also into cars). I asked him at that time if there was anything they would not insure - even if I went out and bought a Ferrari tomorow. At that time they would insure anything subject to whatever rates applied and they would repair them to the same standards as any other car - i.e. stone chips on the hood-repaint the hood, not the entire car.

I've been with them 30+ years, no hassles. Cars on and off the policy, change cars to comprehensive coverage only for months at a time then back to regular coverage - no problems.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you go with Geico to begin with? Did you shop around at all?

Probably because they were cheaper for him than anyone else? It still boggles my mind that people don't understand how the company that is cheaper for them may be the most expensive for another person.

I don't have other companies lists but I do have access to Nationwide's list of ineligable vehicles. GTR is not on this list (Yet).

Acura NSX

Audi R8

Aston Martin - all

Bentley - all

Bugatti - all

Ferrari - all

Ford - GT / GT40

Jaguar - XJ220

Lamborghini - all

Lotus - all

Maserati - all

Maybach - all

McLaren - all

Panoz - all

Porsche 911 Turbo, 911 GT3 RS, Carrera GT, 959

Rolls Royce - all

Saleen - S7

Spyker - all

SSC - All

List with my carrier is likely similar. I had to take my GT3 to my company for them to see in person when I bought it so that they could verify it was not an RS because they will not cover the RS.

Progressive has a similar list. Some cars just get tagged with a high performance surcharge (including all RX-7's which I think is overkill). Pretty sure we won't insure anything worth over $250,000 (stated amount or otherwise) so by default some of the cars on that list are ineligible.

I know we insure Aston Martin though, only because I just had to explain to a lady why her policy was so expensive insuring an Aston Martin at a stated amount of $249,000 in Miami with a pretty poor driving record. She assumed if she insured it for that much that she would automatically get that amount in a total loss :dumb:.

buy $80k car, cheap out on insurance.

I've dealt with people who pay cash for a brand new Benz or BMW and only insure it at liability. I don't care how much money you have, the extra premium you'd pay to at least get something back if the vehicle were stolen or totaled could never exceed the cost of some of these vehicles. It's frustrating trying to explain this to people.

I've dealt with people who pay cash for a brand new Benz or BMW and only insure it at liability. I don't care how much money you have' date=' the extra premium you'd pay to at least get something back if the vehicle were stolen or totaled could never exceed the cost of some of these vehicles. It's frustrating trying to explain this to people.[/quote']

I dont know if this in in reference to me but it seems to be. I was with my other insurance agency for the whole time I have been a driver and just recently shopped and switched. I have as good of coverage as I had for a fraction of the price. I went through both of the companies my dad deals with, granted I think he only has about 20 1st gen camaros through them and maybe a dozen work vehicles. They agreed it was a good policy and couldn't beat the price, so I changed. But hell what do I know

I dont know if this in in reference to me but it seems to be. I was with my other insurance agency for the whole time I have been a driver and just recently shopped and switched. I have as good of coverage as I had for a fraction of the price. I went through both of the companies my dad deals with, granted I think he only has about 20 1st gen camaros through them and maybe a dozen work vehicles. They agreed it was a good policy and couldn't beat the price, so I changed. But hell what do I know

Wasn't in reference to you. I was just commenting on the comment Skinner made as a generalization, not toward you in specific. As far as them saying your 02 GT has performance characteristics, I wouldn't want to keep my business with a company that thinks that to begin with. Makes me wonder how accurately they are rating your policy to begin with if they really thing a Mustang (even a Cobra) is a high performance vehicle relative to what most companies consider "true" high performance cars.

I know we insure Aston Martin though' date=' only because I just had to explain to a lady why her policy was so expensive insuring an Aston Martin at a stated amount of $249,000 in Miami with a pretty poor driving record. She assumed if she insured it for that much that she would automatically get that amount in a total loss :dumb:.[/quote']

Never ceases to amaze me the number of people in this country who are handed the keys to such a car without having the faintest understanding of how insurance works.

Just got a phone call and they are canceling insurance on 2 of my cars due to "performance characteristics". Anyone else heard of this kind of bs or had anything like that happen?

Wow, that sucks.

My family is on Farmers now and we're trying to find another insurance company. The rates are too damn high (insert meme here).

Anyways, my dad's BMW 328xi coupe was claimed a performance car and therefore insurance jacked, and then my car got added to the policy and of course I will get the higher insurance, as expected.

Just still don't understand how a base 3 series (he went from a sedan to a coupe) will get a jack in insurance rates of $40 a month.

Just still don't understand how a base 3 series (he went from a sedan to a coupe) will get a jack in insurance rates of $40 a month.

-rich daddies have daughters reaching driving age

-purchase base auto AWD BMW for 16th birthday present

-months later, 16 year old daughter has had 4 crashes in said car

-your insurance rates spike because insurer assumes everyone who drives 328xi is a moron due to higher-than-average incident rates

Chad, I believe this is a bigger conspiracy to keep you from being crowned the kind of 270. After you turbocharge Dirt II, its going to melt some faces... It will be the next LS1 Camaro to ruin street racing, for everyone.

Patrick Spoon

Brandon's Throne

BLTD50H

Chad, I believe this is a bigger conspiracy to keep you from being crowned the kind of 270. After you turbocharge Dirt II, its going to melt some faces... It will be the next LS1 Camaro to ruin street racing, for everyone.

Patrick Spoon

Brandon's Throne

BLTD50H

lol they won't add it either, my account has some bullshit freeze on it. I had to get them copies of all my titles and proof of ownership. I flipped out on the underwriter, she kept saying its odd for one person to own this many cars. So I told her I think its stupid when chicks go out and buy collections of $500 handbags and have 50 pairs of shoes in the closet. She didnt like that at all but I was offended at the same time

lol they won't add it either, my account has some bullshit freeze on it. I had to get them copies of all my titles and proof of ownership. I flipped out on the underwriter, she kept saying its odd for one person to own this many cars. So I told her I think its stupid when chicks go out and buy collections of $500 handbags and have 50 pairs of shoes in the closet. She didnt like that at all but I was offended at the same time

I spoke with a guy today, late 20's and single in Georgia. He had 7 cars (including 350Z, Benz SL550, a Challenger and some trucks), a Harley, and his house all insured through us. I made it a point to double check that he was the only person driving the vehicles or in the household, and he was. I can't speak for other companies, but if you are willing to pay the price, we aren't going to turn someone down because they have too many cars.

I also spoke with a family who is paying over $2,000 per MONTH for insurance, and we were the cheapest they found. I guess having 3 brand new BMW's, a bunch of accidents/tickets and you live in Miami, things aren't cheap :gabe:.

Some companies are just more willing to write high risk polices, which is how the company I work for originally started out. 3 DUI's, 2 at-fault accidents and multiple other tickets? No problem as long as you pay us.