Watch Cost of Gas Jump 10 Cents During ABC’s ‘World News’ Broadcast

SLOWLX

I think I am going to hit up all the largest on-line social sites and forums and begin the rumor that "I heard gas is dropping $1.00 per gallon before April" and see what happens.

The media spouts off about 24x7 about dooms day prices, speculators foam at the mouth, and prices rise.

Or at least that's my ignorant uninformed POV.

From Delaware to Columbus last Saturday morning, the majority of the stations raised their price for regular gas 30 to 40 cents/gallon from the time I went to Cars & Coffee until I came home, 3 hours later. I filled up two cars at 3.19/gallon that morning.

Today, for the first time in recent memory, regular gas and diesel were selling at the same price (3.69/gallon) at the same station, Turkey Hill in Delaware. NPR was saying it was due to two domestic and one foreign refinery closing. A fact that surprised me was that although the U.S. imports crude oil, we actually export gasoline. This is apparently because of the very low price of natural gas here, which allows the U.S. to refine gasoline (a process that uses a lot of energy) cheaper than the rest of the world can.

the majority of the stations raised their price for regular gas 30 to 40 cents/gallon from the time I went to Cars & Coffee until I came home, 3 hours later.

This is what pisses me off. Trickle down slowly, then spike upwards. Lather, rinse, repeat. Plus or minus a few cents a day makes sense, but 40 cents in just one go? There's no way you can tell me this isn't being rigged somehow.