Which rifle?

HotCarl

with a budget of $800 what should i get?

Possabilities:

Ak47

Ak74

AR (either .223 or 5.56)

ruger mini14

m1a scout (not sure if its in my price range)

It needs to be strong and reliable, accurate out to 100-150yards with just iron sights (which i think is possible with any of these). Price includes any add on's, extra mag's, and/or sights. And somewhat cheap to shoot, i dont want to spend alot of money everytime i wanna shoot the thing. And i already have a ruger 10/22 and a mossberg so dont need another shotgun or plinker.

Ive gone back and forth between ak and ar. obviously its an age old debate but even if i pick up a cheap ak i dont want junk and quality ak's are just as expensive as ar's. Any suggestions?

I think you can rule the AR10 and M1A out on the "cheap to shoot" requirement. 7.62x51 (.308) is not cheap to shoot.

IF you can find a well built AK74, that would be a little more accurate than an AK47 type rifle and the ammo is less expensive.

The AR would be the way to go for the best accuracy, though.

If you only have 800 for everything I would say get the AK.

You can do a decent build in 5.56 depending on the upper and lower you go with. If you want to change to 6.8 spc or 300aac down the road it's a quick upper change. You just won't have any money left for optics or mags.

I was in the same boat as you not to long ago and went with an AR build in 5.56. I would have liked to do a .308 build but it is definitely a lot more pricey.

Good luck finding an M1A for 800 too. If you can find one that cheap though, pick it up.

I liked ARs before they went all mainstream, so I say pick something a little more obscure, like a nice flintlock.

Funny but, if i were to build an AR i would want it almost exactly like the one you posted in this thread http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100625 , the front grip, sight and rear flip up iron sight, the butt stock. Mind if i ask how much that all ran you?

Any specific purpose for the rifle or just for all around fun?

I would really like to look into IDPA stuff and maybe some 3 gun competitions for amateur's this year. I usually carry a glock 26 and have a pretty basic mossberg 500. If not that then to have a rifle for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

I thought an M1a would be out of my price range, the last one i saw was a special socom edition that was 2300, but scotty tells me even his was 1800. I like them but if i can have something just as accurate, cheaper to shoot and have money left over for extra mag's and ammo then theres just no reason for it.

Funny but, if i were to build an AR i would want it almost exactly like the one you posted in this thread http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100625 , the front grip, sight and rear flip up iron sight, the butt stock. Mind if i ask how much that all ran you?

That rifle has me about 1100 in the hole, but an identical-looking build could be done for much less than that. The MOE stock, and grip can be found quite cheap. The handguard is midwest industries, foregrip is a magpul AFG2, and the sling attachment endplate is a troy. The rail covers were ebayed for cheap, something like 4 for $15, I couldn't bring myself to pay more for them.

Someone on here picked up one of these and posted some pictures. I looked into it, and it seems like a very decent AR for the money.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/108807/name/windham-weaponry-ww-15-.2235.56mm-16n4-a4-telestock

I was actually on the road to pick one up, but talked myself into saving a bit and going with a handgun right now instead. Still haven't bought anything, but this is always in the back of my mind.