Rockauto vs. local parts store

zeitgeist57

In working on the Ford, I'm going to need a lot of new parts, from water pump to clutch and lots of parts in between. I've been loving rockauto.com recently for nicer parts, where they definitely come in cheaper. However, for $30 starters and alternators, I don't think the quality difference in advance auto parts and rockauto are that much different. The big thing is the shipping: $8 for a $0.45 thermostat gasket is a bit ridiculous.

Plus, for any warranty work, there is a time factor in shipping a part back to rockauto for a new part. Advance is right around the corner.

Thoughts, CR? If I could get a price match from advance on rockAuto's listed pricing, I think that would clinch it for me;I'd keep the parts-buying local.

RockAuto actually uses several warehouses in the Midwest to fill some of their orders. That said, being able to take it back locally and not wait is great (and as you mentioned-no freight). Any more, most of the retailers have as many name brand parts as the traditional folks.

NAPA has good stuff, but unless you can buy it under one of their preferred accounts, I find them a bit pricey.

O'Reilly & Advance seem very close on hard parts - it just comes down to brand preference. Be carefull on the "front room" stuff (chemicals/wiper blades/etc) - since this stuff can't be compared easilly online, it's often cheaper other sources. They bank on "convenience" to help their profit.

AutoZone has some decent stuff, but I am not a fan of "private label" (Duralast) where they will tell you it has "xxx brand" in the box. Too many parts buyers are now "spreadhseet buyers". Yes, predominantly it may be the brand you think, but on the top moving numbers that they can import in bulk, maybe not.

Two other sources in town are KOI-Federated (west & Worthington) as well as Smyth Parts Plus (downtown, east & Westerville). Neither have a "retail store" in town, but both have pickup warehouses in the locations mentioned.

I was impressed by Rock Auto earlier last week. Needed 4 shocks for our XTerra. Apparently there is a warehouse somewhere in NC. Ordered them Wed. AM and they showed up Thurs. AM! Definitely didnt expect them that fast!

Same with odds and ends for my MINI when I had it. Shipped fast and it was OEM stuff as if I had went to the dealer for it!

I may be willing to bet that if you called them about the gasket shipping they would take care of it?.. I am sure their system is pretty automatic for shipping online. I did also order 2 PCV Valves and the shipping was as much as the parts!... But still less than at the part store..

At-least for import parts rock-auto usually has a good selection of quality parts (parts with the car brand name ground off.) Carquest can order good stuff though world-pac however that will take just as long as rock auto and it doesn't get shipped to your door. Alot of the local places parts are so cheap it's unreal. I have to install my sister in law's right side axle in her Camry a 3rd time this week.

You can almost always get a coupon for $40 off $100 at advance auto. I have an advance auto literally a few hundred feet from my house. Its convenient to build a rapport with them. I can return a part and even if sometimes it doesn't fit the warranty guidelines they do what it takes to take care of me.

When I lived in OH, I used Autozone and O'Reillys for pretty much everything that could be bought locally. However, for some stuff I couldn't find locally here in TX, (trans rebuild kit for my DSM) I bought from Rock Auto. It Should be getting rebuilt this week so we will see how the parts hold up.

I have friends in OH that raved about how awesome RA was. If I had to guess, it's 6 and one half. I usually went with whoever had the part I needed for the least amount of money.

I'm putting a list together with parts that I need, and both Dave at O'Reillys and Elmer at Advance Auto on Bethel said they would work with me to do a price match.

I've wasted more time on this than I'd like, and I can say with relative certainty that the price/value on cheap parts is too-close-to-call for Rockauto and local chains. I agree with everyone else that having a local spot to return parts for warranty work is helpful...