NRA Instructor Course

Guest Hal

Has anyone taken a pistol instructor course around here? I've been thinking a lot about getting certified, but I'm not sure which courses around here are worth the money. Any insight would be appreciated.

Has anyone taken a pistol instructor course around here? I've been thinking a lot about getting certified, but I'm not sure which courses around here are worth the money. Any insight would be appreciated.

After talking with a guy at Blackwing about IDPA courses and competition, he said after you compete or take part in 3 or more competition's you can apply to be an instructor. Not completely clear if this was an NRA instructor (it was implied) or not. But If you want to be certified as an instructor its worth looking into. If its true it sounds like a fun and easy way of doing it.

After talking with a guy at Blackwing about IDPA courses and competition, he said after you compete or take part in 3 or more competition's you can apply to be an instructor. Not completely clear if this was an NRA instructor (it was implied) or not. But If you want to be certified as an instructor its worth looking into. If its true it sounds like a fun and easy way of doing it.

My understanding was that if you do 3 IDPA events it means you don't have to go through the pre-course qualification but you still need to take the instructors courses.

NRA TRAINING COUNSELOR GUIDE

Appendix 5: NRA Instructor Training Program Pre-Course Qualification Pistol

Appendix 5

NRA INSTRUCTOR TRAINING PROGRAM PRE-COURSE QUALIFICATION

PISTOL

Name of Candidate ______________________________Date______________

The NRA Instructor Training Pre-Course Qualification is to be administered after the potential Instructor Candidate has achieved a minimum score of 90 percent on the Basic Pistol Shooting Course Student Exam. The Pre-Course Qualification must be administered before or during an Instructor Training Course and is a hands-on, practical exercise to evaluate an individual’s knowledge, skills and attitude in safety, loading, unloading, clearing firearm malfunctions, and shooting skills. The qualification is conducted in three phases. Alternatively, candidates may provide documented proof of Classified Sharpshooter or better in NRA Conventional or Action Pistol, Classified Marksman or better in International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) or Classified “C” or better in US Practical Shooting Association(USPSA)/International Practical Shooting Confederation(IPSC) or a certification as an NRA LEAD Handgun/Shotgun or Tactical Handgun certified instructor.

Passing/Failing:

The NRA Pre-Course Qualification for Pistol will have a maximum score of 100 points and a minimum passing score of 80 points. Minimum passing requirement must be met in each phase.

Unsafe Gun Handling:

Candidates who demonstrate unsafe gun handling will be given 0 points for that particular skill test. Examples of unsafe gun handling include pointing the gun in an unsafe direction or any area not designated as safe by the Training Counselor, sweeping one’s own body, or placing the finger on the trigger before being ready to shoot.

PHASE 1 - LOADING/UNLOADING

Using dummy ammunition, instructor candidate must load and unload a single action revolver, double action revolver, and a semi-automatic pistol.

Requests for assistance will result in a deduction of 3 points per action type in the exercises; candidate will be given a score of 0 for safety violations.

Revision date 01-10

A5- 1

Minimum Passing 12 points / Maximum 15 points 5 points maximum per action type

Single Action Revolver Double Action Revolver Semi-Automatic Pistol

Unloading

TOTAL

Minimum Passing 12 points / Maximum 15 points 5 points maximum per action type

Single Action Revolver Double Action Revolver Semi-Automatic Pistol

TOTAL

PHASE 2 – CLEARING COMMON PISTOL STOPPAGES Location: Range

Using dummy ammunition, instructor candidate must demonstrate how to clear a common pistol stoppage using a semi-automatic pistol. Training Counselor will set-up the pistol and conduct a practical exercise involving failure to fire and double feeds.

Requests for assistance will result in a deduction of 3 points per action type in the exercises; candidate will be given a score of 0 for safety violations.

FAILURE TO FIRE DRILL: If candidate waits 30 seconds keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, taps the bottom of the magazine, and pulls the slide to the rear, 5 points will be given.

DOUBLE FEED DRILL: If the candidate locks the slide to the rear, removes the magazine, and renders the pistol unloaded 5 points will be given.

Revision date 01-10

A5- 2

Minimum Passing 8 points / Maximum 10 points 5 points maximum per stoppage type

Semi-Automatic Failure to Fire Semi-Automatic Double Feed

PHASE 3 – PISTOL SHOOTING Location: Range

TOTAL

Candidate will shoot any gun of their choice, regardless of action, sights or caliber, at a blank 9 inch diameter paper target at a distance of 15 yards. Candidates will fire 20 shots from a two-handed, unsupported, standing position. Targets will be broken into two ten- shot targets or four five-shot targets. Three points will be given for each scoring hit. In order for a hit to count, it must fall inside a 1⁄2” border from the edge of the plate. Shots that break the edge of the 1⁄2” border will count as hits. All scoring hits on a target must be within a 6” or less extreme spread (see below). Candidates will be allowed to shoot their own firearms if desired. Two requalification shoots are allowed within any 24-hour period.

If adjusted distance is required due to range limitations, the following formulae will be used; all distances are in inches (hit scoring and requirements remain the same):

Target Diameter: Outside Border: Extreme Spread:

Target Distance divided by 60.0 Target Diameter divided by 18.0 Target Diameter divided by 1.5

Candidate will be given a score of 0 for safety violations.

Revision date 01-10

A5- 3

Minimum Passing 48 points / Maximum 60 points 3 points for each scoring hit

Pistol Shooting

Phase I Loading Unloading Sub-Total:

Minimum Passing 80%

Phase II Clearing Stoppages Sub-Total:

Minimum Passing 80%

Phase III Pistol Shooting Sub-Total:

Minimum Passing 80%

Pistol Pre-Course Qualification Total Score:

Some more info I had saved on my computer when i was looking into this.

How to Become a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

by G.M. Harding (gm@starbase.sj.unisys.com)

Someone on rec.guns asked:

# The title line says it all. I want to become a NRA certified Pistol # Instructor. I am, of course, a NRA member. Any info will be appreciated.

I'm ideally qualified (if I do say so myself) to speak to this topic, because I just completed the NRA pistol instructor certification course. I'm posting my experiences since they may be of general interest to the readership. Besides, the commitment to safety and proficiency required of instructors makes them valuable assets to the entire shooting community, and I would like to encourage all responsible shooters to consider instructing.

Actually, although NRA membership is desirable on general principles, one need not be an NRA member in order to become an NRA-certified instructor. The certification simply allows you to teach the official NRA curriculum, which is a recognized standard in the shooting community, and to use the NRA name and/or logo in your advertising (e.g., on a business card). Thus, the training you give to your students as a certified instructor carries the full authority of a long-established and respected organization. (Even our legislative adversaries acknowledge the quality of NRA's instructional and safety materials.)

I'll describe the pistol instructor certification process, since that's what you asked about, but you should be aware that there are several other certifications available. The complete list is as follows:

• Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun

• Basic Muzzleloading Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun

• Home Firearm Safety

• Personal Protection

To become a certified instructor, in any discipline, you must: (a) be at least 21 years old; (b) demonstrate a solid background in safety and marksmanship through satisfactory completion of an NRA basic course or equivalent experience; © complete an NRA Instructor Training Course for the area of specialization you wish to teach; (d) pass the final examination with a score or 90% or better; and (e) submit your application with the appropriate processing fee, which is $10 for members, $15 for non-members.

The most important part of the certification process is the Instructor Training Course. You must take this course, in person, from an NRA Training Counselor. Since you must attend the course in person, you'll want to find a training counselor who lives near you. NRA Member Services can give you a list of training counselors in your geographical area. You will pay a fee for the course, which is separate from the NRA processing fee mentioned above. Training counselors can charge whatever they want, but they're reasonable people who have an interest in developing the sport, and I wouldn't expect you to pay much more than $100. Certainly no one gets rich as a Training Counselor (or, for that matter, as an instructor).

The course itself consists of seventeen hours of instruction, broken into two parts. The first part is six hours long and deals with instructional methods; this is a core segment, which all instructor candidates take. The second part of the course is discipline-specific. For pistol, it is eleven hours long and covers semi-automatics, double-action revolvers, and single-action revolvers. If, in order to satisfy requirement (b), above, you need to demonstrate your own proficiency, this part may include a trip to the range. (My Training Counselor had his own pellet-pistol range, which comes in handy if the candidate is already a pretty good shot and doesn't need much coaching.) You could complete the course in two long days, or even one extremely long day, but more typically it might be conducted over three or four Saturdays.

Once you pass the course, you submit your application to the NRA and wait four to six weeks for your credentials. BE SURE TO KEEP A COPY OF YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE in case the original gets lost in the shuffle.

As a certified instructor, you can order training materials from NRA which are not available to the general public. NRA's curriculum, and available instructional aids, are first- rate, and will definitely help beginning shooters get off on the right foot. You are responsible for organizing your own classes, and you may set your own fees. Your Training Counselor is supposed to put you in contact with an established instructor with whom you can team up, but this is not always possible, so you must be prepared to do everything on your own. It's also likely that NRA will institute currency requirements in the near future, so that you'll have to conduct some training each year or lose your certification.

The program is a good one, and I hope you'll sign up for it. Once you're a certified instructor, you command increased respect in shooting circles, as well as in letters to the editor and letters to public officials. There are also benefits, which are specific to your state of residence; in California, for example, certified instructors are among the classes of people specifically exempt from having to take a state course before purchasing a firearm.

If you have any further questions, contact NRA Member Services and talk to one of the Training Counselors in your area. (Reminder to net.readers: Even if you aren't an NRA member, you are welcome to ask the NRA about participating in its instructor program.)

Working on getting certified NRA now, have been assisting with CCW classes, past month, as soon as NRA training is complete will be certified to do so. Stolen 5.0 has already taken it, he may chime in later. We both took the IDPA range officer training bout a month ago. Pretty good shit, tons of knowledge, cant wait for good weather so we can actually RO some 3 gun/IDPA events.

Yes, I have my basic pistol/rifle/shotgun instructor certification also Range safety officier. Also my IDPA range officer.

The instructor class's were alot of hours and expensive.

This way I can spend even more time at the range :)

How much roughly did you spend on your certifications?