Cleaning Techniques

integranator

Hey guys, just seeing if maybe some of the military or more experienced members on the site would want to compile a cleaning techniques/products thread to help out some of the newer gun users. I personally have my own procedures and products that I feel work well or don't but maybe others have tips or tricks that may make the job easier. So maybe this could be a post what you usually do on your "cleaning day" thread!

Cleaning and lubrication will be different among individual firearms as well, not just classifications. Everyone tends to do their own thing. For example, a lot of firearm professionals (i.e., gunsmiths, shooters, etc...) I know are lax on gun cleaning.

I think I overclean my guns. After everytime I shoot I heep going until the rags, q tips, nd cleaning pads are free of anything.

How often would you guys wipe and go instead of using products that break down lead and stuff? Lets say you shoot 2 times a month and put about 200 bullets through the gun each time. AR15 and mostly plastic Sig 9mm.

I think I overclean my guns. After everytime I shoot I heep going until the rags, q tips, nd cleaning pads are free of anything.

How often would you guys wipe and go instead of using products that break down lead and stuff? Lets say you shoot 2 times a month and put about 200 bullets through the gun each time. AR15 and mostly plastic Sig 9mm.

Be careful with cleaning too much, especially if you're using low quality rods and such. If you're not careful, you can easily scratch the bore of whatever you're cleaning. A clean, fucked-up bore is worse than a dirty, un-fucked one. A little bit of powder, copper and lead aren't going to hurt much by sitting in there.

Be careful with cleaning too much, especially if you're using low quality rods and such. If you're not careful, you can easily scratch the bore of whatever you're cleaning. A clean, fucked-up bore is worse than a dirty, un-fucked one. A little bit of powder, copper and lead aren't going to hurt much by sitting in there.

Good to know!

I clean my guns after every time I shoot but like Austin said be carful not to fuck up the bore, I usually just run a bore snake down the barrel a few times unless there is heavy fouling for some reason, then clean the rest of the gun until my rags/patches are clean then lube it up and put it away.

By the same token, be careful with lube. For the most part, Glocks aside, I like Larry Vickers' theory on lube.

"You can run a gun dirty and wet, but not dirty and dry."

What type of lube would you recommend for leaving a pistol in a car for 8 hours? Would winter and summer have a difference? Liquid or graphite?

It depends on how cold things are getting. Right now you should be fine with most lubes (like Hoppe's). If it's going to be really cold, I would use a dry lube.

I clean my guns after every time I shoot but like Austin said be carful not to fuck up the bore, I usually just run a bore snake down the barrel a few times unless there is heavy fouling for some reason, then clean the rest of the gun until my rags/patches are clean then lube it up and put it away.

I'm a big fan of boresnakes and good CLP soak for most of my cleaning duties. I have a decent amount of brushes and picks as well. Other than the CLP I do grease some areas depending on the firearm. I also recently picked up a gas tube cleaner.

When I was still a total handgun noob I don't think I cleaned my Glock 17 for a couple years. :lolguy: Now I think I sort of enjoy cleaning my guns.

Everyone has their preference on lubrication and cleaning products. I've been a fan of remoil since my 2nd tour in Iraq. Next to LSA, remoil worked on everything to include our M2 .50's. For you AR guys, the wetter, the better. As Hal mentioned, a dirty firearm will function when properly lubricated, where as a dry firearm will lock up etc.... Everyone had their preferences as to how much lube to run on a firearm, but I soaked my shit. As I have found out when expelling thousands of rounds, lubrication like LSA/CLP/remoil, made the firearm easier to clean. If you can score some dentist picks, and a good kit like the OTIS kits, you'll be fine.

My go to cleaner has been and will always be Hoppe's #9.

For the AR owner:

After I clean and wipe down my bolt carrier group (after a full field strip) I lubricate as I put back together. Even the buffer tube needs to be lubricated, unless you love the sound of grit and dirt against the spring. A little wet spot on the end of a buffer tube isn't a bad thing.

you guys have nothing on my gun cleaning. just cleaned my dads 10/22 that he gave me because it jammed after every other shot. it was last cleaned according to my dad about 40 years ago when he dropped it in the ohio river. same reason i cleaned his s&w 39 9mm, it kept jamming at the range the other day. interesting note, 15 years seems to be the max they will go dirty lol.

now the guns that are kept for protection are cleaned more often so they won't jam from being dirty. my glock was cleaned tonight, so thats roughly 2500 rounds through it or 2-3 years.

I prefer Hoppes, but with older guns or surplus arms, I'll use Ed's Red and THEN Hoppes. If the bore is SERIOUSLY cruddy, I'll fill it with Kroil overnight. I usually clean the chamber first, then brush from chamber to muzzle when possible. I use Lubriplate 144a for grease (or automattenfett for my Swiss guns), and Hoppes Oil.

I like Balistol. I've cleaned until patches come out spotless with other cleaners, and then chasing them with Balistol the patches will come out filthy again. It works well as a lubricant also. The licorice smell I don't care for, however. I like how Hoppes smells and generic gun oil.

Hoppes cleaner and RemOil are the only things that touch my guns.

I have a Browning O/U with over 200k rounds through it that has never had anything more than a boresnake w/ Hoppes through it.

I don't really have a specific technique. I just clean until I'm satisfied, taking care not to fuck anything up, specifically the part the bullet comes out of. I take my time because I enjoy the process. I do play around with quite a few products, though. I have some favorites that I always use.

-I'm a huge fan of Q-tips. Specifically the wooden kind that allow you to get into those deep, hard to reach places. Break off the cotton part and you have a make-shift pick. They can be bought from Brownells pretty cheap

-CHEAP paper towels (low-lint). I go through a crapload of these as well when cleaning.

-Plastic picks (though I have metal, too, if needed). Also great for cleaning in cracks and crevices. I get out the metal ones when I've got some caked on carbon that won't come off.

-Tipton Gun vice. Nice for holding long guns

-Tipton and Ransom gun mats. Keeps your shit from getting scratched up.

-WeaponSheild = Good shit. I run my guns wet.

http://i39.tinypic.com/15yvxc8.jpg

Pictured above is (Back row, from Left to Right):

-M-Pro 7 Gun and Bore cleaner = general spray-down and cleaning

-KG-3 'Solvent and Degreaser' = Overpriced brake cleaner. Don't waste your money.

-WeaponShield CLP (I just use it for the L and the P). Everything that I don't use grease on, gets coated in this. The outside of the weapons get a wipe-down to remove excess, leaving only a film, but the guts stay drenched.

-KG-1 Carbon Remover. Haven't got to try it too much yet, but from the little bit I've tried, it seems to work pretty well. Time will tell.

-M-Pro 7 Gun Oil. Haven't really tried. Gonna be hard to replace my WS, though.

-M-Pro 7 Bore Cleaning Gel. Again, haven't got to really try it. We'll see.

-Small black tub = WeaponShield Lithium Grease. Again, haven't used it much, but it's kind of a PITA to use. I prefer Gun Butter d/t it's ease of use.

-Air Duster. Obvious reasons. I'd rather have an air compressor, but it works in a pinch.

(Front row, from the Left):

-Super Lube Teflon grease. Amazing shit. Given to me by my father years ago. I guess its used in industrial applications. He decided to try it on guns and loved it. I've used it forever and am just now starting to try other things. I like to use it on pistol rails and trigger contacts. Pretty much anything that slides against something else.

-Gun Butter Grease. Also good shit. Expensive for what you get. I've been using it in place of Super Lube with good results.

-Gun Butter lube (sticky). Great for tight areas where you want some lube to stick. I like using it on the cylinders on my revolvers.

-Red tub = Briley Choke Tube grease. I use it strictly on my choke tubes. I'm not convinced its anything other than regular old, multi-purpose grease.

I few random thoughts:

It should also mentioned that Mobile 1 synthetic in your weight of choice is also an EXCELLENT lube. Add some assembly lube to that (more = stickier) and you essentially have Gun Butter.

I've been meaning to try Slide Glide in it's various forms and Tetra gun Grease, but haven't gotten around to it.

I used bore snakes for quick clean ups. I wash them after every use, though. I can't get the thought out of my head that I'm raking shit through the barrel with them.

A fired .45acp case works great for scraping the carbon off an AR bolt.

I'm told Eezox works great for long-term rust protection during storage. I've also been meaning to pick some up.

Not pictured are my rods, swabs, jags, etc. I run Dewey cleaning rods (fiberglass) and bore guide (ARs) to prevent from scratching bores. I hate those 'all-in-one' cleaning kits. They tend to be huge pieces of shit. I prefer to piece my stuff together with quality components as needed. For my ARs, I also like AR-specific chamber brushes and bbl extension swabs:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/243/243631.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/476/476553.jpg