Wildcat Hollow Hiking Trail

Guest Hal

Has anyone here done this trail (I seem to remember someone mentioning it before)? I'm planning to do the full trail in a couple weeks, weather permitting. If you've been, do you have any recommendations?

I've read that there is no reliable water access nearby. Is there any terrain difficulty that is going to require me to bring more water?

Me, Hwilli and Ben did it last year in the fall. It rained a ton before we went and while we were there. I DO NOT recomend this trail if it has been raining, if it's been raining enough it will be a gigantic swamp. There are better places to go if it's been raining.

As far as extra water, I didn't think elevation change was too horrible. What other trails of this length have you done so far? Maybe one of us will have done both this and another trail you've done and we can give you a good comparison.

There is some 'difficult' obstacles. A few creek creek crossings, but you can mostly get through those without getting wet if you want. Keep in mind this was in the fall, even though it had rained a lot lately I think the creeks were relatively dry from the summer. IIRC there were a few dry beds we went across... but maybe I'm mixing up trails. A few places where you have to go up or down drops that are a few feet, maybe 3-4 feet. There are a ton of places where trees have fallen and not been removed. Sometimes you can just climb over or under them, but sometimes they are big enough you have to go around them. Look for the easy way around, there is usually a path around, but it's not always so obvious. A few of these places are a little hairy, one where you could fall down a ravine scrambling over trees. There is overgrown brush in quite a few places... not a huge deal unless it has rained and then it will make you soaked at least up to your waist.

There are places where I probably would have gotten slightly lost if it weren't for Howard having already hiked this trail and getting lost the first time. There are places where the trial goes onto the roads, or old logging roads where it's not obvious where it picks back up. If you've been to Zaleski for example, it is much better marked, but a much more difficult trail from a distance and elevation standpoint.

None of these are huge detractors, and I think make the trail fun, but just want you to be aware that it's not just a flat hiking trail. Where you aren't scrambling up or around obstacles or bogging through mud, it's a pretty nice trail and not very rooty or rocky.

IIRC most of the water you will come near is stagnant. For few day hikes I like to carry all of my water anyways and just carry tabs for a backup. I think I took my typical 5L of water for cooking+drinking and had leftovers. Keep in mind that it was pretty cold and we didn't really cook food the last day due to miserable cold rain and wanting to just get the fuck out of there.

Something we meant to do last time and forgot, but will definitely do next time; stash water, some beers and DRY wood at a camp site. There are campsites all over the place and some of them are near 'roads'. There are, from what we could tell pretty well maintained gravel/fire roads that run all over. If you could figure out where one goes next to a camp site that's about half way through you could stash your evening & 2nd day water supply there. Then you would only have to carry 1-2L of water/day. In case you weren't aware, water is heavy. :gabe:

We stayed at a site that was probably 8-9 miles in, if you are going CCW, that we would all highly recommend. Lots of evergreens for cover and there are pine needles all over the ground. Makes for a super comfy sleeping surface. It is right next to an access road... or there was one just a few hundred yards up, I can't remember exactly, but there was one close. Sorry, I should have grabbed the GPS coordinates but forgot to fire it up while we were there. I think we figured out it was near T-456 where the trail starts heading straight south. http://www.heartofhocking.com/Wildcat.pdf

Other than it being cold and wet, I think we all enjoyed it and will definitely go back again sometime when it's dry.

This is the first trail I'm doing of any real distance. Usually I just do day trips to practice my land nav skills. As a result, I'm not really used to a defined trail. It sounds like exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Water is still my main concern, but I'll grab a map and see if I can't find a good place to stash some extra. May pack won't be too heavy for what I have planned, so I guess I can carry all I need if I absolutely have to. I'll just bring MRE's so I don't need extra water for cooking, that should keep my weight down.

I'll have to check out Zaleski for another trip this year, too. Thanks.

I assume you are taking 2 days to do Wildcat?

I would still give yourself (at least) 2L of water per day. I use water to cook, but not much, just dehydrated noodles and oatmeal, so a few oz/meal.

Normal Activity - 2L/day (sedentary, not hiking?)

Hot Temps - 3-4L/day

Heavy Exercise - 6-7L/day

Give yourself 3 days for Zaleski... me and Howard tried to do it in 2 days in about 90-100F heat with high humidity and bailed after 10 miles on the first day. Might have been doable in 3 days with that heat. Might have been doable if we were in better hiking shape. It's doable in 2 if you are in good hiking shape and it's not 95F, but it has a ton of elevation. You can break up Zaleski easily too, and not do the whole thing.

Zaleski is nice, there is a lot to see and it is a very, very well defined trail.

Water cisterns quite a few places on the trail.

I also did a little at Tar Hollow last year, I want to go back there and do an actual backpacking trip.

Good luck on your first trip! Post up if you have any questions, I'm sure I or someone else can help. I have a few references, I can either look at or you are welcome to borrow if you would like.

Well aren't you fucking special!

Of course you could do it in 1 day... but that doesn't sound as enjoyable to me.

Exactly. I don't want to rush the hike, rather I want to enjoy it. 2 days gives me a nice comfortable pace.

Exactly. I don't want to rush the hike, rather I want to enjoy it. 2 days gives me a nice comfortable pace.

It wasn't even rushed. Started at like 8am, finished at 5pm. Stopped like 3 to 5 times to take pics, shit, pee, eat, etc. Wasn't unenjoyable at all. Huge elevation changes too, at least in terms of ohio terra.

It wasn't even rushed. Started at like 8am, finished at 5pm. Stopped like 3 to 5 times to take pics, shit, pee, eat, etc. Wasn't unenjoyable at all. Huge elevation changes too, at least in terms of ohio terra.

I guess it isn't a rush, 2.6mph. I'm planning on 2mph and arriving late morning. We'll see how it goes, I'm just not confident enough at this point to say how long this trail will take me.

Me, Hwilli and Ben did it last year in the fall. It rained a ton before we went and while we were there. I DO NOT recomend this trail if it has been raining, if it's been raining enough it will be a gigantic swamp. There are better places to go if it's been raining.

As far as extra water, I didn't think elevation change was too horrible. What other trails of this length have you done so far? Maybe one of us will have done both this and another trail you've done and we can give you a good comparison.

There is some 'difficult' obstacles. A few creek creek crossings, but you can mostly get through those without getting wet if you want. Keep in mind this was in the fall, even though it had rained a lot lately I think the creeks were relatively dry from the summer. IIRC there were a few dry beds we went across... but maybe I'm mixing up trails. A few places where you have to go up or down drops that are a few feet, maybe 3-4 feet. There are a ton of places where trees have fallen and not been removed. Sometimes you can just climb over or under them, but sometimes they are big enough you have to go around them. Look for the easy way around, there is usually a path around, but it's not always so obvious. A few of these places are a little hairy, one where you could fall down a ravine scrambling over trees. There is overgrown brush in quite a few places... not a huge deal unless it has rained and then it will make you soaked at least up to your waist.

There are places where I probably would have gotten slightly lost if it weren't for Howard having already hiked this trail and getting lost the first time. There are places where the trial goes onto the roads, or old logging roads where it's not obvious where it picks back up. If you've been to Zaleski for example, it is much better marked, but a much more difficult trail from a distance and elevation standpoint.

None of these are huge detractors, and I think make the trail fun, but just want you to be aware that it's not just a flat hiking trail. Where you aren't scrambling up or around obstacles or bogging through mud, it's a pretty nice trail and not very rooty or rocky.

IIRC most of the water you will come near is stagnant. For few day hikes I like to carry all of my water anyways and just carry tabs for a backup. I think I took my typical 5L of water for cooking+drinking and had leftovers. Keep in mind that it was pretty cold and we didn't really cook food the last day due to miserable cold rain and wanting to just get the fuck out of there.

Something we meant to do last time and forgot, but will definitely do next time; stash water, some beers and DRY wood at a camp site. There are campsites all over the place and some of them are near 'roads'. There are, from what we could tell pretty well maintained gravel/fire roads that run all over. If you could figure out where one goes next to a camp site that's about half way through you could stash your evening & 2nd day water supply there. Then you would only have to carry 1-2L of water/day. In case you weren't aware, water is heavy. :gabe:

We stayed at a site that was probably 8-9 miles in, if you are going CCW, that we would all highly recommend. Lots of evergreens for cover and there are pine needles all over the ground. Makes for a super comfy sleeping surface. It is right next to an access road... or there was one just a few hundred yards up, I can't remember exactly, but there was one close. Sorry, I should have grabbed the GPS coordinates but forgot to fire it up while we were there. I think we figured out it was near T-456 where the trail starts heading straight south. http://www.heartofhocking.com/Wildcat.pdf

Other than it being cold and wet, I think we all enjoyed it and will definitely go back again sometime when it's dry.

Don't forget the fallen trees. Holy crap. But yeah, it was a blast. Will definitely do it again.

I guess it isn't a rush, 2.6mph. I'm planning on 2mph and arriving late morning. We'll see how it goes, I'm just not confident enough at this point to say how long this trail will take me.

Typical is supposed to be 2mph on flat, add 1 hour for ever 1kft of elevation gain. Obviously a ton of other factors can effect, heat, fitness level, how much gear you are carrying, etc. Info out there for Wildcat says 8-10 hours, that's probably about right if you have a back full of gear.

Gabe is clearly super human.... :p

Are you planning to do this in 1 day or camping overnight?

Fwiw, most appalachian trail hikers move like 20 miles per day.

I don't know where you read that, most average AT hikers move at 10-15 miles a day. Most will have some 20 mile days, but not a ton of people average that high.

• 2 weeks later...
Me and some buddies are talking about doing Zaleski sometime this spring. We are just going to do the 10 mile backpack trail. this will be my first time hiking/camping. any pointers for a rookie?

dont wear sketchers shape ups, 10 miles isnt crap, so pack light. i would take probably a camelbak 100oz with assorted foods inside (clif bars, etc)

Me and some buddies are talking about doing Zaleski sometime this spring. We are just going to do the 10 mile backpack trail. this will be my first time hiking/camping. any pointers for a rookie?

Make sure your boots are properly broken in and fit right. Also, check and recheck whatever gear you're bringing.

Boots: I've had these boots for years and worn them for more 10 mile walking days than I can count. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they decided to slide around on me during the hike and no amount of force applied to the laces would keep my toes from moving. I'm hobbling around right now due to the massive blisters I got out there.

Gear: As I hoisted my pack from the trunk and got it set, the buckle on my hipbelt snapped in half. For some reason, knots don't hold position as well as buckles. Consequently, my shoulders and back are sore from having to support more of the weight than my hips.

This may sound a little ridiculous, but do you guys have any good boot recommendations? I've always been a tennis shoes kind of guy, and haven't had a pair of boots since I was a little kid and my parents got them for me. I'm looking for something that I could wear most days if I wanted, or do some light/beginner hiking.