Project M35A2 Duece and a half

Tractor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it off a guy in worthington, has been on craigslist for awhile. You can try govliquidation.com but its so annoying to go through all the paper work to get it released and an SF97 form so that you can get a title. It sounds like there has been some serious bidding going on to get the good ones that are left.

I removed the hard top last night and began sanding away the paint. Its in pretty good condition except for the front drip edge. Its pretty rusted and thin. I wish I was a fiberglass wizard, I'd just make a new top for it because this thing is heavy.

Tractor, this is a VERY cool project. Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now. There is so much history to the M35. I would actually love to get a M939 5ton. Have a different diesel build to do first though.

Great buy. I will follow this thread.

I've read that the turbo is about 6-10 lbs of boost and really help more with reducing smoke than adding power.

I plan to add an electric winch, probably a warn 18,000lb 24v model and down the road I'm going to put an air locker in each axle.

I'm also going to be building a waste motor oil purification system in my barn which will allow me to use the oil to run the truck. I'll also build a few simple devices to measure the viscosity and BTU's of the fuel so I can get it just right. Then maybe I'll be able to afford to drive it.

This is the one that was always sitting down at Firestone there on High street just south of old worthington? We have a '51 M37 sitting at the shop that I am rebuilding for another guy that lives in old worthington. Not the same guy you bought this from or anything, just funny.

Looks like fun. Yes, they are a handful to drive.

Awesome truck! Would love to see it in person sometime.

Was it difficult getting it registered for the street? How do you insure that monster?

I'll bring it out sometime for sure. Its easy to get them registered, they are just trucks under 26,000lbs in Ohio so no CDL or commercial truck paper work to deal with. Also on my title at least its make is "Jeep" and body type is "TK" or truck. So as far as they know its a 1965 jeep.

I'm checking on insurance options at this time and have a call in to my Grange agent about it. I'll likely just have Historic Plates on it and get a type of antique insurance though I might try to make it considered an RV so that I could get AAA RV coverage because towing this thing home would redefine expensive if the need ever came up.

I'm checking on insurance options at this time and have a call in to my Grange agent about it. I'll likely just have Historic Plates on it and get a type of antique insurance though I might try to make it considered an RV so that I could get AAA RV coverage because towing this thing home would redefine expensive if the need ever came up.

do you use Trimble's in Delaware?

Today one of the guys on steelsoldiers.com ran the serial numbers on my truck and found that it was most recently with the Iowa National Guard. Probably from 1980 to 2008 when it was auctioned. It was with the 185th Corps Support Battalion Headquaters Detachment.

I did a bit of work to it over the past few days. Finished putting primer on the hard top and am waiting for the paint to arrive. I removed the rear piece of the hard top tonight and will start sanding asap. Also lubed a bunch of mechanical things that didn't move well and cleaned the cab with an air hose and found lots of sand, especially in the tool box and battery box areas.

I suck at bothering to take photos while I work on a project so no pics, but image a bunch of parts all over my garage in various stages of complete from being stripped to completed.

Now the entire upper portion of the cab has been removed and I tore down the windshield assembly for repairing and painting. If all goes well I'll have the cab back together in a week or two. The hard part at this point is going to be replacing the windshield glass. I did manage to break the screws holding the windshield latches (yeah the windshield can fold out) so I'll have to find someone to tack weld them back on. I only have my other trucks onboard stick welder and no where near enough skill to weld to that thin metal.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished painting numbers and other markings on her today. Now I'm waiting on the new windshield glass to arrive then I can start doing fun mods like installing lockers in the diffs and getting cargo cover bows that are in better shape or making new ones.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/M35A2/IMG_6340.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/M35A2/IMG_6341.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/M35A2/IMG_6343.jpg

Edited by Tractor

You should check out the guy at the northeast corner of 40 and 42 just north of London Oh. From the street you can see quite a few of these things but from the google earth view it looks like he may have close to 50 of them just sitting around. I have no idea what he does with them but he's had them for years.

You should check out the guy at the northeast corner of 40 and 42 just north of London Oh. From the street you can see quite a few of these things but from the google earth view it looks like he may have close to 50 of them just sitting around. I have no idea what he does with them but he's had them for years.

Wow. You're not kidding. That only took me 2 minutes to find on Google.

Unless he's restoring or selling...that many military vehicles is nature's way of saying "STAY AWAY FROM ME...I AM DANGEROUS". :eek:

Lol, yeah thats Earl I believe. I've driven by there a few times in my work. He is into fixing up and selling them and I hear he's a good guy to deal with and reasonable prices.

Last night I took the instrument panel off and checked out everything. The previous owner wired the batteries wrong and blew up a bunch of gauges. He replaced everything except for the oil pressure gauge so I was checking that out along with an intermittent fuel gauge problem which I found to be the grounding and fixed it.

Oil pressure gauge must have literally caught fire so its bad and I think the sending unit is also bad since I'm not getting any signals from it as well. Might just install a mechanical oil gauge since I'd rather get real data anyway.