Should I buy a sailboat?

Gergwheel1647545492

I really want to learn to sail, my buddy has a sailboat up on the lake and I have been on it a few times and its a blast. I would love to buy a hobie cat 14 or 16 and learn on Hoover resivoir. I have found a couple nice ones for about a grand and i think that is about the max i would be willing to spend on another boat right now.

I would, it's a lot of fun. I grew up sailing, much of the time at the Hoover Yacht Club. If you can do a little work yourself (i.e., rigging), you can pick up a nice boat for a lot cheaper than a grand.

Also grew up sailing. It is a real blast. With the economy I would assume you can pick one up on the cheap, but just like all boats they are expensive to maintain.

We started out on St. Mary's and then graduated to lake Erie. It might me worth it to look into a boat club where you pay an annual fee and just use their boats while they maintain them... Might be cheaper in the long run instead of buy a boat, $ to maintain, store and $ for a slip if you decide your not that into it in a few years.

all though a boat club in central ohio :dumb:

I would stick with your buddy and see if you can use his for the season.

I grew up sailing and giving sailing lessons. If you are looking for a cat get a Nacra. I actually miss sailing and find myself stopping and watching the sailboats racing on Wednesday at Alumn when I'm out there on my ski.

http://www.multihull.ca/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1164&g2_serialNumber=2

Sailing can be both relaxing and exciting depending on the wind. If it wasn't windy, I would not go out on the water.

If you get a sailboat make sure you get one that actually sails well. There are a lot of boats out there that don't handle well and can't really turn with just the main up.

more details? like what kind of boats are bad? Obviously i want a cat, does that fall into this non-turning category?

do you have any details on joining there? have you been a member there before?

i stopped by once during an open house a few years back, was going to join but then didn't. i wanted a cat too but they said they don't sail them there. doesn't mean you can't just launch from a public dock.

sailboat fags are absolute dicks on Erie

that's about all i know of this subject

/me talking

you mad cuz they have the right of way.

I took some sailing lessons years ago. Flipped the boat out in the middle of alum creek. luckily it wasnt a big boat and was able to get it upright with a few bodies. id love to sail across lake erie.

you mad cuz they have the right of way.

I took some sailing lessons years ago. Flipped the boat out in the middle of alum creek. luckily it wasnt a big boat and was able to get it upright with a few bodies. id love to sail across lake erie.

you mad cuz you get pissed off when i create wakes and shake your little hippie boat :fuckyeah:

...you mad...

greg get rid of the old boat and get a new one with a big block and do work

you are the dumbest person i know.... i want to get rid of my old one, but that is cause i don't want/use a boat enough to justify having one, but if i could sail on hoover that would be super close and i could go and do that after work.

you are the dumbest person i know.... i want to get rid of my old one, but that is cause i don't want/use a boat enough to justify having one, but if i could sail on hoover that would be super close and i could go and do that after work.

your probably right.

meh wind power, good oll fashion gas hp power booyahhhh