Grand Prix the killer years on now

Sturg1647545502

I watched it on Discovery HD last night, that show was really good! The fact that they had Jackie Stewart for interview was cool.

I have always asserted that the best F1 drivers in the world were from that era. Drivers like Stewart, Jimmy Clark, Dan Gurney, etc... They had more balls to race back then than anyone now. They even mentioned the same thing on the show that I have said for years, that racing back then was as much about your mental ability/endurance as your driving ability.

that racing back then was as much about your mental ability/endurance as your driving ability.

Yeah, it's a vastly different sport than it used to be. I'm more entertained by old-ass racing footage than new stuff.

Yeah they had big balls, but they didn't LIKE racing like that. The driver's organization was the main force behind making tracks and cars safer. It may have take a different breed of man to race back then, but those men would still rather race on today's tracks with today's cars and safety equipment.

The boycott they went over in the show wasn't the only time the drivers refused to race.

Who's to say that today's drivers wouldn't and can't do what they did back then?

Today's drivers are more athletes than what those weekend racers were. Would they even be able to fit their beer guts in a F1 cockpit today?

:dumb:

I do think thought that with the cars being manual transmissions back then it definitely tested your skills even more. Hamilton even said that he couldn't imagine going into a turn with just one hand on the wheel when he drove Senna's old car.

Who's to say that today's drivers wouldn't and can't do what they did back then?

Today's drivers are more athletes than what those weekend racers were. Would they even be able to fit their beer guts in a F1 cockpit today?

:dumb:

I do think thought that with the cars being manual transmissions back then it definitely tested your skills even more. Hamilton even said that he couldn't imagine going into a turn with just one hand on the wheel when he drove Senna's old car.

The safety regulations they help get put in allowed for today's cars that push the limits of both physics and the drivers physical ability.

You can work out and grow muscle. Todays driver pushes the limits on testing tracks and areolabs with all the advances of modern safety. The guys of yesteryear did all that and more with out any safety nets or prior lab testing.

You can't grow grit and balls.