Ignition or fuel?

jeffro

My dads 95 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 has had issues ever since he got it. He kindly asked me to ask the masses, so here i am.

Sometimes when you go to start it, it will sound like its running but when you press the gas it wont do anything, or it will die.

Other times when you start it, it will barely run, sputter, sound like its running on 4 cylinders, and eventually die.

Usually on the third or fourth try it will fire up normally. Sometimes, however it will start just fine on the first try.

Weve checked the butterfly to make sure its opening properly. Replaced the IAC valve, and even added dry gas thinking there could be water in the system. Could there be a problem with the ignition/timing or is there still water in the fuel?

TIA.

With little to go on - like is this only first start after sitting a long time (hours)? Is it better after only sitting a short time? Runs well once it gets going?

My "guess" as to something to look at that is often overlooked - fuel pressure regulator. There is a vaccum hose to it, pull it and see if it's wet with fuel, or if you can smell fuel in the hose. When the diaphram fails they leak internally and will not hold pressure in the fuel rail. Or, put a good fuel pressure gauge on it and let it sit (overnight) and see if the pressure falls off.

really hard to tell, you need to start eliminating stuff. What does the ignition components look like? Old and worn, or decent and clean. I thought some of those had issues with cylinder heads, but I could be wrong. It really doesn't sound like any major fuel components since they typically wouldn't run great either, it kind of sounds like something is bleeding off fuel pressure which I think is where Craig was coming from. Using a fuel pressure gauge to see how fast fuel pressure drops off and comes back after shut down and upon starting might be a good test to do and see how that goes.

It does this regardless of how short or how long it sits. Once it gets going it sounds like it has a slight miss when accelerating.

OK, less likely to be the fuel pressure regulator unless it's really blown-you would be able to see/smeel fuel in the vacuum hose for sure.

Scott's on the right track - do the cheap maintenance stuff first, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, PCV VALVE (often forgotten and can leak "unmetered" air), FUEL FILTER (partially plugged if never changed). If all this is good, then start to dig into the other stuff - pressure regulator, pickups/distributors, modules, injectors (leaking down), etc.