Job Experience

Sully

How are you suppose to get supervisor or manager experience if no one will give you a chance? Looking through jobs, I see one that I'm very interested in, but then at the bottom it will say something to the effect of "Required: 5+ years management experience". WTF?? :fuuuu:

Where I'm at, it's a dead-end job, so there's no chance of getting any of that experience here. :fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu:

I've been at a few crappy small businesses where just about anyone with half a brain can oversee those with only a quarter of a brain. Of course the small places don't usually pay well or have benefits. Go get a job at chick fil-a or canes as a shift supervisor then give me free food out of appreciation. Deal?

At one point, everyone has been a novice. I've had about 10 years in IT, and found taking lead roles and team leads prepares you for management/supervisor type positions. With the proper paper requirements and your roles (outside of just a job title) a company will bump you into the role.

Guest CARkid
Go to a bigger company. When you interview express interest in moving up. Bust your ass for a few months and the opportunities will come. Once they come keep busting your ass and build strong relationships with your bosses and you will keep moving up.

+1

I felt the same way about getting into sales, but I kept pushing for it and finally got an opportunity.

You can still get the job without the experience in some cases. A lot of jobs put that in there to narrow down the field. The right person for the job is sometimes the person that lacks experience because they are easier to mold. Apply anyway, its an automatic no if you dont try... what do you have to lose

Its pretty simple, find a project that needs done. Take the initiative on getting it done, if you need additional resources you put a plan together that shows what needs done, what you need to get it done, and get it done. If you are a leader you will achieve the goal and Management will see that.

You can still get the job without the experience in some cases. A lot of jobs put that in there to narrow down the field. The right person for the job is sometimes the person that lacks experience because they are easier to mold. Apply anyway, its an automatic no if you dont try... what do you have to lose

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" Wayne Gretzky