Bad ground?

zeitgeist57

Lengthy read below, so I have all the info...

1982 Ford, reinstalling engine, transmission, all accessories. Older battery, tested good and charged at Advance Auto. All new cap/rotors/wires/spark plug. New Starter motor, starter solenoid. Alternator tested good. Heavy duty ground from (-)batt to Starter motor bolt/bellhousing, smaller ground from firewall to engine block.

Crank over engine, and it keeps cranking and cranking. Pull spark plug wire, SMALL spark spits out then nothing. Turn off, repeat...still single small spark then nothing. Crank for awhile...battery starts going dead.

Pull up Passat, jumper cables to from running Passat to battery in Ford. Start cranking, but nothing catching. Turn off key...ENGINE STILL CRANKING. Run out and yank off jumper cables. STARTER MOTOR STILL CRANKING. SOMETHING BURNING? Starter motor quickly acts like battery is dead, slows after a couple of cranks and dies. Battery terminals are HOT to the touch. (+)lead to starter solenoid very hot. Starter motor is not.

sadface. :(

Could it be a bad battery? I've rewired and regrounded according to the way it was wired before. Could it be the starter, alternator? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah if you let off the key, and the starter is still going the solenoid is going to be the issue. As far as the ignition switch goes, I would look at the actuator from the cylinder down to the actual connection point at the bottom of the column.

I've rewired and regrounded according to the way it was wired before.

Did you replace everything with identical gauge cable?

Have you checked for fuel @ the carb? Manually adding fuel?

Briefly try and start it again see if it will turn over.