Electric/Battery Problem?

thegame

So I installed some HID's recently. Went for a short ride uptown to put some air in my tires. Turned the bike off. Filled them up. Went to start it up and I couldnt get it to start. Had to do the running start clutch maneuver. Cant remember for sure, but I believe the whole time I was out when I hit my blinker it either didnt come on, or ran for like 2 seconds and shut off. Also noticed when I hit my blinker, my high beam went off then came back on. I do run my high beams all the time.

So what do I need to fix?

you have a manual for your bike? I would start testing the charging system, and if its 100% okay, then its probably your battery

if both of those fail, (then it really sucks because) its wiring. A short somewhere or a faulty switch? Make sure you didn't pinch any wires while you were putting it back together.. but I'm leaning towards the charging system

If it kept running when you push started it, your charging system is probably fine. Probably your battery. Test voltage and amperage on the disconnected battery and while running. How did you wire your HIDs? Do you use the factory switch or at least some kind of switch so the lights dont stay on all the time?

it kept running once i push started it. i used the factory switch. down for low (1 bulb), up for highs (both bulbs). they dont stay on after i turn the bike off if thats what you mean. the only wires i used from the stock setup are the power and ground wires. the hid's have their own connection to the ballasts.

ok... got a voltmeter. heres whats goin on....

battery hooked up in bike - 12.6

battery out of bike - 12.6

unbolted the negative cable and tested negative cable to negative terminal - -10 flickering

negative cable as above and positive terminal - beeped. guessing that means 0

battery in bike running with low beam - 13.3-13.6

same as above but with high beam - dropped to 11.9

battery in bike running low beam reving to 5000 rpm - 14.7

same as above with high beam - 14.4

help! what does this mean?

charging system is fine... must be the battery...

edit: wait a min..

unbolted the negative cable and tested negative cable to negative terminal - -10 flickering
should he be losing 2.6V through the harness? what are typical drops through the harness? if no one else knows I can get back to you tonight after I test it on my bike Edited by wrillo

charging system is fine... must be the battery...

edit: wait a min..

should he be losing 2.6V through the harness? what are typical drops through the harness? if no one else knows I can get back to you tonight after I test it on my bike

checked it again. that was with the negative tester on the negative cable and positive tester on negative terminal -10. doing it the same way but switched the tester to the red on the cable and black on the negative terminal it was 10.

So is it starting on its own now or did you push start it to get the voltages? If it still isn't starting, switch out with a known good battery from a friend and see if it works. Is this the first time you've ridden it since it was put away for winter? If so, the short ride just might not have been enough to charge the battery. In that case, charge up the battery and try it. I wouldn't be worried about the voltage drop between the cable and the terminal. I would test current this way, but not voltage. Was the bike in the ON position (not running but lights and things were on) when you did that test?

Get a new battery.

Edited by justin0469

So is it starting on its own now or did you push start it to get the voltages? If it still isn't starting, switch out with a known good battery from a friend and see if it works. Is this the first time you've ridden it since it was put away for winter? If so, the short ride just might not have been enough to charge the battery. In that case, charge up the battery and try it. I wouldn't be worried about the voltage drop between the cable and the terminal. I would test current this way, but not voltage. Was the bike in the ON position (not running but lights and things were on) when you did that test?

Get a new battery.

it started on its own. this isnt the first time ive rode it since winter. no, the lights werent on when i did it unless stated. was off.