Lettuce tawk Exhaust Flexpipes

zeitgeist57

My Passat had a leaky flexpipe on the pass side exhaust (V6, longitudinalallityally-mounted) which I had replaced. Now, the drivers' side is leaking, and the weld on the pass side developed a hole. :fuuuu:

I know the flex pipes absorb engine vibrations to prevent them from being transmitted into the cabin. I'd rather have a little more shake, than reduced power, noise, and CELs from O2 sensors trying to find out where the fkk all the exhaust gases are going.

Is it a bad idea to replace flexpipes with straight pipes? Car is a 135k mile '00 Passat stick shift. Next up after the exhaust leak is a full front suspension rebuild using a new set of new control arms. Going to keep this car forever...

EDIT: This isn't really a "tech question", more "have you had experience in a car where the flex pipes have been eliminated?" :gabe:

Mad hatter $89 for new flex pipe...take them about 20 minutes to fix the thing too. Just had my 1.8 T A4 flex pipe replaced there yesterday. I'd think straight pipe in it's place would cause more issues than save headaches.

I see them as wear items. Just plan on replacing every couple of years. I drag mine across speed bumps with the winter tires on the car and don't expect to get any more than 2 years out one before it needs to be replaced.

I've got my buddies' Lincoln Electric SP175...after filling some mirror holes on the Ford I wanted to tackle the exhaust next...

Just go easy with light heat, exhaust burns through really easily.

I suggest leaving the flex pipe in it as well.