Audi rs4

Buteo

Looking at trading my Cadillac in for an rs4 in a few short days. I know lots of guys dig Audi in here...tell me some things I should be looking for or concerned with.

Car is a 2007 with 45k miles. It's in the blue.

Thanks!

1. Carbon buildup (huge problem with this car, needs cleaned already and needs it regularly)

They get down to high 200's at the wheels when dirty and back up into 320+ when cleaned.

2. Increasing cases of leaky injectors needing replaced.

3. Getting violated by S4's left and right.

Any concerns with clutch or tranny?

Generally solid until you decide to drag race it. Like many stock SAC clutches, they hold up for a few passes, but don't like abuse in the 1/4 mile.

The upside is that JHM is big into RS4's and make quite a few more ponies with bolt on's.

1. Carbon buildup (huge problem with this car, needs cleaned already and needs it regularly)

They get down to high 200's at the wheels when dirty and back up into 320+ when cleaned.

I really know nothing about Audi's but what Jones said is exactly why my ENT Doc. bailed on his. Ironically, it was blue too. Office was at Riverside if you saw one around there.

Power was great but then it would fall on it's face and he had to bring it in for service. Said it was way too often for him to consider keeping it.

That's all I know, except that he's a great doc.

Yup,

They need cleaned at least every 10K miles.

There have been multiple owners who have dyno'd before and after the cleanings, Huge difference. Car's in good health will begin to scream between 6000-8300rpm's. When they get all carbon'd up it will pull, but not with increased "zest" in that range.

If the car doesn't appear to suddenly go apeshit up top, then it's probably way overdue for a cleaning.

Sounds like you're trading in a well-running dd, for a basket case. Who the fuck makes a car where it's required to pull the god damned valve covers to clean off carbon buildup every 10k miles?

Audi/VW pretty much pioneered direct injection in daily driven engines. These first gen engines are prone to carbon, 3.1 V6 and 4.2 V8 in RS4 are the worst. No gas gets sprayed on the valves, as it is sprayed directly in the combustion chamber.

A lot of the guys who came "late" to the DI party, have figured out valve timing a bit better, and some have even added an additional injector up top to spray fuel directly on the valves. This seems to do wonders, as most other DI engines do not have carbon build up. Others do, but not many.

The "second gen" Audi/VW engines have since cured this issue.

The only thing that prevents carbon build up is a HEAVY foot. I have 60k and no issues, Jones has over 120k and hasn't had any issues either.

I agree though, no way I would buy a 40k 4 or 5 year old car that needs something like that every 10k. It should be noted, it will still drive fine, but the power will just slowly taper off. Most owners probably have never noticed.

Besides the look and sound, the B8 S4 made pretty much all sporting A/S/RS4 cars and A/S/RS5 cars irrelevant with the 3.0T.

For one, its Auto only, if that is a concern of his.

I know the ISF has a BIG mid cycle refresh of its trans and suspension. It made it go from a great engine to a great sport sedan.

I personally don't like the exhaust tips, but they are unique. Bad ass car though.

The B8 S4 is a great car. Blown 6 cyl is the way to go.

How much was the RS4? I've seen them in the $40k-50k range and that is way too much for a car with an exterior/interior design that dates back to 2002 - it looks really dated and the interior looks like an A4 from the 90's.

For my money I'd get the e90/92 M3, equally potent, high-revving V8 and similar in price.