Building a PC vs Laptop

wagner

I am looking to get a new computer that will be used to edit video and photos on. If I get a desktop would it be cheaper/better to custom build one? Will I get the same features as an equally priced laptop?

I did some research online, but would rather have the direct interaction that CR has to offer.

In follow up to our talk at C&C. Build a desktop. I built one more than capable for the same use last February for $1,150. Since I've added another 2tb drive and a BluRay Burner. Way less expensive than buying and the components are by far better.

More bang for your buck if you build a desktop rather than buy. Plus you can spend money on areas most important to you.

Absolutely not true. It USED to be, but not anymore. I just built a system for one of my professors. I told him it was more cost efficient to buy a pre built system, but he didn't want to listen. Could have saved him nearly a hundred fifty bucks on a 800 dollar machine.

The only way ill go pc is if i build it. Just so i get high end parts where it counts. These prebuilt lappys and desktops have junk equipment unless you spend a lot, but then youre at the cost of just building it yourself and you have more options if you do so.

Other than that...mac. Also, get an SSD drive. Youll thank yourself later when everything takes seconds to open.

I'm torn on this one. I typically build my own, but normally recommend to people to buy. For me it's about being able to select each individual component, but that normally doesn't matter to most people. The drawbacks to building are that you do not get an OS or any other software to go with it. If you are planning on pirating then that's probably not an issue, but by the time you buy the OS whatever you saved on hardware is probably gone. The other issue is warranty work. If you build, you get a warranty on the individual components, but it's up to you to diagnose the problem and pay for shipping to send the component back. This can take a couple of weeks, during which you are dead in the water. If you buy an OEM system then any problems are theirs, not yours.

These days prices are pretty low for the hardware. I don't think you save much by building. If it were me I would take a look at what editing software you want to use and pick a system from that. Of course you don't want the minimums, but that would be a good way to make sure the system fits what you want it to do.

As for a desktop vs. a laptop .... I go with a desktop for anything I don't absolutely need portability for. With a desktop you have a LOT more video and display options (multiple monitors, different monitor sizes and resolutions, etc...) Laptops are great for day to day stuff (email, research, etc...) but a desktop is what I choose when I need to get stuff done.

If you want to build hit me up, I've built more systems than I can count between my personal systems and custom builds for school. For that matter I'd be happy to help pick out a system or just talk options.

I can get the OS on the cheap, have the video software, and can get a copy of photochop I think.

Ok, I am sold on building a system. Now, budget wise I am looking at around $800ish, will that be enough for a soild performer?

I can get the OS on the cheap, have the video software, and can get a copy of photochop I think.

Ok, I am sold on building a system. Now, budget wise I am looking at around $800ish, will that be enough for a soild performer?

Yup.

i5-2500k @ microcenter cheap

Get a quality motherboard, it makes a good difference.

ram you can get 8gb for $45 on sale

Get a 128gb SSD for a boot disk, since HDD prices are fucked right now anyways

blahblahblah

More bang for your buck if you build a desktop rather than buy. Plus you can spend money on areas most important to you.

pc by far.. 100% upgradable in the future.

You can only add a couple sticks of ram to most laptops then sell it to some desperate college kid for $100 in a couple years.

These ^

Wait till microcenter has their 2600k on sale again for $200 and bundle it with a mobo. Load it with ram (16gb+) and a good HDD and you'll be set.

When you encode, thats all processor. So the better the proc, the faster it is. And thr speed of the hdd

WRONG

Both Premeier and photoshop support gpu acceleration

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cs5/gpuaccelerated-effect-performance-enhancements/

Here a list of the gpus that work in premier and photoshop

WRONG

Both Premeier and photoshop support gpu acceleration

^^ This. Ask me how I know :gabe:

In terms of Photoshop, CS5 or better which is what you'll likely get a copy of :whistle: will make great use of the multicore processor too. Photoshop responds great to 12-16gb of memory. I upped mine from 12-16 recently just because it was cheap. Although even working with my 21mp HDR images I have yet to even coming close to making out the memory or processing power.

Rendering movies is very intesive and it only then rendering a BluRay or copying one that my cores go full tilt and kick the fans up a notch. Even still temps are well within check thanks to the 6 fans I have keeping her cool. Picking a well designed case is key.

I didn't know you encode still photos. GRATE. DERPP

Now you do.

You run any adjustment layer or filter you want on video inside CS3 or higher. I often do this and yes, my videos often times have still images in them. They make for great transition pieces. Herp da derp