How much BF is overweight?

verse

I've lost 43lbs in the last 6 months. I'm 6'2" and weighed 287lbs, now I'm down to 244lbs.

I've been taking SES classes at CSCC and had a full test done on me back in November when I was 273lbs. It showed my lean body mass at 195.7lbs and body fat at 28.3%. If I go by those numbers now, I'm just at 20% BF currently. Everywhere I read says 20% is about average, now I want to be down in the 215-220 range, which according to my lean mass would put me around 10% BF. Do these numbers seem right?

Just some background, I'm a pretty big guy, always been athletic growing up and pretty strong, but does 195 lean mass seem right? If I put my information into a BMI calculator, it says healthy weight would be under 195lbs. I used to be around 210 out of high school and I was pretty fit at that point. I don't see how I could ever get under 200lbs.

I know there are some knowledgeable trainers on here, just wanted everyone's opinion.

First off, congrats on the weight loss. :cool:

Depending on age, the average is around 20%, give or take. And BMI is crock of shit if you're any kind of athlete, weight lifter, or the like. I'm not saying you're there now, but BMI is more or less setup for people that do nothing at all. According to BMI, at 5'8" and 180 pounds, I'm overweight. Yet last time I had a body fat % done, I was the 12% range... :lol:

Thanks. I really contribute it all to ice hockey and loseit.com's app. I've been playing 2-3 times a week since I started back in December and just watching my calories coming in. I've gotten so much faster and better as the weigh came down. I've been playing pretty much every Saturday night in Herman's class and he has commented the last 2 weeks how he would never been able to tell it was me from when I started playing. I think I'm going to stick with E league for another session or 2 though and then move up.

Thanks. I really contribute it all to ice hockey and loseit.com's app. I've been playing 2-3 times a week since I started back in December and just watching my calories coming in. I've gotten so much faster and better as the weigh came down. I've been playing pretty much every Saturday night in Herman's class and he has commented the last 2 weeks how he would never been able to tell it was me from when I started playing. I think I'm going to stick with E league for another session or 2 though and then move up.

Nice! What's funny is that when I was overweight (I'm down 80+ pounds), I was still playing ice hockey. It wasn't doing much for keeping my weight down. My body was just "used to it". For me, it didn't start until I changed what I ate and hit the gym with regularity and really pushed myself. A total "life style change." Then the pounds came off. As I like to say now, "I go to the gym to stay in shape for hockey, not the other way around..." :)

And BMI is crock of shit if you're any kind of athlete, weight lifter, or the like. I'm not saying you're there now, but BMI is more or less setup for people that do nothing at all.

All of this, seconded.

Guest GMoney

Congrats on the weight loss.

I'm 5'11" and 155, Everyone calls me skinny. Im at about 5% body fat. I also play hockey 2-3 times a week and ride a bike another 40 miles a week. I quit caffeine and regular pop and dropped 5lbs in a week. Went from 160 to 155.

20-39 years old you should be 10-20%.

I'm 6'5'' and 170 lbs. It says I'm at 20%. I guess that's average.

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm trying to work out but I have to really minimize my workouts since I can't over-exert my ticker (thanks Marfan Syndrome)

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm trying to work out but I have to really minimize my workouts since I can't over-exert my ticker (thanks Marfan Syndrome)

6'5" and 170?? Forget working out, you need a date with a large pizza and a couch! :lolguy:

I'm 6'4" and 250, and I'm definitely overweight. I want to drop 50lbs but haven't found the will to get over the hump and into a better lifestyle.. :fuuuu:

EDIT: which looks like a really silly statement right above the quote in my sig. :(

Eat something

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj288/Dubs740/thumbnailCATHNOLW.jpg

3rd congrats on the weight loss and the bmi is crap.

The problem you have is you are guesstimating that all loss is equal.

Unless you've been lifting(sounds like you been doing lots of cardio and diet) you have loss fat and some muscle you you need to have yourself remeasured

I was 6'3" at 212 when I able to lift and the bmi said i was overweight at 26%.

Back in my 30s I 245 with ~6% body fat(measured)

Good luck again on getting in shape..the tough part is staying in shape

mace

Congrats on the weight loss.

I'm 5'11" and 155, Everyone calls me skinny. Im at about 5% body fat. I also play hockey 2-3 times a week and ride a bike another 40 miles a week. I quit caffeine and regular pop and dropped 5lbs in a week. Went from 160 to 155.

20-39 years old you should be 10-20%.

Time for a 40 mile ride in a day.

Depending on age, the average is around 20%, give or take. And BMI is crock of shit if you're any kind of athlete, weight lifter, or the like. I'm not saying you're there now, but BMI is more or less setup for people that do nothing at all. According to BMI, at 5'8" and 180 pounds, I'm overweight. Yet last time I had a body fat % done, I was the 12% range... :lol:

+ a lot

people always under estimate their body fat, cause most tests arent very accurate,

when i was about 14% you could still see my abs i was calculated at 9%, i told them they were a bit low.

at work we had it done when i was about 11% and they had me at 16%, told them they were a bit high...

if you cant see the horizontal lines in your abs, then your 15% or higher

if you cant see your abs when your unflexed your over 10%

3rd congrats on the weight loss and the bmi is crap.

The problem you have is you are guesstimating that all loss is equal.

Unless you've been lifting(sounds like you been doing lots of cardio and diet) you have loss fat and some muscle you you need to have yourself remeasured

I was 6'3" at 212 when I able to lift and the bmi said i was overweight at 26%.

Back in my 30s I 245 with ~6% body fat(measured)

Good luck again on getting in shape..the tough part is staying in shape

mace

Even when I was lifting I lost a significant amount of muscle with the fat, I think it can be as much as 50/50. I was surprised with my before/after calculations as well.