can i skip registration on a vehicle not used or running?

evan9381

My explorer has a cracked radiator. Due to being too lazy to fix it, i have not moved it in 6 months, yet im still paying insurance on it, etc. My birthday is in june. if i havent gotten rid of it by then, can i put it in my garage and not renew the registration until i fix it and decide to drive it again, or am able to sell it? Then can i drop the insurance on it if its not going to be on the road?

If it's not on the road you should talk to your agent about dropping liability and some other coverage. You don't need to register it if you're not driving it, but if/when you go to re-register you will pay a fee for not renewing within a certain time of expiration.

Sometimes you'll get pulled for a random "registration" inspection. I got the notice in my mail once about it. I don't remember what it said, but I didn't have to deal with it since I was up to date. It was on my 4x4 which sometimes isn't current. My sister also got a notice within about the same time period on a car she always drives so IDK.

Sometimes you'll get pulled for a random "registration" inspection. I got the notice in my mail once about it. I don't remember what it said, but I didn't have to deal with it since I was up to date. It was on my 4x4 which sometimes isn't current. My sister also got a notice within about the same time period on a car she always drives so IDK.

Are you sure this wasn't an insurance verification? Ohio randomly sends out mail to people who have a registered car asking to show proof of insurance for a certain timeframe. I've never heard of a random registration check though, I don't see why you HAVE to register a vehicle if you aren't using it. But if it's registered and you aren't using it, it's still safest to keep insurance on it because of these checks.

Only issue would be if the town you live in has ordinances against it, but if its in the garage it shouldn't be an issue

Yeap, I know in Gahanna, they have a city ordinance about cars having proper registration for cars that are in your own driveway. But as long as it is in a garage, I don't think there is much they can do if you don't register the car.

if no garage is available, i used to back the car up against something so you can't see the back plate (in my driveway though). at that point they can see the front plate and usually there is no bitching. some people/townships/citys/etc may get nosey and try to take a look if it hasn't moved in a while, but most places won't.

$20 late fee when you go to register it next time. If its going to be down a while, the $20 late fee would be cheaper than paying for tags for an unsued vehical. However, you can't park a vehical with expired tags on the street or in an Apartment complex parking lot (you can get a ticket/impounded). Put theft and fire insurance on it just incase the state decides to mail a letter wanting proof of insurance.