buying a gun on armslist

Ramsey

Off topic but I am surprised someone even contacted you. I have been trying for a month. Are you talking through email?

yeah, I get a reply almost every time. I noticed my phone email system doesnt properly reply to their replys and i have to copy and paste their email.

I have bought numerous and sold numerous guns on Glock Talk, ARFCOM, most FTF transactions and never once been IDed. I ususally do a bill of sale if the gun was purchased new or through a FFL. I don't think it's the standard to get copy of drivers license. I think the standard is what Scotty did, give money receive gun, that is what I do with firearms if I purchased them FTF with someone else.

I was told that with current gun sale laws, private seller to private buyer sales require you to know who that weapon was sold to at all times in case any issue comes up. I assume this wouldnt be as big an issue on a weapon where it would be hard to prove it was even registered to you but one that is, I want to know who I sold it to just in case.

There is no gun registration in Ohio, but firearms could be tracked from point of sale when the firearm is new by the information stored in the dealer's bound book. After that, there is no law requiring a paper trail and it's up to the individual to keep track of these things. Lot's of people don't.

A simple bill of sale is a good idea to protect both the buyer and seller. Most of these documents have a statement that says the buyer is not a felon and is legally allowed to own the firearm. When the buyer signs it, that provides some protection to the seller since the seller cannot knowingly sell to someone who is not allowed to own the firearm. Both the buyer and seller should check IDs to verify that the person matches the name on the bill of sale. If the buyer purchases a firearm that was used in a crime and the authorites come looking for it, it's good to have a document that says "I purchased the firearm from Joe Blow."

If it's a C&R firearm and the seller has an FFL03, he needs this information for his bound book. FFL03 holders (just like other FFL holders) have to maintain "bound books" to keep track of any firearms they disposition or acquire.

Sounds normal. I just do a bill of sale for when I buy and sell firearms. I keep a paper copy but I also take a picture with my phone and upload to google docs. That way I have an electric copy saved elsewhere.