Do I want Beats by Dre headphones?

Putty

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be giving a pair of Grados a try soon. Have heard good things and they're half the price of beats. Grado also seems to be a more true audiophile company.

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/grado-sr-60i.php

Grados are pretty damn amazing, probably the best pair of headphones I've ever experienced but they simply don't work for my day to day needs becasue they are all open air.

I need something that sounds awesome, I can listen to while sitting at my desk at work without disrupting others, I can wear while detailing to keep the buffer noise from makng my ears ring, etc. I'm pretty darn hard on headphones but don' mind spending some money to get some performance out of them.

My last pair was a pair of Sennheiser HD 428. I literlly just had them break on me this week after a couple years of hard use. I'm pretty pleased about that and tempted to go for another pair of Senn's. Problem wth the Sennheiser brand is they make a million different headphones, there's something for everyone's budget but the line is soo vast that it's hard to tell them apart sometimes. My personal opinion is you have to at least get into the HD 4xx series before they are even worth a damn though. I got in at the lower level of the 400 series and they were great for what I needed at only ~$80. I'm tempted to step up to something a little higher in their line this next go around.

As much as I'm not a huge fan of Bose, their standard Triport (over the ear not the buds) headphones are pretty good, maybe not $150 good and out of the box they requre some tuning with an EQ to really get rid of the bottom heavy setup, but once tuned in they provided good performance. The flip side of that is I had a pair of Bose ear buds once and they were honestly the worst pair of headphnes I've ever owned. Sound was HORRIBLE on those things and I mean horrible.

Maybe I'll give the Sony's a go this time to see what I think

Grados are very good headphones but they are sadly open deck so the audio will be heard by the people around you.

I highly suggest the Audio Technica ATH M50 head phones, This is what I ended up getting and every time I listen to music on them im super impressed.

Or Id also try a set of ultrasone HiFi 580's. Both are excellent headphones for cheaper pricing, I decided on the ATHM50 because it had better bass which fitted the music i listened to more, the hifi580s, have a much better mid tone however and are not as comfortable after a while.

Andy, what broke on your last pair of in-ears?

The co-worker who steered me towards the HiFi Man's (he has a set) also has a set of Shure SE215's, which is what he mostly uses. They, and I think the other (newer) Shure in-ears have detachable cords, I'm assuming so that if the cord breaks you can replace it. Though from the review that also seems like a drawback, and the cords are more likely to break due to the design. At least if it does, the cord is easily replaceable for about $30. Which is expensive for what it is if you ask me, but a lot less than replacing the phones.

There is a review of them in the thread I posted earlier.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-236-iems-compared-vsonic-gr06-gr01-added-04-19-12

Surprised no one mentioned SMS by 50.

They probably weren't mentioned for the same reason the Beats would never have been mentioned if someone just asked about headphones in general, NOT worth the price. I think the fact that Putty got a DOA set of $100 phones says a lot.

Andy, what broke on your last pair of in-ears?

It's almost always the cord for me. Between being shoved in my pocket all the time with the cord plugged into the device or getting tangle up in the buffer (oops!) I usually destroy the cords first. I've broken a coupe of pairs from throwing them around or what not but almost always it's the cord.

As inconvenient as they can be, I much prefer over the ear headphones to ear buds.

Reading up on the ATH-M50's posted above and they are pretty tempting. Around what I'd be willing to spend and I have yet to read a bad review on them. Those were not even on my radar so thank you for the suggestion.

Andy

The flip side of that is I had a pair of Bose ear buds once and they were honestly the worst pair of headphnes I've ever owned. Sound was HORRIBLE on those things and I mean horrible.

Which model did you have that sounded so bad out of curiosity?

The very first ear buds they releaed quite a few years back, They didn't have any ear clips like the newer Bose units I see and were meant to sit in your ear without being wedged in there like most ear buds. It could very well be that I could never get them to sit in my ear as desgned but no matter what ear piece I tried with them nor what orientation I wore them in I never cared for the sound quality at all.

...and forget working out in them they would never stay put.

http://www.digitallyapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bose_earbuds.png

It's almost always the cord for me. Between being shoved in my pocket all the time with the cord plugged into the device or getting tangle up in the buffer (oops!) I usually destroy the cords first. I've broken a coupe of pairs from throwing them around or what not but almost always it's the cord.

As inconvenient as they can be, I much prefer over the ear headphones to ear buds.

Reading up on the ATH-M50's posted above and they are pretty tempting. Around what I'd be willing to spend and I have yet to read a bad review on them. Those were not even on my radar so thank you for the suggestion.

Andy

Andy, I normally have my ath m50's on me in my car if you want to hear them when your at cars and coffee, I bought mine from a place in dublin called studio AMG,they may have some in stock still