Military Service

Yasser-Hanbali

Since most of us have been out, don't forget there are plans to move thing around as far as OSUT goes Tankers are suppose to be moving to benning perhaps maybe he is going to jackson with some new alignment to get these AIT classes to work together like they will when the deploy. 12b digging in 13b firebase. Clearing a path for the tanks and so on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(former) Air Force 10-years

1C1X1 Air Traffic Control

I could go on forever talking about it. Would do it over again in a heartbeat. Would change a few things but not much.

My biggest recommendation to anyone joining - "PICK A JOB THAT WILL GET YOU HIRED WHEN YOU GET OUT!"

I've seen to many people get into jobs, not careers that get them no where when they get out. Get something you can use, apply, and run with when you have to go to plan B, F, X, whatever....think, plan and look long term but always have multiple backups. The only thing that is certain is change (besides the hurry up and wait)..

Whatever, you do SIGN UP FOR THE GI BILL!! Even if you don't use it, your spouse, kids, family, etc. may be able to use it down the road. Or if you decide in 5 or 10 years to go back to school and get a Masters, whatever. It costs little and the payback is unbeatable...

After basic, call USAA and get setup with a checking/savings account they are probably the best bank/insurance/etc. company available IMO.

If you wanna get all high speed, look into Ft.Leonardwood. That's Sapper paradise, meaning Master Breachers course, CIED, explosive handling etc... The world of the Combat Engineer had opened up. I regret not staying in, because in reality, what I doesn't translate to the civilian world.

Understand, your MOS is a specialty. Not everyone can do it, nor will do it.

If you wanna get all high speed, look into Ft.Leonardwood. That's Sapper paradise, meaning Master Breachers course, CIED, explosive handling etc... The world of the Combat Engineer had opened up. I regret not staying in, because in reality, what I doesn't translate to the civilian world.

Understand, your MOS is a specialty. Not everyone can do it, nor will do it.

What're you doing now scotty?

I was a 19E/K-10 (armor crewman), did OSUT at Ft. Knox, then went to 1st Cav Ft. Hood and finished up with the 3/163rd ACAV (TXARNG). Just as you are doing, I went in as an E3 ... had no interest in OCS, got out as an E7.

In exchange for 6 years (4 active, 2 NG) the Army paid off all my college student loans, gave me some cash and if I ever decide to go back to college, that would be paid for also. There were many different enlistment programs with various incentives. Don't hesitate to ask about all of them. Take your time picking an MOS based on your test scores. If you can choose one which crosses over into civilian life thats a good idea too ... even though I didn't, I don't regret my choice.

Also :

When you have to sign a receipt for any equipment issue make sure and draw a line at your signature and write " nothing follows ". Supply guys are notoriously sneaky, try to make friends with them in your unit if you can ... verify every item you sign for.

Buy a decent but not too expensive pair of running shoes and break them in a little bit before you leave for basic training.

Motorpool NCO's take it personally when you break stuff, doesnt matter if its your fault or not.

Good Luck !

Edited by blazer427X3

(former) Air Force 10-years

1C1X1 Air Traffic Control

I could go on forever talking about it. Would do it over again in a heartbeat. Would change a few things but not much.

My biggest recommendation to anyone joining - "PICK A JOB THAT WILL GET YOU HIRED WHEN YOU GET OUT!"

I've seen to many people get into jobs, not careers that get them no where when they get out. Get something you can use, apply, and run with when you have to go to plan B, F, X, whatever....think, plan and look long term but always have multiple backups. The only thing that is certain is change (besides the hurry up and wait)..

Whatever, you do SIGN UP FOR THE GI BILL!! Even if you don't use it, your spouse, kids, family, etc. may be able to use it down the road. Or if you decide in 5 or 10 years to go back to school and get a Masters, whatever. It costs little and the payback is unbeatable...

After basic, call USAA and get setup with a checking/savings account they are probably the best bank/insurance/etc. company available IMO.

This is what I keep telling my younger brothers.

I served six years in the Air Force doing SATCOM. Been out since 2009 and have contracted overseas since. I dont pay taxes till after my first 95,000 of the year and my salary is north of 150k in Qatar with company provided house/car, and your allowed to drink here. I also did a year and half in Afghanistan which is worth an extra hundred dollars a day on what I do now.

None of it would be possible with out the Air Force.

Also dont be too worried about the desert, just do your job the right way. Ive been on at least 40 convoys and countless helicopter rides, and while there was some dicey moments. It wasnt anything that we couldnt overcome and all of us came home.

This is what I keep telling my younger brothers.

I served six years in the Air Force doing SATCOM. Been out since 2009 and have contracted overseas since. I dont pay taxes till after my first 95,000 of the year and my salary is north of 150k in Qatar with company provided house/car, and your allowed to drink here. I also did a year and half in Afghanistan which is worth an extra hundred dollars a day on what I do now.

None of it would be possible with out the Air Force.

Also dont be too worried about the desert, just do your job the right way. Ive been on at least 40 convoys and countless helicopter rides, and while there was some dicey moments. It wasnt anything that we couldnt overcome and all of us came home.

I couldn't have said it better! Get the right job and you are set. Some very sweet gigs around. I try to tell these guys enlisting but they think blowing shit up is more cool. I tell them, you'll feel a lot cooler when you get out and instead of making $20k a year you are making $20k a month... :D

A $30-90k sign on bonus is NOTHING in a few years...

<----- 12B Combat Engineer (8 years)

Get ready to love the FM 5-34.

You should be going to Ft.Leonardwood for basic/AIT. I did it back in 02 at Lost in the Woods. I can answer most of your questions regarding being a combat engineer. I've been through many phases of what we were, to what we've become. And an FYI, hope you like to blow shit up, because that's why I picked that MOS.

Sometimes you are the shit that blew up.

I was a 19E/K-10 (armor crewman), did OSUT at Ft. Knox, then went to 1st Cav Ft. Hood and finished up with the 3/163rd ACAV (TXARNG). Just as you are doing, I went in as an E3 ... had no interest in OCS, got out as an E7.

In exchange for 6 years (4 active, 2 NG) the Army paid off all my college student loans, gave me some cash and if I ever decide to go back to college, that would be paid for also. There were many different enlistment programs with various incentives. Don't hesitate to ask about all of them. Take your time picking an MOS based on your test scores. If you can choose one which crosses over into civilian life thats a good idea too ... even though I didn't, I don't regret my choice.

Also :

When you have to sign a receipt for any equipment issue make sure and draw a line at your signature and write " nothing follows ". Supply guys are notoriously sneaky, try to make friends with them in your unit if you can ... verify every item you sign for.

Buy a decent but not too expensive pair of running shoes and break them in a little bit before you leave for basic training.

Motorpool NCO's take it personally when you break stuff, doesnt matter if its your fault or not.

Good Luck !

This is all really good info. Especially getting an MOS that will help you later in life, if that's what you want to do. The best thing I've heard applying for a job since I ETS'd was 'so all that you can do is shoot bullets?'. No one is looking for 12B experience I guess, lol.