Military Service

Yasser-Hanbali

well fellow CR members, i know there are plenty of people on this board who have served this nation or are currently in the Service. first of all i would like to say thank you to everyone. i would also like to say that i have made the decision to join the United States Army. this has been a long road for me because i was getting turned away due to weight and BF% and how the army measures. Over the last 2 months i have been busting my ass and i can gladly say that yesterday i made tape not by a little but a whole lot. and i will be leaving with in the next month to month and a half. what i would like to know is everyone's personal experiences with the military, i have a lot of friends who are currently overseas or local and say they love it. But i also have many people who have never served asking me why?

also what are peoples ranks and MOS

im personally going in as an E3 due to college credits and will be going to AIT to become a Combat engineer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retired Fire Controlman Petty Officer 3rd Class (E4), US Navy

Tomahawk Weapon Control System Technician/Operator: NEC 1110

Tomahawk weapon control sounds like a fun time. also you can walk around like this :fuckyeah: saying you controlled a badass weapon system.

Congrats on seeing your hard work pay off, its a good feeling.

C-5 pilot here, just upgraded to the M, another year before I pin on Captain.

There are parts of it I love, and parts I can't stand, its usually different for everyone so just go in and try to enjoy it, I'm sure you won't regret it.

http://blog.flightstory.net/wp-content/uploads/c-5-galaxy.jpg

You'll see the sandbox more than once with that MOS.

I was an electronics guy but once out of AIT I did my job like twice in the following 7 years because I was attached to a wrench-turning unit full of derps. You're about to make some of the best friends in your life though, and experience some things that make life worth living. Just keep your mouth shut and ears open through basic and you'll be fine.

Im an E-4, 68W (combat medic) in the OH Army National Guard currently in Afghan. Im probably not the guy to talk to if you want someone to hype up the Army/Guard. My experiences have been a let down minus BCT/AIT. I was really dissapointed with our Drill weekends "training" or lack there of. Then i volunteered to come over here for what was going to be a good mission, only to have that cancled the day before we got into country and now we got the shaft on our mission. I come home in 4ish more mths then im out next March, so maybe then ill say i had some good times, but as of now, not so much. Sorry to be the buzz kill. Congrats on it though and im sure itll be different if your Active duty.

thank you to all, i know i talked to you a few weeks ago at sawmill dover. my plan for duty though since i will be in the national guard is be reserves until i finish school then, if i feel ready i may try for ranger school and go active for my last 2 years. it all really depends on how things fall into line.

Air National Guard, E-7, 12 years in June.

BE SURE TO USE YOUR BENEFITS! USAA is great for purchasing anything (especially insurance), VA loans, Thrift Savings Plan, GI Bill, Tricare Reserve Select, military discounts, etc. etc.

Air National Guard, E-7, 12 years in June.

BE SURE TO USE YOUR BENEFITS! USAA is great for purchasing anything (especially insurance), VA loans, Thrift Savings Plan, GI Bill, Tricare Reserve Select, military discounts, etc. etc.

trust me i am, all my federal loans go away if i score higher than 50 on my asvab, and the last time i took it in high school i scored in the 90's.

Out of curiosity, what is your reason for joining?

my reason for joining its always something that ive had on my mind, when i came of age i put it aside for college. but the more i thought about it i feel that i have been so blessed with my life with my ability to travel the world play with cars and just live almost care free. i figured i enjoy all of this and why should people the same age as me give their lives for this country and i shouldnt have to serve at all. a lot of it is also the thought im the kind of person lives and earns, i would rather do my time in the military and hate it than never do it and wish i did.

You and I have talked quite a bit about this. Glad to see it come together for you now. Keep me informed on your ship date. I hope to be home before you leave. I will show you what the Army won't about how to shoot. They process you through the range these days instead of train you well. Helps we can take our AR's an go do this. Your integrity is everything. Do the hard right over the easy wrong and your peers with trust you and look to you.

What you are going into will expose you to some exciting things. If you deploy, which there is a good chase of that, you will be in a field that needs people who master their craft. people reading this will think, isn't that all fields in the military? It's not. Some admin soldier screws up paper work, an award doesn't go through, someone pay might be messed up and fixed later.

Take the time to master what you do and care enough to correct others.

You and I have talked quite a bit about this. Glad to see it come together for you now. Keep me informed on your ship date. I hope to be home before you leave. I will show you what the Army won't about how to shoot. They process you through the range these days instead of train you well. Helps we can take our AR's an go do this. Your integrity is everything. Do the hard right over the easy wrong and your peers with trust you and look to you.

What you are going into will expose you to some exciting things. If you deploy, which there is a good chase of that, you will be in a field that needs people who master their craft. people reading this will think, isn't that all fields in the military? It's not. Some admin soldier screws up paper work, an award doesn't go through, someone pay might be messed up and fixed later.

Take the time to master what you do and care enough to correct others.

Joe, you are one in a million. Hard to find a senior NCO that still gives a damn. :)

I might have to get in on this AR action....