scan tools

Ryan218

OK, so I'm biased as I work for Standard Ignition and we sell the PC based OttoTest scan tool & J2534 device. You can see more information here:

http://www.ottotest.com/

It will set you back about $2500-$2600 if you use your own PC (I would recommend) or add another $900-$1000 for their touch screen tablet (no).

What you need to know is the inexpensive tools like those on the site you listed typically only access the "global" OBDII data. They do "pretty it up" in their displays and it is usefull (we only offer global data on european models). This global data has to be offered in a standard format by law. The "big dollar" scan tools offer "enhanced" data that must be purchased from the manufacturers. This "data" includes specific manufacturer's tests, bi-directional control of many components, access to body and chassis modules (global is main PCM only), and access to things like "GM Configuration" ot "Toyota Preference" settings (radio installs, set the door locks to all unlock in park, only one unlock, etc).

Our tool is also a fully functional J2534 Global Programmer. This allows you to do any factory reprogramming of modules on the car. In many cases you can change wheel/tire size & final drive ratio (to correct speedometers), and work with Ford PATS security. No, it does not support performance "custom" programming, sorry.

Just a little background that helps you kno what you're looking at.

You didn't describe the application or how often you would be using the tool. But I downloaded this app on my droid and purchased the OBD II bluetooth adapter off of ebay. All in I spent ~$70 and it works on just about everything OBD II. You can clear codes, log data, and monitor engine vitals in real time.

Webpage

http://torque-bhp.com/

OBD II adapter options

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters

i have an iphone but i was looking into that. i manily just want to be able to clear codes and monitor engine vitals. but i want to be able to use my latop to do so.

being able to have that much controll into the cars computer system i feel like id really mess some things up. for my next project i want to build another foxbody but that will be in a year or so and ill get maybe something like efi live. ( want to do a single turbo setup ) but for now i just want to be able to clear codes and monitor live engine data.

I use an OTC Genysis at the house.

We have probably at least 10 different ones at the shop. There is not one that does a "perfect" job at everything, but there are some that are much better than others. What sort of application are you looking to use it for?

The best one for your VW would be the VAGCOM being the factory tool. It is laptop based, you need to buy the OBDII cable that plugs into the USB port on your laptop.

On your Asian and American cars I would use the Genysis, or our Snap-on Verdict, neither of which are in-expensive for day to day personal use.

I use an OTC Genysis at the house.

We have probably at least 10 different ones at the shop. There is not one that does a "perfect" job at everything, but there are some that are much better than others. What sort of application are you looking to use it for?

The best one for your VW would be the VAGCOM being the factory tool. It is laptop based, you need to buy the OBDII cable that plugs into the USB port on your laptop.

On your Asian and American cars I would use the Genysis, or our Snap-on Verdict, neither of which are in-expensive for day to day personal use.

This. I prefer the Genysis/Mentor just because I've used them for so long. The manufacturers simply cannot address all models of cars and have a reasonably priced tool. For that reason, you have to look at what you will be working on for the most part, and then buy a tool that lines up with that. There are tons of options out there, but I haven't dealt with the tech behind their designs for a couple years now so I doubt I can answer too many questions about them anymore.