Anybody ever have problems falling asleep? You will now

Rustlestiltskin

This stuff freaks me out because I actually think I've seen shadow people before when i've woken up in the middle of the night and look down at the bottom of the bed or across the room. I would just freeze up and pull the sheets over my head lol srs. Its bad enough I freak myself out sometimes walking through the house when its pitch black in here. :no:

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_People

This is about another creature called "The Rake"

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rake

I can't speak to the stuff in your links, but what you describe as your experience sometimes when awakening is called a hynopompic state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompic and, although scary, is fairly well-understood by sleep researchers.

Because of my line of work, I have asked many thousands of people the routine question, "Have you ever seen or heard anything that you now know wasn't real?" Probably a fourth of people tell me about hypnopompic experiences, hynagogic hallucinations, or illusions -- none of these things are signs of mental illness and all have fairly simple neurologic explanations. I've found the most common hynopompic hallucination to be people awakening to see someone standing at the foot of their bed or sitting on their bed. Although the hallucination disappears in a few moments, people remember the experience all of their lives.

This stuff freaks me out because I actually think I've seen shadow people before when i've woken up in the middle of the night and look down at the bottom of the bed or across the room

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rake

I see them just about every other night. They are called "shadow children" in our house. When shadow children appear, one of a couple things happen.

First, without fail at least once per week we are woken up by a sudden adrenaline pumping deep as protective bark from our dog(s) as they jump up from sleeping as they get startled when one of our "shadow children

" make their way into our room.

Another instance is these damn "shadow children" are so quite that they don't even wake the dogs but instead stand 6" from your face and calmly say "daddy; daddy; daddy....can I have to go pee..."

Lastly, and most intrusive is when shadow children come crawling into bed with us. I usually find out as I roll over only to be greeted with tiny fist in my eye as they toss and turn. :dumb:

Didn't read, but I do have trouble falling asleep. The docs say I have to learn to shut my mind down, but I can't do that without a sedative of some sort. Insomnia is a bitch, with or without creepy-copy-pasta.

I usually find out as I roll over only to be greeted with tiny fist in my eye as they toss and turn. :dumb:

Lol watching my son sleep is like watching a damn ice cube in a blender, I don't have any idea how he can"recharge" with a good nights sleep flopping around like he does.

Didn't read, but I do have trouble falling asleep. The docs say I have to learn to shut my mind down, but I can't do that without a sedative of some sort. Insomnia is a bitch, with or without creepy-copy-pasta.

This ^

I have the same issue where I start thinking about things or thinking of what I could be doing instead of laying there. Usually ends up keeping me awake most of the night. My doctor told me to "just start on some of those things until I get tired" but I also hate to leave projects unfinished so I end up working on them all night and still not sleeping. The only thing that has worked for me is to basically bore myself to sleep by going to bed early and leaving anything and everything that could entertain or distract me as far from my reach as possible. I just lay there until my mind finally gives up and I fall asleep.

Not sure if serious or a troll.

Either way if you are religious you can say they are demons or something else that is negative. If you are a scientist you can say it is a normal part of dreaming in your brain. If you are a realist like me you forced yourself into lucid dreaming and make them appear and disappear. This is literally "all in your head". Once your conscious and subconscious brain accepts this fact you won't be bothered by it. You still might see shadows in the shape of someone or "floaters" but it will not give you a negative feeling.

I think things like these (shadow people, ghosts, aliens, etc.) are mere hallucinations programmed into the brain by evolution. The purpose to keep humans on guard and thinking about security, even when there isn't a threat directly perceived (but one might be noticed when senses are heightened - someone is startled out of sleep for instance.) Not that the brain has an extra-sensory perception, but the brain takes a gamble. If there is nothing there then no harm is really done and the person goes back to sleep or doing whatever they were before; if there is a predator stalking though the person could notice it when otherwise could have slept through and later awoken to being devoured.

Some people see the hallucinations more often just because their brain is "on guard" more. (a.k.a. "sensitive", a.k.a. they are paranoid). Almost everyone will not admit, externally or internally, that they perceive things that do not exist, so stories are made up to rationalize their sanity. Thus stories of shadow people are shared.

Because of my line of work, I have asked many thousands of people the routine question, "Have you ever seen or heard anything that you now know wasn't real?" Probably a fourth of people tell me about hypnopompic experiences, hynagogic hallucinations, or illusions -- none of these things are signs of mental illness and all have fairly simple neurologic explanations. I've found the most common hynopompic hallucination to be people awakening to see someone standing at the foot of their bed or sitting on their bed. Although the hallucination disappears in a few moments, people remember the experience all of their lives.

That is interesting and made me think if I had. I couldn't recall any but then remembered the time when I had stayed awake for 36+ hours consisting of working two shifts of my manual labor job in that time. Near the end of the 2nd work day I started seeing little monsters darting around my peripheral vision. White forms roughly triangular in shape, yet jagged and out of focus. I knew they weren't real and knew I was simply hallucinating from fatigue.

Also the "pasta" stories in those links were poorly written and retarded. The one about the rake especially.

When I was younger about 17 or 18 I had this "shadow" person follow me around everywhere for weeks, until it stopped. I've only seen it once since then. I'll just label it a demon.

where was it you saw it since?

This ^

I have the same issue where I start thinking about things or thinking of what I could be doing instead of laying there. Usually ends up keeping me awake most of the night. My doctor told me to "just start on some of those things until I get tired" but I also hate to leave projects unfinished so I end up working on them all night and still not sleeping. The only thing that has worked for me is to basically bore myself to sleep by going to bed early and leaving anything and everything that could entertain or distract me as far from my reach as possible. I just lay there until my mind finally gives up and I fall asleep.

Same here also. My brain just will not shut down. I start thinking about past occurences and current. I found a decent fix for that though. I take one tylenol pm a couple hours before I want to go to bed and when it starts to kick in to the point of me ready to pass out its bed time. I have taken a tylenol pm now for the past couple years. One usually does the trick.

Same here, but I refuse to medicate myself to sleep.

I usually just stay up late and get work done. Sometimes I count backwards from 300 in my head. It usually works.

This ^

Same here also. My brain just will not shut down. I start thinking about past occurences and current. I found a decent fix for that though. I take one tylenol pm a couple hours before I want to go to bed and when it starts to kick in to the point of me ready to pass out its bed time. I have taken a tylenol pm now for the past couple years. One usually does the trick.

Very interesting Doc. Several times per week my wife falls asleep on the couch while watching something on TV, I come into the room and make some type of noise, ie put down a cup and she jumps up eyes wide open and in terror looking at me or sometimes not really noticing me, but still in terror. She seems to be thinking someone is there and has done it her whole life according to her family. I figured she's just nuts, but now maybe not so much. I never really thought to ask if she knows what she's seeing, I'll have to try next time.

I can't speak to the stuff in your links, but what you describe as your experience sometimes when awakening is called a hynopompic state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnopompic and, although scary, is fairly well-understood by sleep researchers.