Automotive Paint Supplies? Jobbers?

zeitgeist57

I'm looking at repainting my Ford truck red again, but I would like it to be a satin/matte finish. Is there anyone on the board that works with DuPont/PPG/etc? I'd like to use a primer/single-stage color process for simplicity. I've looked extensively at the "cheap paint jobs" people have shared on the internet but I'd like to shoot for something that will be of slightly higher quality.

I've got the HVLP gun with regulator, water-separator, 80ga air compressor, etc...I've used it to lacquer-paint furniture in the past, but this will be my first car/truck. Any paint supply contacts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Clay I did a chevelle years back with pretty good results. I did the single stage product as well. Part of my prep included creating a small paint booth out of plastic in the garage and an old box fan for ventilation. I thought it was worth the added time as from previous paint projects either in the open or in the garage I learned that no matter how hard I tried, something always found its way into the paint.

I'm looking at repainting my Ford truck red again, but I would like it to be a satin/matte finish. Is there anyone on the board that works with DuPont/PPG/etc? I'd like to use a primer/single-stage color process for simplicity. I've looked extensively at the "cheap paint jobs" people have shared on the internet but I'd like to shoot for something that will be of slightly higher quality.

I've got the HVLP gun with regulator, water-separator, 80ga air compressor, etc...I've used it to lacquer-paint furniture in the past, but this will be my first car/truck. Any paint supply contacts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ditto.

Be interested to see what the end result is, keep us informed :)

Clay,

If you decide you do not want to tackle this job yourself my roommate, Justin, is a professional body man. I'm sure he would be interested in offering a little help as he is always looking for some side work.

PM me if you are interested in his contact info.

-Marc

Clay,

If you decide you do not want to tackle this job yourself my roommate, Justin, is a professional body man. I'm sure he would be interested in offering a little help as he is always looking for some side work.

PM me if you are interested in his contact info.

-Marc

Damnit I need these hookups for my truck hmm maybe a road trip haha

Welp...

Visited Ohio Auto Kolor on W. Broad and met with Mike. Great guy...definitely the right shop to get information from (Thanks, AJ!)

HOWEVER...

Paint - any red kolor I want, matte/satin finish, metallic, WTF-ever, $216.71/gal

Hardener - $53.83/qt

Reducer (thinner for spray) $30.38/qt

Rust converter (for the frame) - $25.42

Respirator - $24.10

WITH TAX................$374.09

Aside from the price of materials, my new worries are that I will still be a little worried about overspray and SMELL going into my neighbors' yard. :eek: Also, I remember in HOT ROD Magazine (and Mike confirmed it) that if I set up a plastic tent in my garage - even with a blower fan - my house WILL smell like curing paint for the next couple of weeks...definitely something I don't want either.

I'm posting these details so others can learn what I'm learning...there IS no $100 paint job!!! :fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu:

Edited by zeitgeist57
Ninja Edit :)

Welp...

Aside from the price of materials, my new worries are that I will still be a little worried about overspray and SMELL going into my neighbors' yard. :eek: Also, I remember in HOT ROD Magazine (and Mike confirmed it) that if I set up a plastic tent in my garage - even with a blower fan - my house WILL smell like curing paint for the next couple of weeks...definitely something I don't want either.

Had similar concerns about smell/fumes. My plan was to rig up a 1XXXCFM exhaust/blower fan with an inline charcoal filter, should be the ticket.