Sister needs some one to remove + repair gas tank in a sportage

Browning

99 or 2000 Kia Sportage, 4 door 4x4. Bottom of tank has a hole and has been rigged before with some sort of putty. Noticed a few weeks ago that the tank was wet but now it's a drip.

Guessing having some one remove it and weld it, or whatever they do to repair them would be cheaper than having some one install a new tank?

Any of you have experience with this and can recommend some one and/or give a round about price estimate?

Is it a metal tank? Or plastic.. Would probably be easier replacing..

Not sure if its expired or not, but there was a recall on the fuel tanks for leaking.. Maybe call the kia dealer and find out if they will still cover it?

Model: Sportage

Group: Fuel System(14)

Number: KT2006050901

Date: Thursday, May 11, 2006

This bulletin provides information related to a service campaign to inspect the fuel tank on certain 1996 - 2002 Sportage models. This service campaign is in response to an inquiry by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) involving possible fuel leakage, mainly in older Sportages.

i can say you probably wont find too many shops willing to weld on a gas tank, too much risk. and when they do, i know the old way was to fill the tank with sand in an effort to keep it from exploding. im not sure if they still do it that way, but i have heard of people having problems from it down the road with fuel filters and pumps because they couldnt get all the sand out when finished welding. you could probably find a good tank at the junk yard for less than you could have that one repaired.

There is a company out there that inserts a "bladder" of some sort inside the tank to hold the fuel. Then the body of the tank just becomes a protector. I can't tell you the name of the company or how much it costs, but your best bet would be replacement with used.

step father went over to attempt it but the lines on the pump from the used tank are different. Not sure why they'd want to use the junkyard pump anyways and after I told them this they mentioned they can't get the pump out cause you have to have a special tool for the kia pumps to remove it and no one has one.

step father went over to attempt it but the lines on the pump from the used tank are different. Not sure why they'd want to use the junkyard pump anyways and after I told them this they mentioned they can't get the pump out cause you have to have a special tool for the kia pumps to remove it and no one has one.

Never had an issue replacing them before.

I know you can get under the trucka nd get a peice of rough sand paper scuff it up. get a tube of Seal All(make sure surface is clean and prepped) It will seal the leak with gas coming out ect.

its made to fix gas tanks coolant tanks oil tanks ect.

I used it once on a blazer I drove to marion to buy left dudes house filled it up gas started pouring out. I went to dollar general & got that & a peice of sand paper crawled under it as gas was running out used it it sealed right away and was still holding up when truck got wrecked by a buddy of mines 16 year old sun 3 years later