CAR PC

AC66Bronco

depending on system specs and if you buy some parts used or new around 300-500

i put together my first one i built just with spare PC parts and only had to buy the screen. Most geeks these days have lots of parts laying around that would work great.

centerfuse sucks.

they have apps for ODB

can pop in a flash drive for music as well as keep in on the tablet

apps for HD and satellite radio.

tablet can be instant on.

i dont see your potatoes.

if you want to do a bulk complex build then so be it, most people pull there hair out getting the Car pcs to work right.

Ok here is what I would like it to do

I know how to assemble and format i just dont know jack about picking the components.

I am a huge audiophile and movie buff so storage is a must

must have amazing sound!

touch screen

steering wheel controls

navigation

use hptuners from it

diagnostics

internet

email

AM/FM Radio... HD? Sat?

Bluetooth

Data logging

Back up camera?

able to use keyboard and mouse would be nice.

Idiot proof is a plus.

If you can think of any other useful fetures I am missing I would be all ears.

I wanted it all to be self contained in one unit but Justin brought up a good point about if my car gets broken into all they might snag is the touch screen. Another benifit is if the pc is removable I could take it in at night and have a HTPC.

Thanks Andy

Been thinking about car pc (im a PC engineer). I can tell you pc beats iphone/tablets in every category. Also my pc boots faster than any tablet. SATA3 with SSD destroys anything in a tablet. laptop/pc's cold boot in under 5 seconds. Resume in less than .01 Also windows8 is very touch friendly, using now and is great.

Dumb question, can you get hd audio from a tablet? I know androids have HDMI but can with their integrated cpu/gpu can it output DTSHD/Dolby HD? I'd love to be able to run 7.1 in my car.

Also, I run my whole home with computers and media center. Nothings better than $6 a month for Time Warner cable card and having all 1000+ channels with unlimited DVR and 3 channel HD recording anywhere in the home. Also with Girder, or other Home Automation, you could easily open your garage door automatically when you hit wifi and close when you leave wifi. options are endless and no restrictions like with tablets