Impact wrenches

Yes. No idea why people buy the IR one for twice as much and half the warranty. Other techs at the shop would always come borrow my impact when their snap on wouldn't take a bolt loose. It was the first and only 1/2" impact I've ever bought and I've only lubed or oiled it a hand full of times in the 11 years I've owned it.

Guest Hal

Another vote for IR. Most of the larger tool companies have either copied IR's designs or simply re-badge IR guns and sell them as their own. They're higher quality and perform better than pretty much anything else on the market. I also wouldn't do electric if I didn't have a need for the extra mobility. You give up a lot of the power features found in the motors of pneumatic guns when you switch to electric.

As far as power is concerned, one thing you want to look at is NBT (nut busting torque). The highest ratings guns get are for NBT which is a momentary force. That is the number that will actually break a stubborn bolt loose.

for the battery powered snap on are you guys using 14.4 or 18v?, been looking at one myself as my apartment garage doesnt have electricity so no compressor :(

Does it have an electric opener or at least lights on the outside? If so, you got electric. :gabe:

I was the only person in the shop that day making money, because of the cordless impacts and I wasn't lazy, I was the only one willing to use a floor jack. Its amazing how spoiled some tech's are when it comes to actual physical labor

+1

I have a Craftsman professional series 1/2" that just died. It came with the box I bought and had already been used for unknown # of years before me.

I now have the latest Snap-On 3/8" and 1/2". Got the 1/2" off the truck as a reposession that was only a month or 2 old.

I don't have electric stuff yet as I don't have the need for them...yet.

I on the other hand LOVE my little 1/4" electric that I use for trim stuff.

Picked these up today, will report back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MegamanEXE/8d852f27.jpg

Yes, please keep us posted, I am learning toward the same direction.

Get something as light and quiet as possible the weight is the problem with the electrics plus they are weaker. I have a ingersol rand quiet gun not sure if they still make it but its light and I can talk to someone while using it which is a plus since you don't want to try to go deaf. I have crush pinion sleeves with it so it is plenty strong