Craziest camera lens I've ever seen.

Farkas

Welcome to 1972. :gabe:

I just have two questions....

1. Why (assuming that "just to see if we can / for the lulz" isn't valid)

2. If there's a legitimate answer to #1, why hasn't anybody continued making or improving on these specialty fish-eyes?

I just have two questions....

1. Why (assuming that "just to see if we can / for the lulz" isn't valid)

2. If there's a legitimate answer to #1, why hasn't anybody continued making or improving on these specialty fish-eyes?

Sheer cost... I think I saw this one was purchased at some crazy price like 100k.

Sheer cost... I think I saw this one was purchased at some crazy price like 100k.

Ok, so they're pricey. But if there *is* legitimate uses for these things, then why aren't they being improved and marketed? Nobody bats an eye when dropping a couple million on a backup generator, because you need the thing. If this fisheye thing has a purpose, then it should create a self-sustaining market.

Ok, so they're pricey. But if there *is* legitimate uses for these things, then why aren't they being improved and marketed? Nobody bats an eye when dropping a couple million on a backup generator, because you need the thing. If this fisheye thing has a purpose, then it should create a self-sustaining market.

The most widely used fisheye lenses I know of are used on rear automotive back-up camera's. This things can go from 180-195 deg FOV, IIRC. Of course, those are much smaller and cheaper.

The answer is simple; ROI.

A specialty lens like this is exactly that. The one here was initially designed for an expedition to Antartica. The view allowed for the user to capture the entire sky and surrounding ground when pointed straight up. No real practical use related to the costs involved producing it really warrant the investment. Not when a more typical fisheye can produce upwards of 180-200* views on the cheap.

I shoot events for a living and even as a hobby, while fisheye lenses are cool, I don't even see the need to buy one. I could probably sell my services and make use of one, but not having one isn't limiting my work or ability to get work, so I see no real ROI.

Just my two cents.