Best Grinding Wheel for Mild Steel?

hpfiend

Hey all-

What do you use to grind large quantities of mild steel? I cut all the brackets off this ford 8.8 with a cut off wheel and oxy/acetylene torch but I still have about a 1/4" before I hit the axle tube that I need to remove. I bought the most coarse blue-green flapper wheels that the hardware store had and it is still taking forever and going through them quickly... I have 6 to grind down about 4" long by 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick....

Will one of those 40-60.00 diamond wheels do it? I don't like how much they cost but if it lasts a really long time it might be worth it... they are made for concrete and granite though...dunno about their steel rating.

I am using electric harbor freight 4.5" angle grinder and I have a makita as well- both seem to work about the same... I have a few cheap air grinders as well but as of right now don't have a good enough air supply to run them...

Just use a normal grinding wheel. A tigerpaw is for finishing it off to smooth the surface so you don't have chatter marks left over.

The grinding wheels I have are really slow and like firebush said it is easier not to gouge with the flapper wheel...- the flapper takes off more material but wears out quickly... I guess I just better suck it up and keep going... I am talking probably 4 solid hours of grinding.

Is a diamond wheel what you are referring to as a tiger paw?

When i cut the brackets off of my 8.8 i used the solid 40 grit grinding wheels that came from harbor freight then finished it off with the flapper sanding wheels.

Heres how mine turned out.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/turboking11/2012-01-14_00-51-28_413.jpg

this thing was real nasty too as i pulled it from an explorer in a junk yard.

When i cut the brackets off of my 8.8 i used the solid 40 grit grinding wheels that came from harbor freight then finished it off with the flapper sanding wheels.

This is exactly what I do once I plasma or torch something off.

Is a diamond wheel what you are referring to as a tiger paw?

Nope. I just call them tiger paws because this is the brand we use to use at work when we ran out of metabo brand stuff.

http://images.craigslist.org/5Gd5K75F23n93Fd3N5c3t69e504d0acf61fe9.jpg