3 years and some luck!!

Dr. Apex

Well I've had my car for just over 3 years now, 28k miles I've put on it, 3 track weekends, a number of autocrosses, and generally driving the piss out of the car and it finally gave me it's first problem.

After driving 2000 miles to Phoenix it breaks down just as I get into town. The coil and plug popped out of cyl 8 somehow. The plug is still attached to the coil so no internal engine damage happened from the plug dropping down in the cyl that we can tell, the thread on the plug is intact save for the first 2 threads which are slightly bent, it looks as though the plug just wasn't tightened enough and worked it's way back out somehow from when there were changed last fall. The coil is done from hitting the fuel rail but luckily it wasn't damaged either.

All in all I've been lucky with this car, and luckier with when it decided to give me trouble(especially considering I was just climbing mountains with the a/c on).

Say what you want about Fords or Mustangs, I am happy with mine!:fuckyeah:

Yeah, I was thinking we might have to go that route in a worst case scenario. No signs of coolant at all so that doesn't appear to be a factor. We'll know for sure as soon as the new parts arrive and we try to get the new plug in, it looks like it's ok though.

^Yes, I just hope the slight bend in them was caused from being beat around in the valve cover well, we'll find out shortly but from what the tech could tell the threads on the head look intact.

Thats a deep hole to be checking in LOL, thankfully enough the tool needed to repair these threads is very easy to get a hold of these days.

Well, the threads in the head are stripped. Couldn't be anything except the guy who installed them last fall, so I'm not very happy right now. Now I'm worried about the rest of the plugs, problem is if they are stripped as well I don't want to pull them too just to check and not be able to get them back in as well. Just going to fix the problem were aware of and go from there, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Well, the threads in the head are stripped. Couldn't be anything except the guy who installed them last fall, so I'm not very happy right now. Now I'm worried about the rest of the plugs, problem is if they are stripped as well I don't want to pull them too just to check and not be able to get them back in as well. Just going to fix the problem were aware of and go from there, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Yea you have to be very elaborate with the three thread 2 valve heads. Anti Seize and 13 FT/LBs and you wont have an issue. I ran 16 psi through the lighting with ported cams 3 thread heads with no issues for 2 years and then the next owner blew the built motor:dumb:

Yeah, and because it's cyl 8 he can't get in there to do a proper helicoil so it looks like were going to have to do the patch version as I don't have the money to take the heads off and do it right.

Anyone interested in a low mileage 4.6 sohc needing minor head work??

Yeah, and because it's cyl 8 he can't get in there to do a proper helicoil so it looks like were going to have to do the patch version as I don't have the money to take the heads off and do it right.

Anyone interested in a low mileage 4.6 sohc needing minor head work??

They have a tool so you can do it ON the car

They have a tool so you can do it ON the car

Apparantly it's stripped out too big to do anything with, the shop can't even do anything with it to help and I'm sure they would if they could at least to make some money. I don't think I want to fuck with this motor at all, will probably pull it before long and sell it to do an aluminator.

$700 is fine, doubt you could get here by tonight though, it's a long drive from your neck of the woods.

it can deff be fixed in the car. If that shop wont do it find another that will

these are my thoughts as well. get on modularfords.com or svtperformance.com and ask around. i've never heard of having to pull the heads/motor to do a helicoil.

I figure a helicoil might still work or this Time sert thing, I've debated talking to the owner of the shop who installed the plugs last fall but I think it will be far more hassle than it's worth.

There are a number of shops down here that should be able to do this easily, one guy on another board said he works at a Ford dealer and does these time serts here and there, they usually charge around $300 in total to do it, will have to weight my options but the most important thing is I want it done right!