House shopping and garages?

Trouble Maker

I have a 24 x 24 2-car (extra deep) and it's pretty nice. Ideally I would like to have a 3-car so that my Jeep doesn't have to sit out in the winter, but otherwise it has worked out perfectly for me. I have plenty of room along the back wall for a workbench and tons of storage shelves and cabinets but I can still easily fit 2 motorcycles in front and 2 cars behind with room to spare for mowers and such. It seems you're limited to a 2 car most likely, so see if you can get into a deeper garage if you can. It's a pretty good compromise.

Better still - buy my house! :gabe:

I would just buy a 1-car, and a shed. Put as much stuff that rusts into the shed as you can, put the nicest car you have in the garage, and park everything else next to the garage or in front of it.

Don't overlook throwing down some gravel/roadbase next to your garage so you can park a second car next to it...possibly build a car-port. That can be done on the cheap, such that you can delay the expense of a new garage for a few years.

This is almost exactly the way we are leaning leaning. If we find a house we love with a 2 car, that's fine. But limiting our search to 2 car garages does just that, limits our search. The fact is, we aren't going to get exactly what we want at the price we want. We will have to fix/update the house over time. Let’s chat next time at C&C, or we can go grab drinks again.

I have a 24 x 24 2-car (extra deep) and it's pretty nice.

One of the houses I think we are going to look at has a really nice looking (from the outside) 24x24 2 car all block garage. That wouldn't be horrible, all things considered. Another open house we went to, which for a variety of reason we didn't like the house, had an 18x18 2 car garage. Why even bother? :dumb:

When they talk about structure (house, garage) dimensions, are they talking external or internal. So is that 24x24 block garage 24x24 on the outside, and more like 22x22 on the inside. Or is it 24x24 on the inside?

Better still - buy my house! :gabe:

Dela-where? No thanks bruh. :gabe:

Can I ask the question of why Clintonville? What's the draw? Are you looking to be close to Whetstone Park, or are you just looking for the charm of an older home?

I just checked Realor.com and saw a handful of (what I would consider) descent homes ranging from 1-3 car garages, but it's hit-or-miss. Some 1 cars looked like they would be easy to add on to, others are locked in. From what I've seen three car garages are hard to find in most places inside the city. But I think it will be a real headache to build one down the road and deal with permits, city codes, angry neighbors, etc.

Can I ask the question of why Clintonville? What's the draw? Are you looking to be close to Whetstone Park, or are you just looking for the charm of an older home?

Charm of an older home, neighborhood feel, in the city/near downtown, walking distance to food & drinks and other interesting things to do are all high up on the list for us. Near the bike path is nice but not a must.

We aren't locked into Clintonville, but we can't really think of another place we would really want to live. I'm all ears if there's another place we should look. Many of the other places that may fit our criteria, housing prices and often taxes are even higher. For example, old downtown of any of the burbs, German Village or Short North. We are planning on not having kids so schools don't matter to us. So we would rather not pay the increased housing and property tax prices that come with some of those (not Columbus) areas too.

buy the house you want right from the start. adding shit onto a house is expensive, and you won't get that money back when/if you resell--no matter what you think. we've done tons of crap to our house and are embarking on a huge addition this fall---not my choice, but i need a workout room in our basement, and my wife wants a big first floor master. i expect to lose 50% or more of that addition when/if i resell. its just a fact of life at this point in real estate, and i don't see it going anywhere.

we have a 3 car garage attached and a huge detached. the 3 car is not set up correctly. my wife's SUV fits in the middle space (its too long for the spot closest the house. it leaves no room to park on the other side of it (with all our kids' crap). its just not set up well. so we only use 1 spot in that garage, unless its snowing, then i squeeze my exploder in.

What in the code says no to this? I'm just trying to understand the code, since it's not so clear. I'm not seeing what would bar it at this house, just as an example? This is the reason for my question, so I understand the code before I buy a house and how that effects what I can or can not build. That way, I don't get into a house, assuming I can build a larger garage and then I can't.

I slightly mis-quoted the code for garages in this case, I think. The last one was for "planned community districts", I think, and therefore had some provision about no more than a 2 car garage. I think this one is the more appropriate one? http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.38PRGA

Side lines code, 3 feet no? That doesn't seem like a huge hurdle. http://library.municode.com/HTML/16219/level2/TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI.html#TIT33ZOCO_CH3332REDI_3332.26MISIYAPE

I just meant you cannot exceed 720 SF total for a garage. I miscalculated my garage sizes. You can fit a 720 sf 3-car garage so long as it isnt more than 45% of that rear yard, and fits within whatever setbacks may be there. yes it is 3' on the sides, INCLUDING any overhangs. You dont want to have to rate those, though it is easy with some type-X gyp.

I would venture to say that on that property, you should be alright. I have put more on less!

When they talk about structure (house, garage) dimensions, are they talking external or internal. So is that 24x24 block garage 24x24 on the outside, and more like 22x22 on the inside. Or is it 24x24 on the inside?[/Quote]

I don't know, so I just measured mine and it's 23' x 23' at the inside of the inner walls (mine is insulated and walled in with plywood.

Dela-where? No thanks bruh. :gabe:

:fa:

I just meant you cannot exceed 720 SF total for a garage. I miscalculated my garage sizes. You can fit a 720 sf 3-car garage so long as it isnt more than 45% of that rear yard, and fits within whatever setbacks may be there. yes it is 3' on the sides, INCLUDING any overhangs. You dont want to have to rate those, though it is easy with some type-X gyp.

I would venture to say that on that property, you should be alright. I have put more on less!

Thanks, while it is a house we are going to look at, it's just an example to make sure I understood the code correctly before we bought a house. At this point, I think I would rather buy something with a 1 car and build a kick ass 3 car 720sqft a few years down the road, rather than a 2 car. I don't see many houses having <1600sqft backyard (1600*.45=720sqft). But if it has a nice 2 car, I'm sure we will take it. :)

Well, in the area that we are looking, primarily Clintonville, things are different than in new builds or out in the burbs, from what we can tell. More than 2 car garages are very, very, uncommon. Attached garages are not very common either, we've only been in a few with breezeways or Florida rooms 'attaching' them (techinically not attached but most buyers will consider them attached). Probably 90% of the houses have detached garages in this neighborhood.

From what I can tell on realtor.com, there are 259 houses for sale in Clintonville, and this is the break down. 9 have a 3 car or more garage, 149 have 2 or more, 86 have 1 or more and 24 have no garage at all. So about 40/60, less than 2 car/2 car or more.

If we get a 1 car garage, we will build a 3 car a few years down the road. 1 car=less expensive right now and we can build exactly what we want later. Really, less expensive means we can sacrifice the garage right now and get other things in the house, within our price range (better location or larger/nicer house). So yes, in a perfect world we could get exactly what we want right now, but that's not within our price range.

May also want to check with the city if you can build that large of a garage down the road you may be limited on the size of what you can build.

I wouldn't even waste your time. If you seriously aren't going to live there the rest of your life....you will NEVER get the money back that you plan/think/want to put into it making it yours, garage/house addition, etc..

Buy/Build exactly what YOU want the first time and don't even mess around with someone elses old heap that you'll have to change anyway.

I wouldn't even waste your time. If you seriously aren't going to live there the rest of your life....you will NEVER get the money back that you plan/think/want to put into it making it yours, garage/house addition, etc..

Buy/Build exactly what YOU want the first time and don't even mess around with someone elses old heap that you'll have to change anyway.

Truth, especially right now, I hope I never see interest rates this low ever again in my life, if we do it means the economy is in the shitter again. Right now people have the ability to afford more than ever and people should take advantage.

Stats I saw on the today show from the lady that is on "Shark Tank" and has a huge real estate background:

A loan payment today for a house at 3.8% intrest is $1000 the exact same loan payment at 5% intrest is $1207.

I have been told at the beginning of next year "the fed" plans to raise rates as it's believed the real estate market hit rock bottom 2 months ago and is showing signs of recovery.

We took advantage of this time and are going to be locking in a 3.8-4% interest rate fixed for 30 years soon. As we are approaching our 90 day mark until the house will be complete. If you want to build a house and have this low of rate you will have to start with a builder this month, in order to have the house done before next year. We started our house in mid February. It's been tough, but our house sold offically Friday, and we are now in an apartment with a 3 month lease left and will move in to our new house in August-September.